5/9 Wednesday Day 9 SLBC: Out of Reach

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
qboj6osjkkgl.jpg

Theme: Out of Reach

Today's Challenge: Where do you keep your phone? Chances are it's kept very close to you – in your pocket, in your purse, or somewhere else within easy grasp. It's handy having our phones and tablets with us all the time, but it also adds to sitting more and moving less. We simply reach for our phones. No movement required.

Today, let's try a little experiment. Let's put our phones and tablets out of easy reach. (Just for today!) Try to find a spot for it that's at least 10 feet away. Or maybe even in the next room? Simply putting your phone on the bookcase, table, or file cabinet where you have to stand up to get it is much better than remaining seated.

When it comes to sitting, both the total amount of sitting we do and the length of time we remain seated without standing up or moving around matter greatly. Having our phones less accessible to us is a sure-fire way to ensure we are getting up out of the chair frequently. And a bonus: we will be less distracted by its constant interruptions.

Alternative Challenge: Most of us send a lot of emails throughout the day. After you've written your email, stand up and proofread it before you hit the send button!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    fya3j1vq7b5q.jpg
  • LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot ... mostly because I lay it down and walk away!!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good one my phone is always on me when I’m awake I will work on this one
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This will definitely add steps, my daughter texts a lot during the day.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    LogR4Life wrote: »
    I do this a lot ... mostly because I lay it down and walk away!!

:D sounds like me
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. I have now put my phone on kitchen table where I should be able to hear it if necessary. I usually have it with me at all times. BTW...I added a notification to my Fitbit to remind me to walk at least 250 steps per hour. If I have not accumulated at 250 steps at 10 minutes of that hour it will notify to get up and get moving.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,857 Member
    Options
    Not too hard for me because I don't have a smartphone, so my phone lives in my purse. But it seems a great idea for those who do use their phone for everything.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm glad this challenge is resonating with so many of you! It's a simple change, but small changes can have a big impact. According to TechCrunch, Americans spend 5 hours a day on average on their mobile devices (and that doesn't include computers and televisions). That's a lot of time on our phones and tablets. I get a lot of use and enjoyment out of my phone, but putting some distance between us today has made me stand up more often and I'm enjoying having fewer distractions and interruptions.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Challenge!

While my guests were here, I made it a point to keep my phone in my purse and not take it out at all while we were out. It fell good not to have something in my hand all the time.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Alternative Challenge: Most of us send a lot of emails throughout the day. After you've written your email, stand up and proofread it before you hit the send button!

Ooooh...I really like this one!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have my phone on silent most of the time at work so it doesn't distract me or anyone else. And on weekends, I try to turn it on silent and ignore it for the whole day on Sunday. Sunday is my unplugged day because I miss living in the moment and I really miss the good ol' days when I could go somewhere and my kids couldn't call me until I got back home! LOL! I know...sounds mean but I just need "me" time...
  • themedalist
    Options

Ooooh...I really like this one!

@OConnell5483, it’s one of my favorites. I’m more alert when I stand up so that’s got to help with proofreading.