I kind of miss oatmeal. Any hacks?

Today I tried heating a half cup of ricotta cheese (full fat) with some butter and almonds. It did have a porridge like consistency, but is so high in fat that even as someone on keto, I’m not sure I’d eat it regularly. I used to have oatmeal every morning and now 3 months into keto, kind of miss having a hot bowl of something to look forward to, though I have a few keto pancakes and omelette recipes I enjoy regularly. Any other recipes out there for an oatmeal like breakfast, preferably under 300 calories?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm guessing you've probably looked up Noatmeal at 500+ calories per serving? Eek! Are you eating keto for a medical reason? Must you remain grain free?

I always say I am blessed to have found keto/LCHF as a hunger solution and it has been my chosen WOE for a couple of years now. Today I feel blessed to know and remember that I successfully lost all my extra 60 pounds via averaging 128 carbs per day and a calorie deficit. That fact actually helps me not yearn for foods, etc.

A few months ago I was "missing" the steel cut oats I ate many mornings during weight loss. I decided to make a half o' batch complete with cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and stevia. I had a serving each of 2 mornings. They were quite good, just as I remembered. I didn't get sick. I didn't get cravings. I didn't gain water water weight. I had no remorse.

And...I haven't had them since. I've not even thought about them until your post. I'm back to Greek yogurt or eggs if I have breakfast. Over the years I've observed many people have their "exceptions" to their standard WOE-foods they "make fit" or don't worry about. Perhaps you should have a little bowl of warm oatmeal? Chances are you'll then get it out of your mind and move on? For some things, there are no real substitutes...IMO but hopefully someone has a good "hack" for you. :) I tried a keto crockpot granola recipe once. Ate the whole damned thing in one evening. :( The primary ingredients were coconut and walnuts. It was like candy. :/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    How about a cereal like Holy Crap? It isn't really keto but depending on your day, you might be able to make it work.
    https://holycrap.com/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Here's another version for you:

http://www.djfoodie.com/Chia-Fauxtmeal

I made it once. My mother and I both tried it. Mom loved it. I didn't. (shrug) And pre-Keto I REALLY LOVED OATMEAL!!!! Have not found a decent fake for it yet.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    See, I’d have to eat a shot glass full of that recipe or anything with chia and nuts to fit my desired calorie limit of the day, unless I wanted to skip lunch. I think I’ll just stick to keto panacakes and eggs. Just wish there were some higher volume “bowl of carbs” option out there, but the oatmeal craving isn’t usually that bad for me. It’s been raining nonstop for days over here and I think yesterday I just really wanted some comfort food!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Lol. I've had Holy Crap cereal, and it WAS a wee little bowl. LOL nothing like my massive bowls of yesteryear of CornPops with skim milk. :D
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    I've been missing oatmeal too lately. I'm going to try this sometime soon and it's about 330 calories and has 20ish each of fat and protein with 2 net carbs. If i do try it out, I'll give an update.
    3 tbs grd flax seed
    3 tbs chia seeds
    1/2 almond milk
    1 tbs unsweetened coconut
    stevia
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You should be able to fit in small quantities of oatmeal (maybe 1/4 cup) and still remain keto, though you did not specify what your carb limit is...maybe making it with some extra water would stretch it a bit, plus there's always adding nuts and such to fill it out.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    You should be able to fit in small quantities of oatmeal (maybe 1/4 cup) and still remain keto, though you did not specify what your carb limit is...maybe making it with some extra water would stretch it a bit, plus there's always adding nuts and such to fill it out.

Trying to stay under 20 net carbs a day. I feel like every other carb I enjoyed can be made with either cheese, cauliflower or nut flour...bummer there's not really a trick like this for oatmeal.

I've tried the chia/flax combo but for me it was just too few bites for that many calories. If something is 300+ calories, I want it to take me a long time to consume it, if that makes any sense! I'm not a juicer/protein shake kind of person for that same reason....
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    I read that riced cauliflower can be used to stretch oatmeal, or just made with cinnamon, vanilla, butter, Sukrin gold.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    I bought a package of something called “Keto Hot Breakfast” on Amazon that I have when I really want oatmeal. The texture seems closer to something like cream of wheat than actual oatmeal, but it has a pretty good flavor as long as you don’t mind a hint of coconut. I tend to make it with butter instead of some or all of the coconut oil the package says to use because the texture with only coconut oil is too greasy for me, and it’s not exactly cheap at about a dollar a packet, but it is a quick, easy substitute for oatmeal for me.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    When I want something cereal like, this is my go to:

http://www.holdthecarbs.com/low-carb-hot-cereal?search=cereal

I usually add oatmeal flavoring (https://www.oooflavors.com/products/oatmeal-flavor?variant=17031076101) - I forget how many drops I use because it's been a while since I last had some.

Combine with your preferred LC "milk" substitute of choice and your preferred liquid sweetener of choice and viola, you will get an oatmeal flavored cereal (both hot or cold) that is SO DARN THICK, your spoon will literally stand up straight in the stuff.

fwiw, the texture isn't like oatmeal, but it does the trick for me.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    There are several squash-based porridge recipes out there, none that I crave or particularly love, but they might do the trick for you depending on your carb limits. Most were designed to be grain-free, not necessarily keto.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Hmmm....You already nixed the chia seed recommendation, but I do think this is your best bet - chia seeds and flax with coconut milk/cream. It seems like you might be able to combine in some psyllium husk fiber also to give it more of a hot breakfast porridge feel and not add any calories. Could be worth a go to try.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    edited May 2018
    I eat meat 4 Bfast and have a kind-of meatloaf staple that changes a lot - it can use steel cut oats (or brown rice, etc.)

Basically meaty oats - or oaty meats; goes something like this:
    • 2 lb ground poultry or your meat of choice
    • 6 eggs
    • 1 cup dry steel cut oatmeal and enuf liquid to cook it (broth, almond milk, soup, water...) [less for lower Carb limits]
    • 1 pint bone broth
    • 1/2 C olive oil
    • optional sautéed onions, celery, garlic, peppers
    • optional olives, cheese, mushrooms, peanuts, or...
    • salt & pepper - whatever spices you like: cumin? rosemary? cayenne? sage?
    Smoosh together and cook at 350 for a couple hours; makes a lot
  • Running_and_Coffee
    I found an interesting solution kind of by accident today. i made a Keto French Toast Mug (on Pinterest) but with less butter because I wanted to reduce the calories, and it came out too dry. i put the mug cake in a bowl, added 1/4 cup light coconut milk and heated it again. Did not look pretty but the end result was a big bowl of what felt like hot cereal.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    I eat meat 4 Bfast and have a kind-of meatloaf staple that changes a lot - it can use steel cut oats (or brown rice, etc.)

Basically meaty oats - or oaty meats; goes something like this:
    • 2 lb ground poultry or your meat of choice
    • 6 eggs
    • 1 cup dry steel cut oatmeal and enuf liquid to cook it (broth, almond milk, soup, water...) [less for lower Carb limits]
    • 1 pint bone broth
    • 1/2 C olive oil
    • optional sautéed onions, celery, garlic, peppers
    • optional olives, cheese, mushrooms, peanuts, or...
    • salt & pepper - whatever spices you like: cumin? rosemary? cayenne? sage?
    Smoosh together and cook at 350 for a couple hours; makes a lot
    PaulaKro wrote: »

Sounds yummy! But I don’t eat oats anymore.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    Sounds yummy! But I don’t eat oats anymore.
    Oops, sorry. I missed that! Thought you were looking for a way to fit in a few oats, not replace them.
    Now I know what "hack" means! :laugh:
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Has anyone posted about this? It's a hot (or cold) keto cereal from Adapt Your Life, a Keto program by Dr. Eric Westman. $20 but 13 servings - each serving has 142 calories, 3g net carbs, 10g fat, 10g protein. I am thinking of ordering for those times when I want a hot cereal too.

https://www.adaptyourlife.com/product/keto-cereal-original/#
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 220 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know you're not keen on the fautmeal but I really like this one. I find it a pretty decent portion.

1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
    1 Tbsp Chia seeds
    1 Tbsp ground flax
    1 Tbsp hemp hearts
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp sweetener (or to taste)
    cinnamon (optional)

I mix it together the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight. Heat in microwave the next morning. Yum! I'm going to make some now for tomorrow. :smile:
  • Running_and_Coffee
    I know you're not keen on the fautmeal but I really like this one. I find it a pretty decent portion.

1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
    1 Tbsp Chia seeds
    1 Tbsp ground flax
    1 Tbsp hemp hearts
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp sweetener (or to taste)
    cinnamon (optional)

I mix it together the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight. Heat in microwave the next morning. Yum! I'm going to make some now for tomorrow. :smile:

I'll give it a shot. Does that actually fill a bowl? Every other recipe I've tried basically makes a shot glass of food. I have all of those ingredients, though, so I can try it out.