May 2018 Basics Challenge: Week 3 (5/15-5/21)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
Repeat of the challenge:
baconslave wrote: »
Welcome to the May Basics Challenge!

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.
If you're wanting to look better in your swimsuit this summer, this is how to get there.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Tues 5/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Love this time of year for diet and exercise! The sun is shining and I love to get out for my walks!
    Down 11 pounds since March 1st. Hoot. I'm consistently doing near 10K steps or above. This past Saturday was 14K, Sunday 12K.
    We have a new addition to our home. A cutie kitten. All he wants is rotisserie chicken from Market basket. He likes thigh meat picked off the bones. So for 5 bucks we all split one 4 ways for dinner. Seems to be working and no one is complaining. LOL.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Falling short on my steps goal, still not consistently reaching 8000/day. But I was active Saturday through yesterday with elliptical, walking and spin class. Tuesdays are typically a lower step count so trying to be mindful of that and finding reasons to leave my desk and take an extra lap around the office.

Revised my macros to increase my protein and decrease my fat. Will see how that pans out by end of the month.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My gym is closed for remodeling! They are closed today through the 24th. I had no idea and I'm bummed. I don't like the other location as well, but I'm going to give it a try on Thursday. Tomorrow is kindergarten graduation for my little one...homeschool style...at the trampoline place. :lol:
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Today I got in 13,800 steps with a cardio p90x3 thrown in this morning. Twelve flights of stairs at work and stress wasn’t as high today. I still snacked a bit after dinner so that is a focus for me for the next few weeks. Some days I don’t feel the need and other days I want to mindlessly eat. I’ll keep trying to up protein and see if that helps- today was a bit under goal.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Golly gee busy!!!
    Cals, NEAT, and exercise are on-point! :+1:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 years old and have very sneakily and steadily gained 30 pounds over the last 4-5 years. With no solution sticking, I have a real fear of eventually doubling my weight (again). I joined this group a few weeks ago to see if it will be my salvation. I've been studying the concepts, following your conversations and deciding what to do. Now... ready, set go! :bigsmile:
    • Changed MFP Goals: increased fat % & decreased carb %
    • Adding avocado, nuts & olive oil
    • Decreasing whole grains, rice cakes & crackers (already eat high protein and curtail breads & such)
    • Losing weight!
    Thank you!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Rice cakes as a diet food is a joke. Avocados are worth their weight in gold. Good luck with making intelligent food choices or good skill.

I'm walking every day and trying to lift heavy as I can with dumbbells.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My less active days in April were around 2000 steps, in May they've been over 4000 so at least I'm making progress. My more active days are averaging just below 8000. Since I have not been able to reach my 7 days x 8000 steps I will not be getting a new fitbit. I will however get a new clip for my Zip, reward enough for sticking with spin class.

Fathead pizza for dinner last night came out the best I've ever made it.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Rice cakes as a diet food is a joke. Avocados are worth their weight in gold. Good luck with making intelligent food choices or good skill.

What if you use the rice cake like toast and put the avocado on it! Avocado, mashed, with garlic, lime juice, pepper and cilantro. And an egg.... NOM!
    I put that combo on a 55cal slice of toast this morning (yeah too many carbs but it fit within my limit) and it was sooooo heavenly. :innocent:
  • baconslave
    Options
    Hey! I've posted over 5000 times here.
    That just means I spend waaaaayyyyyy too much time on MFP.

Everything was hunky-dory (whatever that really means. I'm so looking that up.)
    Cals, carbs, electrolytes, killer interval training cardio yesterday. :+1:
    I iz a gud gurl! :lol:
  • AdoreAdaora79
    AdoreAdaora79 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm going to be fasting during the day because of Ramadan so I really have to be on top of my water and electrolyte intake. I lost 35 lbs doing lazy keto but I've been stalling and after a carby alochol-filled weekend, a friend and I decided to be way more accountable. I'm in that adaptation phase so I need to beef up my calories slowly instead of just going off of hunger signals
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

What if you use the rice cake like toast and put the avocado on it! Avocado, mashed, with garlic, lime juice, pepper and cilantro. And an egg.... NOM!
    I put that combo on a 55cal slice of toast this morning (yeah too many carbs but it fit within my limit) and it was sooooo heavenly. :innocent:
    I suppose this is acceptable. I'll let you go with a warning this time. :devil:
  • baconslave
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hunky-dory. Apparently, they don't exactly know where it came from but it did originate in the late 1800s in America.
    Yes...I'm a nerd.
    Yesterday:
    1 hr of strength
    Over 6000 steps on a non-cardio day.
    Cals and carbs and all that hit goal.
    :+1:
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    @baconslave Please note "intelligence" below :bigsmile:
    n32ma69c9pk7.jpeg
    and btw, you weren't the only one looking it up :ohwell:
  • baconslave
    Options
    19th- Did a "600 Cal Burn" cardio workout that was 380...liars. It was intense but I was looking to get wrecked. Didn't happen.
    20th-SLOTH! Well, I got over 7000 steps of NEAT... "Sedentary" is under 5k, or so "they" say.
    21st- Badminton for an hour with the kiddos. Fun!

Next week's thread will be up tomorrow.
  • baconslave
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    @baconslave Please note "intelligence" below :bigsmile:
    n32ma69c9pk7.jpeg
    and btw, you weren't the only one looking it up :ohwell:

Oh...ok. So I'm not a nerd. Just occasionally a geek. :lol:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Gym is still closed...the other location just does not work as well for my commute. It's out of the way and farther from work. Deload week?
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Gym is still closed...the other location just does not work as well for my commute. It's out of the way and farther from work. Deload week?

I guess. Man, I would be pissed! :rage:
  • PaulaKro
    edited May 2018
    Options
    First success today: Exceeded fat minimum and stayed under carb maximum. :bigsmile:

I think people generally think of their fat intake as a "not to exceed" and simply upending that way of thinking might go a long ways towards reducing obesity in this world.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I’m walking several miles every day. I can visualize my belly shrinking every day. My nutrition has never been better.