A new weight loss procedure- freezing vagus nerve grrrr

Options
singingflutelady
singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
So there is a bariatric dr in the states that is doing a clinical study on and promotes freezing of the vagus nerve so that obese patients will never feel hungry and therefore eat less. This makes me angry. It's crazy that a dr would cause a patient to have gastroparesis on purpose. That's playing with fire.

Replies

• HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Omg! @singingflutelady this reminds me of the time when brides were getting feeding tubes to lose weight for their weddings. Idiots! People sometimes don’t see the harm they cause others by doing things that a chronically ill person has to live with everyday. Surgery to me is the last resort after you have tried everything you can do be it with diet, alternative medicine or medication. Shaking my head
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    Omg! @singingflutelady this reminds me of the time when brides were getting feeding tubes to lose weight for their weddings. Idiots! People sometimes don’t see the harm they cause others by doing things that a chronically ill person has to live with everyday. Surgery to me is the last resort after you have tried everything you can do be it with diet, alternative medicine or medication. Shaking my head

He says the damage is only temporary but he has only been doing this study for 8 months. I wonder if he will deal with the aftermath of possibly permanently damaging the vagus nerve. He was on the today show in april promoting this and of course a lot of people in the gastroparesis community (mostly patients) commented on his FB page and he deleted and blocked every person who even mentioned Gastroparesis.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately @singingflutelady it probably will it some other forum. People want a quick fix, goodness knows I have probably wanted the same in my lifetime. However, it won’t be good consequences. People want to get things done in the shortest amount of time. Again, I have wanted to feel better and have probably did the same. But knowing what I know now.
    Man, the biggest catch -22.