Anyone lose lots of weight eating in the 50-100g of carbs per day range?

Options
healthygoose
healthygoose Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
I'm new to low-carbing. I have been trying to eat well (lean meats, veggies, occasional fruit, and some nuts). By doing so, I've noticed my carbs naturally in the 40-65ish range per day. Has anyone had success staying in a 50-100g carb range daily and lost a good amount of weight. I need to lose 50-70 pounds. Just trying to find a good starting number.

Replies

• healthygoose
    healthygoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear! TY for responding.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Me too, lost around 25 lbs eating 50-80 grams a day. See my avatar photo for the progression--ups and downs, but eventually lost it. Now 3 years later, gained back 5 lbs over the Christmas holidays, sad to say.
  • physio52
    physio52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Will that level still control blood glucose? I have brought mine back down to normal levels (30 mmol UK measures) on 30 grams a day and would like to ease back a bit. Still aim to not have bread, potatoes, rice and pasta but would like more veg and fruit.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    physio52 wrote: »
    Will that level still control blood glucose? I have brought mine back down to normal levels (30 mmol UK measures) on 30 grams a day and would like to ease back a bit. Still aim to not have bread, potatoes, rice and pasta but would like more veg and fruit.

I think you are right it totally depends on how they are budgeted. 100grams on white bread and 100grams on fibrous greens are totally different :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    physio52 wrote: »

Check with the glucose meter. I claim this is going to depend on lots of things, and will be different for each individual. As a general rule, lower carbs are going to be better. For me anyway, gravy made with flour will make mine spike despite being a small number of carbs. I can eat a lot of leafy greens and not see anything unusual.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 40lbs since Dec averaging 80gm of carbs a day. If I start to get cravings I’ll drop them to about 60gm for a little while.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Me! My goal is 100 total per day. My husband lost 60 pounds in about 8 months with a daily goal of 150. Both of us have issues with blood glucose (pcos for me, prediabetes for him) and we’re both regulated with diet alone (this may vary for others- I initially had to go to 50 gm per day to regulate my blood sugar).
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mark has a "carb curve" and 50-100g total carbs per day should still be in weight loss range.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/

It is all about what you eat though. When I did Atkins about 10 years ago, we were eating a lot of meat and I had to stay under 20g net carbs (total - fiber) to stay in weight loss zone. As soon as I started adding more veggies or fruits, weight plateu. I think the Atkins recommendation was a good way to find your personal limit, because everyone has a different metabolism. Start for 2 weeks super low, zero sugar <20g carbs per day. That breaks your carb addiction and gets you fully into ketosis. then start adding in more variety of vegetables and increasing carbs each week until you find that your weight is leveled off and that is going to be your max. Aim for 10g to 20g each day under your max to stay in weight loss zone.

I understand now that protein also causes rise in insulin and blood sugar, it's just much slower and less than with carbs. I also realize now that "cheat days" put me out of ketosis for several days of no progress. This time, I'm following more of a keto diet with moderate protein levels and filling the calories with more fats, I find that I can be a little more relaxed about the carbs and still lose -but it's slow.

I'm eating around 50g - 100g total carbs per day and have lost 14 pounds this year. I've also added 16:8 intermittent fasting, which has helped and that has also improved my glucose readings over what I had last year on only low carb.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I can lose easily on 75 grams, BUT I am someone who must also watch calories. :(
  • dlcharles
    dlcharles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thank you for all for sharing. Saw here and learning. Starting out at 75 carbs to make transition.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    I can lose easily on 75 grams, BUT I am someone who must also watch calories. :(

Yeah I am the same way. I have to watch what I eat and how many calories I consume. I will plateau from stress as well so I have to do extra things like meditate and stay active which seems to put me into a state of losing a pound or two a week as long as I am diligent. I am coming up on my one year of LCD and I've lost 42 pounds so far and still have about 20 more to go and I don't think I've hit a consistent 20g carbs per day in that time. Some days are more some days are less but typically not over 100g.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    100g a day is still low carb.
    All the keto attention makes people think it isn’t.
    I lost 80+pounds in 8months in that range.
    Good luck!

Exactly! The average American eats between 225-325g of carbs per day, so anything less than that can technically be considered low carb. Of course, the lower that you can get the number the better because then the body will learn to use other fuel sources than just glucose to burn for energy, making the body overall more efficient. When not doing Keto I average around 75g of carbs per day and still feel great, within that number I'm still eating tons of veggies and occasionally even things like rice and potatoes. It is totally doable when you cut out the bulk of the processed foods and sugars. Keto is great, but it isn't the end all be all of low carb dieting either.

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can--I previously did the 21Day Fix and would guess that 1 cup a day of oatmeal/sweet potato/brown rice etc. plus the 2 cups of fruit had to put me around the 100 gram a day range, and that was a very effective way to lose weight. I did find it harder (that specific diet) than keto because of the portions being small, but definitely had no issues losing weight on it, just sticking to it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can--I previously did the 21Day Fix and would guess that 1 cup a day of oatmeal/sweet potato/brown rice etc. plus the 2 cups of fruit had to put me around the 100 gram a day range, and that was a very effective way to lose weight. I did find it harder (that specific diet) than keto because of the portions being small, but definitely had no issues losing weight on it, just sticking to it!

I think this is why a lot of people do better with adherence on lower amounts of carbs. Many find it easier to just cut out foods completely than to try to just do small amounts of stuff and watch the portions like a hawk.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lose on 60 grams net carbs(100-120 total) consistantly.