5/11 Friday Day 11 SLBC: Walk This Way

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member

3v0bc7v0b4ot.jpg

Theme: Walk This Way!

Today's Challenge: Ah, walking. Even though we’ve woven walking into several of our daily challenges, walking is such a beneficial activity that it deserves its own spotlight today. Walking is free, requires no special equipment, can be done almost anywhere, and the health benefits are profound. Today’s challenge is to take a 15 minute walk today. Outdoors, if possible, but indoors works as well. If you don’t walk regularly, how could you make a short walk part of your daily routine?

Consider this: going for a 15 minute walk today is 1% of your day. But if you go for a 15 minute walk every day, you'll be adding 91 hours of walking to your life each year. That's plenty of time for walking to work its magic on you!

Enjoy your walk and please tell us about it!

Alternative Challenge: If walking doesn’t work for you, pick an activity that you enjoy and do that.

Replies

• themedalist
    Options

Walking is so simple, but so powerful!

3z1rngdn4h6y.jpg

• themedalist
    Options
    One of my favorite images. Our brains thrive on movement!

q6ibrix0u287.jpg
  • themedalist
    Options

ldr31zin9jua.jpg

• themedalist
    Options
    Walking truly has changed my life. My favorite walk is with my dogs through the woods in my backyard. There’s a path through the woods that meanders along a stream so there’s lots of wildlife sightings: mostly ducks, deer, and hawks. It’s a very peaceful place and I love it.

I also have a walking buddy at work and that’s been a game changer. She stops by my office every day at 12:15 and we use part of our lunch breaks to walk. The accountability is great and I always look forward to our walks and talks. I can’t say enough about having a walking buddy. If you can, find a neighbor or colleague who’s interested in walking on a regular basis. It’s a wonderfully beneficial habit to cultivate.

Please tell us about your favorite walk or what walk you took today. Or post how the challenges are going for you in general. Are you sitting less and is it becoming a habit? I hope so!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,930 Member
    Options
    I have several favorite walks. There is a green space not far from one of my schools, but I often don't have enough time to enjoy that walk. However, my schools are both in the foothills, so merely walking the ramps of my hilly campuses allow me little nature walks and interactions with some wild life. One ramp I've christened the bunny trail because it is a favorite home for cottontails. I also see lots of quail (the California state bird) and many lizards.

I'm currently struggling with my neighborhood walk because my neighborhood is being "renovated" which means the older homes with mature yards and trees are being torn down and replaced with apartment/condo complexes. It makes me sad, and my shady walks are now in full sun. I'm sure once the building boom is completed, I'll have a pleasant walk albeit with a more urban feel.

Today, my husband and I will walk around the desert town where we are staying on our trip before we hit the road.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually get in about 10 mins at a time, but I get about 3-4 rounds a day :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I have several favorite walks. There is a green space not far from one of my schools, but I often don't have enough time to enjoy that walk. However, my schools are both in the foothills, so merely walking the ramps of my hilly campuses allow me little nature walks and interactions with some wild life. One ramp I've christened the bunny trail because it is a favorite home for cottontails. I also see lots of quail (the California state bird) and many lizards.

I'm currently struggling with my neighborhood walk because my neighborhood is being "renovated" which means the older homes with mature yards and trees are being torn down and replaced with apartment/condo complexes. It makes me sad, and my shady walks are now in full sun. I'm sure once the building boom is completed, I'll have a pleasant walk albeit with a more urban feel.

Today, my husband and I will walk around the desert town where we are staying on our trip before we hit the road.

It sounds like a great walk you have near and on campus, @77tes. Sorry to hear your neighborhood walks have lost some of their charm (and trees!)
  • themedalist
    Options
    I just got a new camera, so it'll be great to go for a walk and try it out! Motivation to move can come from all sorts of places - like a photography hobby.

Having a new camera is a great motivator to walk, @alexandraevans322. Hope you find lots of interesting things to photograph on your walk today!
  • themedalist
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    I usually get in about 10 mins at a time, but I get about 3-4 rounds a day :)

That's usually how I walk too, @MmamabearR. In 10-15 minute increments. It all adds up!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    My favorite walk is down the middle of a fairway. I golfed and walked 7.44 miles this morning. The golf course is "my happy place". I golf alone all week and then golf with my husband on the weekends. I put on my Ipod and sing and swing. LOL

My youngest son and grandpup are coming home for Mother's Day tonight from GA. He will golf a few times with me. His dog, Einstein is a wonderful german shepherd. I am excited just thinking about waking up early and doing a sunrise walk with him.

After my heart attack the doctor told me that I had to walk a mile a day and lose weight. I could barely walk a quarter mile let alone a mile. Walking has given me my health back.

@PinkyPan1, this is a great story about the power of walking. It really can turn our lives around. I’m glad you enjoy golf (exercise and a hobby!) and a visit from your son and his German Shepherd sounds like the perfect Mother’s Day to me!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I just got a new camera, so it'll be great to go for a walk and try it out! Motivation to move can come from all sorts of places - like a photography hobby.

I do that too, I use my phone's camera but I always look for new things to photograph during my walks. Lots of motivation. This summer I plan to take more walks in different places so I cannot wait.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Walking is my go to when it comes to exercise. I walks between 2 and 4 miles depending on the day. The most I have walked is 14 miles. I have tried every exercise out there but always come back to it.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Walking is my go to when it comes to exercise. I walks between 2 and 4 miles depending on the day. The most I have walked is 14 miles. I have tried every exercise out there but always come back to it.

Walking will change your life if you give it a chance. Wow, 14 miles, @prgirl39mfp. That is amazing!