Plateau: You would think I was in love with since I've been on it for so long...

Yikes! I've 5 ft 8 inches and glide between 149 and 152, lately. I can't seem to get consistently below 149 (though at one time in my life I was 130, with 4 miles a day of walking, 1,000 calories per day, and one hour of weight training a day.)

I'd like to get back to that 130, but even with keeping my calories down to 1500, 5 miles of walking per day, and at least 3 weight training sessions a week, it isn't happening.

I've read that reducing my calories further will reduce my metabolic burn as well.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Replies

• brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    How long have you been on 1500 a day? You may need a bit of patience or maybe make sure that you are counting properly.
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    FormerlyWallyAmadeus Posts: 35 Member
    About 3 months.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    How about bloating, do you feel like you retain a lot of liquids?

Mostly plateaus test your patience (it's a mind struggle) and the best is to stick it out as it will probably come off quite suddenly when you least expect it to.

Some people suggest doing a reefed, but I'm no expert in this field. Here's a useful thread if you want to read up on it: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    do you monitor your carbs? for me - doing keto/low carb has really done the trick. i'm 133 after being 150 for a very long time. my tummy has gone down *but so has my butt disappeared LOL!* but i'll never have the abs i had when i was 20. i'm 56 so i guess i have to give myself a break sometime.... :D
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    Lisas: Yes, I think that is something I need to start doing. I'm a vegetarian, but I'l have to investigate this. Can I ask if you have a certain carb number you try not to exceed each day?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    What deficit are you maintaining right now? and what setting do you have on myfitnesspal to lose weight?

I am 5'8" and started at 157 and now I am at 129 at the moment, I chose to do the .5lb/week rate but with that low rate I had to be extremely tight with my logging. When I started I was eating about 1800-1900 calories (that # includes me eating about 1/2-2/3 of my exercise calories back). Also to note, I didn't do KETO, but just focused on eating enough protein.

Also standard questions:
    Are you using a food scale?
    Do you measure nearly everything on it?
    Are you eating back your exercise calories
    Are you overestimating exercise calories?
    Opening up your diary can help us pintpoint anything that might be triggering the plateau
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    With as much as you are moving and working out, I'd tighten up your logging and make sure you are weighing EVERYTHING. I found when I got a scale and started using it (rather than measuring and/or eye-balling a "portion") that my numbers were way off.

If you've been stuck there for 3 months, and are fairly confident in your numbers, then perhaps switching up your workouts would help kick things into gear? Could be your body has adapted, and your burn isn't as much as you think it is.

Honestly though, I'd hazard a guess that you're actually eating a lot more than you think you are. Do you track EVERYTHING? Eating out once a week can completely undo a moderate deficit :(
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    Coming back...yes, I think what worked before (eyeballing largely) is no longer working now that I'm post menopausal. I've started weighing my food (before just either eyeballing or uses spoons/cups...and there is a slight decrease in weight.

I miss my 25 year old metabolism that could be fueled on pizza, flavored yogurt, and tuna salad sandwiches, late nights, and gallons of coffee..and still maintaining me at 130ish!
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Did you say you were once on 1000 cals with 4 miles walking every day and 1 hour weight training? If so that's a lot and no wonder you were 130!

Are you sure you didn't mean 2000 cals a day?

I think you are on the right track with weighing rather than eyeballing until you are confident with everything you are eating :)
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    Yes, I know it sounds like torture but that is what I was doing (of course, I wasn't doing much of anything else other than going to classes...!)
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Lisas: Yes, I think that is something I need to start doing. I'm a vegetarian, but I'l have to investigate this. Can I ask if you have a certain carb number you try not to exceed each day?

On a typical Keto diet, aim for 30 to 50g of carb per day. If you prefer using %, 20% carb, 30% protein and 50% healthy fats.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Keto kicked me off my plateau as well. Down 12 lbs in 3 months and below my goal, finally!