Gaining weight in deficit?

Options
vnukinga
vnukinga Posts: 130 Member
Very confused right now. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this mystery. I noticed that despite restricting my calorie intake and exercising intensively I gained weight instead of losing it! I know that some of it is water gain, and probably some is muscle gain. I also noticed however that when I ate more (over my calorie limit) I lost weight! So what takes? I am getting a little discouraged here...
:(
Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water weight from exercise to repair muscles, especially if you started going more intensely. While some muscle gain is possible in a deficit, it would not be enough to overshadow weight loss.

Keep at it, if you still aren't losing in a few weeks then you aren't in a deficit. Make sure you are tracking your calories, weighing all your food if necessary.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what @sardelsa said.

For me, I'm finding I really do have to weigh all my food. I've been doing meal prep for nearly two weeks now (rather than random meals each day), and the scale is finally moving. It was mostly small inaccuracies, but they were adding up. Also, the first week, I didn't lose a thing on the scale, then this weekend whooshed down 2 pounds and have been there since. Go figure.

Water weight if your workout is new or leaving you sore can overshadow weight loss by a LOT. For me, it even affects how my clothes fit, making me feel fatter, too.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what @sardelsa said.

For me, I'm finding I really do have to weigh all my food. I've been doing meal prep for nearly two weeks now (rather than random meals each day), and the scale is finally moving. It was mostly small inaccuracies, but they were adding up. Also, the first week, I didn't lose a thing on the scale, then this weekend whooshed down 2 pounds and have been there since. Go figure.

Water weight if your workout is new or leaving you sore can overshadow weight loss by a LOT. For me, it even affects how my clothes fit, making me feel fatter, too.

That is so true. I remember a few years ago I started a new lifting program, scale jumped 2-3lbs (in water) and basically stayed that way for a few weeks when it became my new starting weight and the scale moved down again.
  • vnukinga
    vnukinga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
    I appreciate your input.