May we all hit PRs (May lifting thread)

It's May! And in Philly, we skipped straight from winter to summer this week. 50 degrees on Sunday, 89 this Thursday. So long, spring.

I've started walking/strollering to the gym and back again, trying to add some more steps and a little extra calorie burn. It's a mile and change each way, with lots of hills, so it does get my heart rate up pushing a 38 lb preschooler in a 15 lb stroller.

I did legs on Monday, which was technically in April, but I'll post it today.
Squats: 3/3/3 @ 125/135/145. Knee is still feeling good, depth looks good.
Sumo DL: 6/6/6 @ 125. Easy peasy.
Seated row: 8/8/8 @ 85
Two point plank: 12/12/12

Today:
Bench press: 5/5/5 @ 82/87/92
OHP: 8/8/8 @ 62
Triceps cable pulldown/Facepull super sets: TCP 35x10, FP 50x8 for 3 sets each
TRX assisted pullup from floor: 10/5/5/5
TRX row: 10/10/10

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    :) yay a new thread.

my left-side bum is getting thicker and more muscle-ey once again, under the influence of i'm-not-sure-which-things i've been doing lately. still hurts, still way too responsive to pain and still gives me the tendon trouble. and i am CONVINCED that some kind of minor obstruction or grit-thing or something is in there somewhere. a little flapping hangnail of torn labrum material, something like that.

but sports doc blew that idea off when i tried (really did) to bring it up back in feb. accordign to him it's just a cluster of dysfunctional nerve tissue embedded in the tendon, and if i get the tendon to sort itself out it will go away on its own. he talks about 'pain receptors' that don't belong there, that are just kind of . . . well, the way he talked about it reminded me of endometriosis descriptions, except this is nerve.

in any case, i'm still not happy and still don't feel like i'm more than 40% of the way towards anything. but nonetheless, still plodding away on my attempts to calm that side down.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Short workout today. Also, my least favorite so it took 10 minutes of pep talking in the parking lot to go inside:

SLRDL - 1x8, 2x6 @ 25 pounds - these unilateral things still suck
    Pushups - 3x8 - My depth was for crap...about 3", but on the floor, on my toes! This is big for me.
    Inverted Rows - 3x8 - felt really easy today.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Shoulder rehab program, W5D1: The return of the Lat Cramp

Started off with 6 min of animal walk practice (all over the place, too much stuff to list, but good full body warm-up!)

Did the band pull-aparts 5x5 high and low... used the black band for 3 sets, but not sure it was the best idea. Wasn't feeling quite right?

Some double under practice. Was going for 20 for time, cap of 4 minutes. I got 21 in 2:45! (and a string of 11 without tripping! NEW PR!) And added another 3-4 in the rest of the time, trying to change my rhythm a bit so I can work towards actually stringing them together instead of the 3:1 ration I'm doing with single unders.

But, as you can guess from the title... things went a litte south. I'm getting a little frustrated with this whole thing and I tried to add a little weight today.

I mean, ball push-ups went okay. Still elevating the ball 18' off the ground and the sets were 9-1 and 5-4-1. Something about going with a 2-0-2 tempo and being unstable just kills my strength and endurance O_o

face pulls went okay, I guess. Still having such a hard time not engaging the front of my left shoulder to pull back (as weird as it sounds... my humerus slips forward into the socket and I'm essentially pulling it back with my front delt when that happens, with my lats kicking in in the back because the rear delts/shoulder capsule just compeltely shuts off at that point). Right side is another story. Everything is going smooth there...

arm wrestlers weren't too bad.

floor rocking planks I managed 30/30 on both sets with minimal rest, so, okay, not that bad.

Then I moved on to barbell rows. I was just so excited to be able to do a bilateral move!
    45x8, 65x8, 75x2x8

Back of my left shoulder felt a little pinchy, but nothing crazy. I figured it was tired from everything else, yanow?

So I moved on to barbell OHP. 45x5 went okay?
    Then 2 sets of 55x8. They were hard. Not that long ago I could do 70+ for sets of 8! So I was like, hey, I can handle 60, right? Got 6 reps. Shoulder did a weird little crackly thing on some reps, too. Like, it wasn't set in the socket quite right. And then it started happening. When setting my shoulderblades back, that pinch in my lat on the left.

I did 2 sets of 1 arm rows to try and "reset" that, along with light bottoms up press. Damage was done. The knot won't let up.

So I will be calling my physio to schedule an appointment. I wanted this program to work, gave it a chance, but there's obviously something going on here that a cookie-cutter list of moves won't address.

I'm still going to try to bench a bit on friday, tho >_> Shhh
  • krokador
    I did not sleep well. Stupid period. Maybe 5 hours total. So, so tired today -_-'

I was dreading this one, too. Almost decided to skip it today.

Back squats warm-up: 45x5/10/15/10, 75x4/8/12/10, 105x6, 135x4

Broad jumps x10 (reset completely between jumps): I actually made one that was clearly beyond the 6 foot line! Small progress, but progress nonetheless (and I was feeling anythig BUT explosive this morning...)

Back squats, 165x5x5, 2 min rest between sets.
    SUH. KEH. DEUH.
    All 5th reps were major grinders. Some 4th reps were also fairly ugly. And the last set... the last set... I must've stood there, with the bar on my back, wobbling, trying to suck in a proper breath, feeling like the world was spinning 'round me for a good 30s. I considered phoning it in. After 1. 2. 3. definitely 4. I'm still not sure how I moved that back up...

For some reason my sheet called for 3x5 front squats again (?), so I figured I must've made a mistake when writing my log and had no way to double check, so I went with the usual pattern for this day.

3x5 bulgarian split squat. 45/55/55lbs - wasn't going to push it after what happened last week

RDLs 95x12, 110x9/3, 110x12
    Hanging knee raises 15/15/12-1-2

What happened on that 2nd set of RDLs? My brain just gave in on me. I had the strength to keep going, but it was REALLY hard and I had a mental block. I finished the set. We Don't Quit. But I'm still kicking myself for dropping it. And the last set of knee raises I was just... done.

BTW: My n key keeps sticking, so if some letters are missing, you know why. XD
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Kind of a short workout today. I walked to the gym feeling tired and first-day-of-periody, and figured I'd go easy.
    Squats 3x7 @ 115
    Sumo DL: 3/3/3/3 @ 145/155/170/180. I forgot about going easy. 155 felt good, so I just kinda kept adding weight. Impressed the hell out of some guys watching. Had a minor hissy fit bc the bar I was using had a slippy collar that made the whole bar twist in my hands, so I actually got a couple other half lifts at 170 in before I stripped that bar, moved the weights to a different one, and repeated the set.
    Two point plank: 3x10
  • krokador
    Shoulder W5D2. Basically same as last week, minus the extra 1-arm work.

I wasn't feeling it. DUs weren't clicking either. I did a decent 5 min on the rower as warm-up, but even that was sort of kind of half-a$$ed (the good news is, my halfassedness is improving).

My older cat is sick and basically on the brink now, and it's hitting me REALLY hard. She's my little baby :( I kept thinking "I should've stayed with her instead of coming here" even though a part of me wanted to believe that maybe she would be a bit better by lunch and would make getting the additional testing done worthwhile. 'More I think about it, the less likely that seems, though. I'm just crushed :(
  • Cadori
    krokador wrote: »

I wasn't feeling it. DUs weren't clicking either. I did a decent 5 min on the rower as warm-up, but even that was sort of kind of half-a$$ed (the good news is, my halfassedness is improving).

My older cat is sick and basically on the brink now, and it's hitting me REALLY hard. She's my little baby :( I kept thinking "I should've stayed with her instead of coming here" even though a part of me wanted to believe that maybe she would be a bit better by lunch and would make getting the additional testing done worthwhile. 'More I think about it, the less likely that seems, though. I'm just crushed :(

I'm so sorry :(
  • amyinthetardis1231

I'm so sorry about your kitty. Losing pets is so hard. <3
  • krokador
    Just a quick update on kitty: she was feeling better at lunch so I went ahead with getting tests done. She's not ready to go, but she is quite vocal at the moment. Probably is in pain. Hopefully we can figure out why and treat it.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Just a quick update on kitty: she was feeling better at lunch so I went ahead with getting tests done. She's not ready to go, but she is quite vocal at the moment. Probably is in pain. Hopefully we can figure out why and treat it.

Fingers crossed for you and your furbaby!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

really hope so. it's so hard to see things like this happening.

• krokador
    With the cat situation not being as dire, and actually getting proper sleep today, my workout went a bit better.

DB power snatch x3/arm @45/45/50lbs

Back squat 165x4, 175x3x3
    Aside from loosing tightness at the bottom on rep 2 of the first set of 3 and hitting the safeties at the bottom (but still managing to fight it back up and getting the last rep in as well), it went pretty well. All sets were hard, though. Good news is: next 2 weeks are "peaking" weeks, so volume goes down. Wee!

Front squats 120x3, 125x2x3, 130x3

Then I did the upper body stuff I didn,t get done yesterday:

Barbell bench 95x8/6/6 - I wanted 8 on all, and I was capable of it, but my shoulder didn't feel quite right. Maybe it was a bit too much to start.

Wide grip lat pulldown
    70x3x8 making sure to practice the retraction at the top, and try to avoid that crunchy poppy shoulder thing where I tend to compensate a lot. FUnny story - these kind of work the front of my shoulders a lot, too. Is that compensation?

1 arm DB incline press 20x10, 25x2x10 - again, focus was on not grooving into that crunchy part of my shoulder. I think I did pretty good on these.

1 arm cable straight arm pullover 15x10, 20x15, 17.5x13
    trying not to let the front of my shoulder take over. Again. That front delt of mine really has a super hero complex :|

I'm hoping for a nice walk this afternoon, too. But no running this week. My hips are VERY beat up right now. They need some extra recovery.

And it just dawned on me that memorial day is in 23 days. Meaning I have 3 weeks to get my bodyweight strength back up a bit. I think Murph is going to suck this year. Yuck.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    I'll pay for this later, but I went off-plan and did some bigger/heavier sets than I went in planning to do. I've been feeling very thyroid-y lately (hypothyroid) and frustrated that I don't seem to progress as fast as many others. It's hard to rein it in when I'm feeling pretty good, even though I know I'll be wiped out later/tomorrow. Only so much energy to go around :/

Bench press: supposed to be 3x8 @ 75, did 1x8 @ 75 and 3x8 @ 80. And with a regular bar, not my favorite skinny 55-lb bar.
    OHP: supposed to be 5/3/1+ @ 72/77/82, did 5/3/2/1 @ 72/77/87/92
    Assisted pullups: 5@ -70, 3 @ -65, 2 @ -60, 1 @ -55
    T-bar rows: 3x10 @ 90

I am pleased to see pullups progressing. If I wasn't already tired from BP and OHP, I might have thought about trying one with no assistance. Getting close!!
  • krokador
    Said "to hell with rest day" yesterday and went for a "run", managed to do 4 km with basically no stops, in like 35 minutes. Probably walked enough afterwards to earn a 5k (and I probably walked about that much the day before in the afternoon. Sunny warm weather is soooo nice! I wanna be out all the time!). I also did a pyramid bodyweight workout while at the park.
    1 bench row, 2 push-ups, 3 squats
    2 rows, 4 push-ups, 6 squats
    3 rows, 6 push-ups, 9 squats
    down to 1, back up to 3, down to 1, back up to 2, for 20 rows, 40 push-ups and 60 squats total. Rest as needed, probably took me 15-20 minutes total but whatever. I was just trying to get good reps :)

Wasn't sure if today was going to be shoulders or squats. Figured my legs would be pretty beat up, but I started warming up and I felt pretty good, so went with it.

3x3 low fast rebound box jump, 12' box + 45lbs bumper this time (~16')

Squats work sets: 165x6, 175x4, 185x2

Front squats 105x5, 110x5, 120x5

Then in bodyweight work fashion because Murph is coming up:
    Every 20s x 10 minutes rotation:
    1- 10 sec negative push-up
    2- 10 sec negative leg assisted pull-up (using squat bar :P)
    3- as long as possible negative pistol, 1 leg/round (left went well and averaged around 8s and was able to get back up while holding myself up on the bar/uprights. Right was a little messier and I didn't go back up on all sets)

My chest and legs are gonna be sore tomorrow!
  • Cadori
    RDL - 3x5 @ 110
    pushups - 3x8
    inverted rows - 3x8

Really sore from a 6 mile hike yesterday. As we were climbing I was thinking "ugh, it's deadlift day tomorrow" Normally my favorite, but my hamstrings and calves are toast at the moment.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    I was supposed to take it a little easy yesterday bc that was the plan. I'm bad at following plans. Hit a small squat PR and had more in the tank, but had to save enough to push the stroller home afterward so I stopped with my small PR. I haven't pushed squats in awhile so it was gratifying to get the extra few lbs, esp after already several sets of moderate-higher weight squats.

Squats: 5/3/1/1 @ 135/150/160/175
    Sumo DL 3x5 @ 125
    KB swings 3x20 @ 30 lb bell
    Seated KB ab twists 3x20 @ 20 lbs bell
  • Cadori
    Squats - 1x5 @ 50 and 4x5 @ 40
    OH Press - 1x5 @ 50, 4x5 @ 40
    Pulldown, wide grip - 2x5 @ 85
    Pulldown, narrow grip - 3x5 @ 90
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Hi all, haven’t posted in a bit but still plodding along. Feel like I’ve stalled on most of my lifts at the moment which is really frustrating. Have bought and started using fractional plates and still even then finding things tough. Still losing about .5kg a week so wondering if being in a deficit isn’t helping. Have 13.5kgs to go though so won’t be eating at maintenance for a while.

Monday
    Squats 5x5 50kg
    Bench 3x5 31kg 2x4 36kg (miscalculated my plates to start with and wondered how I’d got so much stronger all of a sudden when it was so easy!)
    Rows 5x5 36kg
    2x8 assisted dips
    2x8 assisted chin ups
    2x8 weighted lunges

Tuesday 5km jog

Wednesday
    Squats 1x5 40kg 5x5 50kg
    Ohp 5/5/5/4/5 23kg
    Deadlift 1x5 60kg 1x5 72.5kg
    3x5 incline bench press on smith machine. 20kg plates, not sure of bar weight.
    2x8 assisted dips
    2x8 assisted chin ups
    2x8 weighted lunges

Seem to be stuck on that 50kg squat. It’s a struggle and although managing the reps my legs are caving in towards the end of my sets. :neutral:
  • amyinthetardis1231
    I first embarrassed then acquitted myself today. I failed a bench press and had to roll of shame, but I got stuck in the roll and a gym regular came rushing over to lift one end of the bar off and ask if I was ok. I was fine, but it was embarrassing to have everyone staring at me - because of course this happened when there were like 8 feckless teen boys flailing about with barbells. Thankfully, one of the other regulars with whom I often chat offered to spot me to finish my set, which I did with no assistance needed. Will probably ask for a spot anytime I go 100+ now, since there's no safeties on the bench press.

Bench press: 3/3/2 then fail/2 @ 85/95/100/100
    OHP: 3x10 @ 55
    T-bar row 3x10 @ 90
    Assisted pullup 3x3 @ -65
  • krokador
    Had to take kitty to the vet and watch her go on Tuesday morning, so that ended up being a total (st)res(s)t day. I think I slept 4 hours in the entire night. I have a major sad since.

Yesterday morning slept in, but did go for a run at lunch. I think I made 4k in about 32 minutes?

Didn't get enough sleep today but still went back to the gym - I was sidetracked enough. Shoulder day. Same rehab stuff as usual : band pull aparts, stability ball push-ups, face pulls, arm wrestlers, stability rocking plank. Double under practice went really well and i actually strung 12 together (in the 3:1 rhythm I seem to really favor) without tripping. Did some recline rows, squats and push-ups. Added pendlay rows and Z presses at the end of the workout, 4x6.

I'm hoping things fall into place in a way that allows me to squat tomorrow.