Pre Surgery :)

Options
ajgeorge75
ajgeorge75 Posts: 3 Member
Hello, I am pre Sleeve. I am in my 3 month nutritional/weight monitoring phase. Im trying to lose weight as I go because I have a California Vacation before my surgery will be scheduled. I have had so many thoughts about doing this surgery and not doing it.. Then I remember that the struggle is not going to go away without the tool. Im worried about my hair and all the other worse things that can happen but Im also trying to be positive and think that nothing can actually go wrong, It can be smooth sailing. So anyway, I have lost 10 pounds Since April 9th. Im trying. My high weight was 275 and right now Im sitting at 260. BMI is 44.6. I have Cigna health insurance. Anyone else have Cigna??

Replies

• shanerg70
    shanerg70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm pre-sleeve as well. Just got cleared last Friday. Met with dietician and CNP yesterday. I agree w/you, as I'm kind of scared too. But at this point, I have made a decision to focus on what I need to do TODAY, each day. Things like learning to sip, not gulp drinks and steer clear of carbonated things. I have half-assed Keto for the last 4 mos and my cholesterol and A1C are up. Kind of good to see that, as I can't do the Keto high fat thing after surgery anyway. Might as well tweak it now and make that a habit. I have Caresource insurance, so I have to do 9 mos. rather than your 3.
  • barbaramickles
    barbaramickles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the process of finding out the requirements for the sleeve. I meet with the surgeon June 15th. I have BCBS. I am not sure how many months the require, the site just says you have to show you have tried and failed over the last year to lose weight over the last years. Hopefully the Dr will provide more insight at my visit.
  • janannwa
    janannwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am in the process, too. I have Kaiser, so there is not a time requirement. Rather, we have certain goals we have to reach and steps to take. I just met with the surgeon today, and am signed up for the nutrition class next week. I waver back and forth - it is a scary step. But, I am tired of being tired. I haven't done it on my own, and have struggled for years. I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, bad knee joints, fatigue, swelling in my ankles. I don't want to wait any more hoping things will get better miraculously (where's Harry Potter when you need a magic wand??). I definitely am worried about the risks and side effects, but I already have side effects so I guess it is just a matter of deciding which is worse. My boss once said that people remain in a situation until the pain is worse than the fear of moving on. I think I am there. I am tired of the pain and I want to move on and be able to do things again. It's scary, but I think it is doable.
  • Kgpossible
    Kgpossible Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I know this thread is for pre sleevers but I thought I would share my experience because I remember all the questions that run through your mind. I had my sleeve almost 3 years ago (8-19-15) and it was the best decision I have ever made and have not regretted it for one day. I had lost 50 to 80 lbs several times in my life so losing weight wasn't the problem, but keeping it off proved impossible. My high weight was 199.9, my surgery weight was 182, and my current weight is 121. I am only 5'1 and 55 years old. There was NO pain with the surgery and I have had zero side effects other than losing weight :) My hair did thin at about the 4 to 6 month mark so I just cut it a little shorter and styled it differently. You will not go bald and only time will make it grow back. It lasted about 2 to 3 months and grew back healthier than it was before. I get full bloodwork done about every 4 to 6 months and everything looks great. When you first get it done you feel like you will never be able to gain weight again as your body won't physically let you eat very much. At about a year you realize that you can gain weight again. That is where MyFitnessPal comes in. I have logged my food everyday since surgery and have successfully kept the weight off. For the first time in my life! I have gone up about 5 lbs, but again for the first time in my life, I have gotten it back off. I love to exercise now because I don't hurt all the time. My thing is running, but it really doesn't matter what you do, just move and you will actually feel like it!! It is not a magic tool, but it is a fantastic tool. I still get full on small portions and I still am amazed how I can eat like a thin person and not have to finish everything on my plate. I have a lot of left overs..lol. I am on a FaceBook group with other sleevers and I have come to the conclusion that it is your attitude that makes the difference. We all have an issue with food or we would not be overweight. The successful people learn from their brain in the first year about their relationship with food. Many complain they miss eating more food but what I love is that I don't want to. My struggle is with sweets and chips. Bottom line, is keep a great attitude, log everything you eat to keep you accountable, learn from the first year! I wish all of you as much success as I have had because life is so much more fun when you are thinner!