Ramadan and OMAD

alyripper
alyripper Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
I have been following OMAD for the past 2-3 months with my splurge days on Sunday.

I am a Muslim and we observe Ramadan\ramzan starting from today. During this period, we fast for 15 hrs, the fast observed is dry fasting and we do not have water or even eat during this period.

So basically, we fast from 4:30 AM to 7:30 PM (14 hrs). Our main meal is in the evening at 7:30 PM and we have another meal at 4:00 AM pre-dawn or just before closing the fast. More like (14:8) . Where we have two meals.

I dont want to loose the rhythm and still wanting to loose weight. I am afraid this method, I may not see much results.

Question here to avoid any results.

i) Is it advisable to do 15 hrs fast and have two meals and have two meals within 8 hrs eating window as per the ritual. Would I still loose weight?

ii) I was thinking to just stick to one big mea in the evening which means sticking to my OMAD plan. The only worry is that there is no water allowed during the water (dry fasting) . I was thinking to simply hydrate in the evening when I have my one meal a day.

NOTE: This lent\fasting period for religious reason is only for 30 days.

I am confused if eating pre-dawn or 2nd meal may help to give more energy or feel less thirsty during the day.

I would like to loose another 10 pounds to get to my goal weight.
Any recommendation would appreciated.

Replies

• tlblanks1
    tlblanks1 Posts: 201 Member
    I would try the two meals first and see how it goes, and if you are stalling or gaining then drop down to the one meal and hydrate during your meals.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    tlblanks1 wrote: »
    I would try the two meals first and see how it goes, and if you are stalling or gaining then drop down to the one meal and hydrate during your meals.

I agree with this :)
  • EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    @alyripper What is acceptable to your religion and personal feelings on the matter? I've seen that dry fasting is equal to wet fasting on a 1 to 3 ratio. In other words, 1 day of dry is equal to 3 wet. My hypothesis is you will lose weight during these 30 days, if your eating is somewhat under control.

This is an extremely important time to you, so if your group feels you should eat twice, eat twice! Would an acceptable option be to hydrate some during the OMAD evening meal, but hydrate more heavily without food in the morning?
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Assalamu alaikum wr wb. Where I am, the fast is apx 17 hours. I have been told there is blessing in having both Sahoor and Iftar. I know for myself, I have a small sahoor of a date, greek yogurt, granola, boiled eggs or cheese and water ... it usually just amounts to apx 350 cals but it carries me through the day and makes the dry fast go much more smoothly. Then I have a regular meal in the evening. For your questions;

i. You should lose weight either way. I agree with what the others suggested.
    ii. If you choose to do this option, I would still suggest having a date and water for your sahoor. (going without sahoor was quite difficult the other morning when i awoke 2 minutes before fajr and didn't have time for a proper sahoor ... headache, etc. It made for a rough day, so I would sincerely recommend what tlbanks1 suggested by at least trying the 2 meals at first, and if that doesn't work, try just having the date and water in the am and meal at night).

Let us know how you are making out.