Keto for 6 weeks, just now having awful cramps?

Options
LynzesLosingIt
LynzesLosingIt Posts: 107 Member
Like the title says, I’ve been ketoing for 6 weeks now. I didn’t experience the ‘keto flu’ and I think it’s because I had already begun limiting my carbs in the months prior. Now in the past week I’ve started experiencing some intense cramps on and off, and diarrhea for the past 2-3 days. I’m not dehydrated but I could still definitely improve my water intake. But I’m not sure why this is happening now all of a sudden?

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need electrolytes! Drink some pickle juice or broth - you should start feeling better almost right away. If possible, take some magnesium before bed.

It's super important to supplement sodium while keto... you can give it a Google or forum search. The symptoms you've described sound to me like a bit of keto flu and can be avoided/remedied with proper electrolyte intake :)

Feel better soon!
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have been faithful to keto, and then ate several carbs over your normal goal, that can cause serious cramps for me. It normally takes a couple days of overeating carbs, but when it happens it is the most excruciating cramps. I will also get lose stools when i am moving back into ketosis after said extra carbs.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess an electrolyte imbalance - most especially potassium. Bone broth for the win on this one. It could be a magnesium loss issue too, but homemade bone broth should help with any missing minerals - assuming you are getting enough sodium.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Ketosis causes you to naturally excrete excess sodium. So whether it's the beginning or middle, if you don't work to keep salt up, then you'll have an electrolyte balance eventually. Low sodium leechs the others. Best to keep sodium 3000-5000mg and then the others will refill through food and supplementation and stay level.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Cramps are part of "Keto Flu" Symptoms. You can avoid all symptoms of Keto Flu by paying close attention to your electrolytes especially sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. My guess is that you are not getting enough salt.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think each time your advance to a new "stage" or depth of fat adaption or "ketosis," you run the risk of it affecting your current electrolyte and/or nutritional balances. Something that might not have been affected one day can seem dire the next. Being aware and prepared helps... I just think this "shifting" metabolism is something that is hidden behind the inflammation/hangries/discomfort/et al that comes along with being a "sugar burner." We don't realize that many of our complaints are actually things we could control by changing our dietary intake.

Additionally, I have found that I uncovered a number of health conditions hiding behind, "your obesity is the cause of all your problems."
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • twineclipse
    twineclipse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take 5 grams of potassium ascorbate in the morning, then 5 grams again, with 3g magnesium citrate in the evening. :) I used to have terrible cramps in the night and I would use the restroom a lot...but now I don’t have to #1 as often and cramps are gone!
  • twineclipse
    Options
    Cramps on legs...likely potassium.
    Cramps on your arms(hands close by themselves)..likely calcium.
    Cramps on your abs..likely magnesium
    This is from personal experience, not sure if this is accurate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t supplement potassium without a confirmed deficiency. That is very dangerous.
    My daughter that is chronically deficient only takes 99mg as a prescription potassium because it’s dangerous to get too much.
    You won’t lose potassium is you keep sodium up and low sodium is the primary cause anyway.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function/
  • twineclipse
    Options
    Oh damn...I gotta be careful with advice. I consume 7g potassium ions a day and 3g sodium. I get cramps when I go under 5g potassium. Every person is different. But you won’t go wrong with avocados!