Is 40 the "it's so much harder" phase?

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
Back in 2011, some 7 years ago, I began my journey using MFP. In 2 years I wound up losing 115 lbs and a gall bladder, running 40+ half marathons and 14 full marathons (something I couldn't have done or ever dreamed of doing before the weight loss). I counted my calories, I worked out religiously 5 days a week, I treated myself here and there but never went overboard because I was determined to make a difference in my health. Fast forward some years, in 2017 I was involved in a car accident that side lined me for nearly a year. I was still eating as if I were training for races, but wasn't maintaining an active lifestyle. Clothes I was so proud to wear didn't fit and went into boxes and garbage bags for the time I would "return to that size." I shopped at thrift stores to get what I could that was deemed appropriate for work. At home, I spent time in sweats, jeans and t-shirts. I was embarrassed -- I had packed on 55 lbs. About a month ago, I decided to take that leap again and work on myself as I had 7 years ago. I started weighing and calculating everything going into my mouth. I'm fortunate that my new Polar watch syncs with MFP and pulls my workout data over. I'm working out at least 5-6 days a week with one dedicated rest day, but still, in a month, the scale has barely moved. Does our bodies just know that once you tip the age scale of 40, the weight scale just crosses it's arms and refuses to budge or play along?? Has anyone else experienced this? I know several women all in their late 40's and 50's who have been successful in their weight loss journeys doing things the healthy way and I'm super aware that change doesn't happen over night. But in a months time, I would've thought I'd be at least a tad successful in my bid to get back under the 2's. Maybe it's just frustration reigning down inside. Maybe I just needed to vent. Maybe it's Maybelline. Either way.. I'm not going to stop. Can't stop. Won't stop.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You've got the right mindset and you know exactly what to do since you've successfully done it before. Yes, it's a little harder at 40 (especially for women going through the change), but of course you can still do it. You likely lost some muscle mass during your year of recovery, so your TDEE may be lower. Sounds like you were successful at cutting your calories down to a maintenance level and are not gaining so that is good. I guess you just need to adjust down a little bit more as you are already exercising 5-6 times a week. Try another 250 calorie cut and see if you start losing.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    OMG @mom23mangos --- if I cut any more, I'm going to go insane. Working out so much and burning roughly 600-800 calories a session, I'm ravenous and starving. I start getting massive migraines and am miserable. I found if I cut TOO much, I go into starvation mode and don't lose. If I eat MORE, I then tend to lose.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? That is a pretty massive burn. If it's cardio mostly, I'd cut back on that and sub some lifting. I get ravenous when I do cardio and end up eating back more than I burn. For some people it's the opposite and lifting makes them more hungry. You mentioned long distance running above. I was talking to a researcher once who studied long distance runners and he said it was crazy how efficient their bodies were at using energy and it was pretty sad how few calories they could consume compared to the amount of exercise they did.
  • heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have no brilliant words of advice other than 'I feel your pain!'. Hang in there!
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? That is a pretty massive burn. If it's cardio mostly, I'd cut back on that and sub some lifting. I get ravenous when I do cardio and end up eating back more than I burn. For some people it's the opposite and lifting makes them more hungry. You mentioned long distance running above. I was talking to a researcher once who studied long distance runners and he said it was crazy how efficient their bodies were at using energy and it was pretty sad how few calories they could consume compared to the amount of exercise they did.

Here's the funny thing -- after a long run, I am not hungry. Not at all. I actually feel sick to my stomach. It's actually the next day that I'm ravenous. So I get that researchers input. I do a mixture -- running, spinning, swimming, arms and back, abs and legs. I try to mix it up so that my body doesn't get used to ONE exercise style. I miss zumba and I should do more pilates and yoga but zumba teacher at my community center isn't that good and pilates and yoga are always in weird times. Thanks for the input and not thinking I'm insane.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you cut out processed food you may start seeing results. That means even the "healthy" stuff.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    If you cut out processed food you may start seeing results. That means even the "healthy" stuff.

I don't eat processed foods except for a whey protein shake which I used when I lost my first 115 lbs. Everything I eat is whole fruits, veggies and lean meats.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    dixiech1ck wrote: »
    except for a whey protein shake

This
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG @mom23mangos --- if I cut any more, I'm going to go insane. Working out so much and burning roughly 600-800 calories a session, I'm ravenous and starving. I start getting massive migraines and am miserable. I found if I cut TOO much, I go into starvation mode and don't lose. If I eat MORE, I then tend to lose.

Are you eating enough calories? There is such a thing, especially with that high of a workout load. when I used to run 5 miles a day my nutritionist/personal trainer had me eating 1800 calories on those days and still lost 1-2 lbs per week.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    JamesAztec wrote: »

This

Not sure what you mean by "this." It's only got 3 grams of sugar and I used the same exact powder 5 years ago when I lost 115 lbs. That shake makes my up my breakfast and is packed with veggies and fruits. So that isn't the reason for not being able to budge the scale.

On a NSV, I just bought a size smaller pants and dress this weekend. So I know I'm losing inches.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options

Are you eating enough calories? There is such a thing, especially with that high of a workout load. when I used to run 5 miles a day my nutritionist/personal trainer had me eating 1800 calories on those days and still lost 1-2 lbs per week.

Yep. Always eat at least up to my allowed 1710 every day. I learned that the hard way the first time around.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    JamesAztec wrote: »

This

Not sure what you mean by "this." It's only got 3 grams of sugar and I used the same exact powder 5 years ago when I lost 115 lbs. That shake makes my up my breakfast and is packed with veggies and fruits. So that isn't the reason for not being able to budge the scale.

On a NSV, I just bought a size smaller pants and dress this weekend. So I know I'm losing inches.

I wouldn't worry about the weight then. As long as you able to track your progress by other means. Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the weight then. As long as you able to track your progress by other means. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I agree with Mangos. Sounds like you just hit a plateau. Throw in some high carb days or low carb days randomly to try to keep your body off guard. Good luck!
  • Demed70
    Demed70 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You may want to review your current workouts. You're doing everything right. However, mix it up, try to introduce resistance training. Weights, bands, etc. Confuse and shock your body by introducing new movements.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Back in 2011, some 7 years ago, I began my journey using MFP. In 2 years I wound up losing 115 lbs and a gall bladder, running 40+ half marathons and 14 full marathons (something I couldn't have done or ever dreamed of doing before the weight loss). I counted my calories, I worked out religiously 5 days a week, I treated myself here and there but never went overboard because I was determined to make a difference in my health. Fast forward some years, in 2017 I was involved in a car accident that side lined me for nearly a year. I was still eating as if I were training for races, but wasn't maintaining an active lifestyle. Clothes I was so proud to wear didn't fit and went into boxes and garbage bags for the time I would "return to that size." I shopped at thrift stores to get what I could that was deemed appropriate for work. At home, I spent time in sweats, jeans and t-shirts. I was embarrassed -- I had packed on 55 lbs. About a month ago, I decided to take that leap again and work on myself as I had 7 years ago. I started weighing and calculating everything going into my mouth. I'm fortunate that my new Polar watch syncs with MFP and pulls my workout data over. I'm working out at least 5-6 days a week with one dedicated rest day, but still, in a month, the scale has barely moved. Does our bodies just know that once you tip the age scale of 40, the weight scale just crosses it's arms and refuses to budge or play along?? Has anyone else experienced this? I know several women all in their late 40's and 50's who have been successful in their weight loss journeys doing things the healthy way and I'm super aware that change doesn't happen over night. But in a months time, I would've thought I'd be at least a tad successful in my bid to get back under the 2's. Maybe it's just frustration reigning down inside. Maybe I just needed to vent. Maybe it's Maybelline. Either way.. I'm not going to stop. Can't stop. Won't stop.

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have your hormones checked such as thyroid and adrenal glands if you can. Maybe you’re not eating enojar for the amount of excercise. You may be stressing your body out & stress causes you to retain weight. Perhaps a few days of cardio and strength and add yoga. Your body takes longer to recover. We are now periomenolausal so that makes it harder to lose weight. Gooogle dr. Sara gottfried - she addresses hormonal changes in women
  • Knae22
    Knae22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree it is a much harder phase, emotionally and physically. But to be honest last year when I thought that all hope was lost I saw my best results. I was doing five meals a day, focused on protein intake. My three main meals consisted of two Herbalife shakes and a healthy meal for dinner. I was focused on strength training vs cardio. When I would hit a plateau I would change up my eating to intermittent fasting or something to trick my body. In November I lost my dad and gained all my weight back now I'm in the struggle again.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you were laid up for a year, you probably lost a lot more muscle than you realized. I was off one of my legs for the better part of a year (or barely walking on it), and to this day, despite months of focused strength and weight training, that leg is still noticeably smaller than the other leg. Measurements agree with that fact as well.

Adding some ST into your workouts will help you rebuild lost muscle. Atrophy is a *kitten*, and it's really hard to fully recover everything you lose, even with dedicated ST.

All that cardio with no ST to back it up is going to result in even less muscle, lowering your TDEE overall, none the less pre-accident.

Oh, and my cardio hangries always hit 24-36 hours after the fact ;)
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked.

Reduce processed carbs
  • Hollybells95
    Hollybells95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

On a NSV, I just bought a size smaller pants and dress this weekend. So I know I'm losing inches.[/quote]

Great! You're probably building back some muscle mass.