Options
cretanista
cretanista Posts: 3 Member
First day on keto, any advice?

Replies

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it every day. There is a huge learning curve. The advantages are worth it.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Get friends on MFP
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Read through the stickies at the top of our main LCHF group page. Lots of links to great videos, books, and general info so you wont get 'lost.'
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • trustarcavaliers
    trustarcavaliers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ham & cheese rolled up together make an easy snack. Boiled eggs are quick and easy to keep on hand. Avocados are great for keeping the "hungries" away.
  • MaggieFinn
    MaggieFinn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks before you give up- listen to your body- drink water- electrolytes- plan ahead when you're out and about (almonds are fantastic)- get a great cookbook with recipes you'll actually make- ask questions
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sodium. Probably more than you think is healthy. There are some great links here about it. Just let me know if you need them dug up. :)

Definitely! Most need at least 3000 - 5000 mg of sodium a day. There's 2300 mg of sodium is a teaspoon of salt (for reference).

Welcome. :)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    MaggieFinn wrote: »
    Give it a couple of weeks before you give up- listen to your body- drink water- electrolytes- plan ahead when you're out and about (almonds are fantastic)- get a great cookbook with recipes you'll actually make- ask questions

I might even say to give it a couple of MONTHS before you give up... it can take a while for your body to adjust to a new way of eating! I remember feeling really stressed at the beginning, because not only was my body adjusting to a different variety of foods, but my brain needed to think about meal planning in a completely different way. At first, I kept saying to myself, "I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING!!!" and figuring out recipes for the week was a big challenge. Now that I'm 6 months in, I've built up a nice repertoire of fairly quick, super tasty meals that I actually REALLY look forward to preparing and eating.

And second the advice on sodium. If my sodium (and other electrolytes) are low, I will get light headed and actually kind of cranky. It's a constant struggle to get enough sodium on board!
  • Wachkel
    Wachkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters . . . give yourself time to adjust. Keep coming to MFP to get suggestions and advice from those with experience -- I do. Pinterest and YouTube also have good tutorials/recipes on the Keto/LCHF lifestyle. This is a journey of figuring out what works best for YOU. I can't believe how much better I feel since I started this lifestyle in March (my first attempt a year ago was short lived because I wasn't mentally prepared -- but this time around the motivation and desire are STRONG). I'm hungry (pardon the pun) to learn from others and am thankful for such a great group of people willing to share their experiences and encourage each other. I think you will find the same experience here. Good luck. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You will get through the keto flu...... when it hits it sucks. Be prepared, understand what it is and I echo the sodium comments :) Good luck. I'm 31 days in.