Alcohol question.

Options
fdhunt1
fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
Is it possible to lose weight on Keto if a person has 2 drinks (vodka on the rocks) per night with dinner?

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight but you probably won't ever be in true ketosis.
    Your body burns fuel in the following order:

Alcohol
    Sugar
    Fat
    Protein/Muscle

When you put alcohol or sugar into your system, your body has to switch out of fat burning mode in order to process it. It can take several days of depriving your body of alcohol/sugar to get back into fat burning mode (ketosis).

Daily drinks will hinder your ability to stay in ketosis, but you could still lose weight with a calorie deficit. (You might find that daily alcohol does slow down that process too though)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think what @River_Goddess said fits with my own experience. I think I'm safe with one glass of wine/vodka a week, and beyond that, I've maintained or gained even when calorie-wise, you would have assumed I should have lost. But that's OK because keto has made me a "cheap date" and anything I drink goes a lot further!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Vodka doesn't have a lot of carbs - it shouldn't kick you out of ketosis for more than the couple hours it will take to process the alcohol.

This assumes that you stick to just the vodka and don't eat a bunch of junk while intoxicated.

It will totally impact water retention. You might even find you don't need as much salt as a normal keto person because the alcohol will cause you to shed water (alcohol disrupts kidney function), which will likely trigger your body to retain water the following day, so you might not see the standard water weight quick drop since your body may actual retain water better due to the alcohol. Or you might need more salt. I usually need more salt when I drink, but I'm not drinking every night, so there's no daily adaptation happening.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Vodka doesn't have a lot of carbs - it shouldn't kick you out of ketosis for more than the couple hours it will take to process the alcohol.

This assumes that you stick to just the vodka and don't eat a bunch of junk while intoxicated.

It will totally impact water retention. You might even find you don't need as much salt as a normal keto person because the alcohol will cause you to shed water (alcohol disrupts kidney function), which will likely trigger your body to retain water the following day, so you might not see the standard water weight quick drop since your body may actual retain water better due to the alcohol. Or you might need more salt. I usually need more salt when I drink, but I'm not drinking every night, so there's no daily adaptation happening.

Interesting! Did not realize the impact on water retention...maybe that's why I did not seem to lose when I had more than a drink or so in a week. My overall trend has been down and I prefer to eat rather than drink my carbs, but good to know for times when a drink is needed!
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka and whiskey (not together) quite frequently and the weight has been coming off. Way better for weight loss than beer or wine.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    I drink vodka and whiskey (not together)

what a disappointment!! :D
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I often have some wine on the weekends, I will try to have less but will no doubt still have some.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    I drink vodka and whiskey (not together)

what a disappointment!! :D

Lol that’s prob 1/8 of what’s in a Long Island ice tea.
  • gramercyblue
    gramercyblue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since starting keto (about a month), I've sworn off beer, but it hasn't much of an issue since my go-to at bars is bourbon. I've continued to shed the weight. Frequent keto strip tests around the weekend binge also showed that I maintained ketosis. I will however say the hangover is nasty and I'll get it the night of rather than the day after.
  • tshap40
    tshap40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I drink scotch and water and it didn't seem to hamper my weight loss, at least for the week I've been on it.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I drink Bourbon, doing the research it is basically empty calories. No carbs, protein, or fats. Average 1 oz pour is around 100 calories