Another Newbie

Options
ally1775
ally1775 Posts: 3 Member
Good morning, everyone ~

Today is my Day 1 eating keto, and the first time I've joined any groups on MFP. I have a big motivator to lose - Hawaii in October!

I'm a bit of a LC veteran from years back, but I've never been very successful with keto. I really let my weight spiral out of control for the last few years...and I'm definitely paying for it. I'm hoping to learn how to eat on keto correctly so that this time, I'll actually lose weight. In the past, I'd be very deep purple on my ketosticks but still not lose any weight. I don't know if it was because my calories were too high, or I wasn't active enough - I'm unsure, which is why I'm here.

If you have any newbie tips, I'd really appreciate them!

Replies

• cutemekat
    cutemekat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you done intermittent fasting? Keto goes really well with that.
  • ally1775
    Options
    I was reading about that - I think I'm going to try it over the weekend :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :)

Deep purple on ketostix simply means that you are eating low carb and using fat (be it dietary or body stores) for fuel. It could also mean that you are slightly dehydrated.

A deep purple ketostix does not mean weight loss. You could actually eating 5000kcal of mostly fat (which raises ketones) and get the purple, but that's not a calorie deficit so no weight loss will occur. Chances are weight gain would happen if it continued for a time.

Weight loss is mainly about making sure your calories in is less than calories out/used (or CI<CO). Neither number is set in stone and may vary based on your situation. For some, weighing their food and counting the calories helps them figure out how much they should be eating to meet their goals, especially since LCHF foods are often caloricly dense and easy to overeat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep. A calorie deficit is the number one thing you need. Without a deficit the only thing you might lose is some water weight the 1st week or so from cutting the carbohydrates.

Everyone seems to find a hack or two to help themselves along but they're still in a calorie deficit long term for loss. My trick is to keep my trigger foods out of the house and keep my refrigerator stocked with meat, eggs, cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt, half and half for coffee, vegetables, a good hit of salt for electrolytes and something to wash it down with. If those aren't appealing then it's not hunger I'm needing to satisfy.

If it's not hunger, food is not the solution.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting helps me a lot. Im not real extreme about it, I generally eat from 10 am until 6 pm. Then I pack my lunch for the next day, clean the kitchen & turn off the light!
    It helps with the evening snacking & the morning temptation of sugary stuff at work, so generally I follow that pattern most days give or take an hour.
  • ally1775
    Options
    Thanks for all of this - I checked my ketostix last night just out of curiosity, and once again - deep purple (probably from dehydration). I think I'm mostly losing water weight at the moment, as mentioned above, but this morning during my commute, I decided starting today I would only eat when truly hungry, and get my water in as early as possible. I have a terrible time sleeping, so I'm working on that as well as I know it affects weight.

Really appreciate the replies!