Problematic bathroom problem

Jamidi
Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
Hi everyone, I’m sure this has been talked about at length but I’m not finding any recent discussions and didn’t want to spend the day sifting through them all.
What is a solution for the loose bowels that can happen on lchf? Please don’t say increase carbs unless you’re absolutely certain it will help because I seriously feel that I’ll slide right back into my old habits if I increase carbs. I’m eating pickles and plan to pick up some bone broth tonight. Macros are 10% carbs, 70% fat, and 20% protein. I do tend to go over on protein by 1-2%.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Eat less fat and more protein, not more carbs...that should help firm things up a bit...hopefully.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,343 Member
    I thought pickles & pickle juice are supposed to help get things moving. I know I once ate an entire cucumber before a road trip, and the memory from 20 years ago haunts me to this day. :D
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    When some people start, they immediately start taking in MCT oil or lots of coconut oil. MCT oil can be a laxative. It is best to ease into using it. Since part of coconut oil is MCT, it can have the same effect. Honestly, on a couple of occasions, I got a little backed up so I used a bit of MCT oil to get things moving along again. So, if you started doing the bullet proof coffee thing out of the gate, that could be why you are having this issue.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Go Carnivore Keto for 3 days. Also, for most people who don't have any underlying medical issues or conditions, It doesn't matter if you exceed your protein goal.
  • Jamidi
    Thank you to everyone, I’ll give more protein a try.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Low sodium can cause loose stools. Try pickle juice or broth.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Does anyone know if psyllium fiber would help with this? I know that it is used as a laxative for some, but I always find it more binding than anything. It is technically a carb, but as straight up fiber, it's a zero net carb "food".
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited May 2018
    My mother has either diverticulosis or diverticulitis (I forget which) and she adds some to her LC cereal every day to help keep her from getting the runs so yeah, it works.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I have this diverticulitis so I shall try the psyllium fiber and see how it works as I too have frequent stops. Following a diet my Dr. has me on, but she is slowing reducing my carbs to about 35-40 gm for daily and none can come from anything but fruit and vege etc. So been on a learning journey this month and find this group and all the posts incredibly helpful.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    How long have you been eating lchf? I had this problem for about the first month and a half, then everything just balanced out on its own. I didn’t change anything, and have not had any problems since. I think our bodies just need time to adjust.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I get this from time to time. Mine is too much fat, so I reduce it and it goes away or I eat just meat for a few days which also helps. Hope you find something that helps.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Interesting this tread started yesterday ...as so did I. I'm mid week 3 doing Keto and the past 2 days have been really "runny". Last week I thought I was going to have to take a laxative... is this normal?
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Eat less fat and more protein, not more carbs...that should help firm things up a bit...hopefully.
    Agree, just back up on the fat percentage a little.
  • Jamidi
    Funny enough on the day this happened I hadn’t taken my daily fiber. So, I’ve increased protein and added my fiber back in and everything is much better