Biggest Surprise/Shock on Keto

Options
SteveP999Tx
SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
I've been doing this for 60 days. I did days and weeks of research before diving in 100%. I've done well. But, with all the research I had done, there were a few things I wasn't suspecting. What's your biggest shock on the lifestyle?

I have a list:

1. I don't poop much. Maybe nobody wants to talk about it. But for the first month, I thought something was wrong.
2. If you would have told me I could fast for a day with ease, I would have laughed in your face. But I do.

and my biggest shock.

3. The hate. I really didn't expect the barrage of "experts" that attack Keto like it's some alien approach to eating. It's called a "fad" diet. I've been told that I'm killing myself because my brain needs glucose. I've been told that my cholesterol will go sky high. I've been told a laundry list of reasons why the way I eat is harmful and irresponsible. Yes - I understand that you can lose weight with the CICO system. Yes I understand that you've gone to school for eight years to learn nutrition and you are more of an expert than I am. But I listen to a lot of people. What I've learned is these "experts" are repeating what they've been taught. But this is a different language they don't understand. For some of them, it threatens their business model. People that have worked their TAILS off to lose weight are a little resentful that some are losing weight with no workouts. The mentality that you have to eat 5 meals a day of grains and fruits has been so beaten into our heads that some have a hard time accepting that there is another way.

Replies

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed the same about my migraines. I’ve only been following keto since mid-April and the only headache I’ve had in the last 30 days of my log was this weekend when I paid the price for eating poorly at that party - and I kept forgetting to take my preventative med so much that I quit it completely a few weeks ago.
    Even when I was on the horribly restrictive headache elimination diet my neurologist wanted me to try last fall, I still had 5-6 migraine days a month. That was a big improvement from the 20 or more it had been, but this is so much better and I’m actually enjoying food rather than dreading trying to figure it what to eat.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through the rare side effect of hair loss :( My biggest shock is that could even happen! So i am currently struggling to make it less bad, not very successfully though.

My other surprise is how much easier this WOE has been for weight loss than any other way I have tried. Like, i lose even without working out! And it is happening faster than any time before. I am 15+ lbs down from my lowest ever on any other diet, and i did it in half the time.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I may have just started a "Woo" war over in the general weight loss forum...oops. They always woo our Keto posts, so I "woo"ed several of their 'keto is bad for you' and 'it's only cico that matters' and 'keto is bad advice' lol. Their responses are funny.

But ya, I don't understand why they get so upset about how we "limit our calories" by doing keto. It's like they literally cannot understand that carbs affect people differently, and some people have to limit carbs to lose weight.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've had several surprises from the Keto way of eating so far, and I am hoping more will come my way...specifically fat loss and a good blood panel.

What has surprised me the most was the reduction of inflammation and knee pain from too much weighted hiking, sports and torn ACL's in earlier years. After a couple weeks of keto, I just so happen to notice that i wasn't relying on ibuprofen at all to get to sleep at night. That is huge for me, because i was really concerned that my knees would give out eventually, and I wasn't sure how I would deal with the pain.

When i was eating/relying on cico, i was always ravenous...especially the more i exercised! This WOE is a game changer. I don't feel like i'm starving all the time, and I am completely satiated. I've never really cut the carbs or sugar like this before, and it amazes me that I'm not really all that hungry.

Lastly, i noticed that my skin seems to have more cellulite, in places that I didn't have it before. From what I've read, it's the adipose tissue loosing fat and water from the cells and giving an appearance of lumpy skin. I sure hope that when I get where i want to be in composition and weight, that my skin shrinks or smooths out some.
  • LipsLikeSykur
    LipsLikeSykur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am about 7 weeks in and have noticed many of the things you all have mentioned. I guess one of the biggest surprises for me is how easy it is to resist temptation. I have a big family and my house is still full of things that I love and can't eat...like Nutella ;). I think to myself "I wish I could have that" but that's it. It's not a struggle not to eat those foods. I didn't expect that. I do still sometimes crave sugar but for the most part I don't have cravings any more. I previously had a serious salty grains/sugar craving cycle going on daily.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am about 7 weeks in and have noticed many of the things you all have mentioned. I guess one of the biggest surprises for me is how easy it is to resist temptation. I have a big family and my house is still full of things that I love and can't eat...like Nutella ;). I think to myself "I wish I could have that" but that's it. It's not a struggle not to eat those foods. I didn't expect that. I do still sometimes crave sugar but for the most part I don't have cravings any more. I previously had a serious salty grains/sugar craving cycle going on daily.

I’ve noticed the same. I walked into work last night and there were 5 different boxes of cookies/cake/donuts, etc. that patients or our wonderful volunteers had brought for us. Not even a “I wish I could”, just no appeal at all.

This morning I had to go straight to Kid2’s 6th grade graduation when I got off work and being very tired and a bit hungry, wondered if the goodies they were serving as a celebratory breakfast (donuts, bagels, fruits and juice) would tempt me, but not a thing jumped out at me as looking like something I wanted to eat. That lack of cravings definitely makes it easier to stick to the plan.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just a mod-nod here... I see that y'all are keeping it pretty light here, but please remember that criticizing the main forum or non-low carb friendly folks is coming close to violating MFP guidelines. Y'all kept it mature here, but I don't want it to get out of hand.

So, thanks for acting like grown ups and keep calm and keto on!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    phytogurl wrote: »
    I've had several surprises from the Keto way of eating so far, and I am hoping more will come my way...specifically fat loss and a good blood panel.

What has surprised me the most was the reduction of inflammation and knee pain from too much weighted hiking, sports and torn ACL's in earlier years. After a couple weeks of keto, I just so happen to notice that i wasn't relying on ibuprofen at all to get to sleep at night. That is huge for me, because i was really concerned that my knees would give out eventually, and I wasn't sure how I would deal with the pain.

When i was eating/relying on cico, i was always ravenous...especially the more i exercised! This WOE is a game changer. I don't feel like i'm starving all the time, and I am completely satiated. I've never really cut the carbs or sugar like this before, and it amazes me that I'm not really all that hungry.

Lastly, i noticed that my skin seems to have more cellulite, in places that I didn't have it before. From what I've read, it's the adipose tissue loosing fat and water from the cells and giving an appearance of lumpy skin. I sure hope that when I get where i want to be in composition and weight, that my skin shrinks or smooths out some.

@phytogurl

While no one thing works for everyone, the general idea is that if you continue to eat enough protein (and collagen-related foods), and maintain or improve your fitness/workouts, plus losing relatively slow/steady, your skin will have more time to "spring back" with you. "Practicing maintenance" at several stages along the health gains/weight loss journey can help, too.

Sometimes massage that uses lymphatic and/or myofascial release can help speed this process, too... (ESPECIALLY MYOFASCIAL RELEASE MASSAGE - as that can help with the "stickiness of the skin/fat deposits/muscles, etc. - I can't fully attest to the science behind the fascia blaster products, but the underlying principals are true - verified by a local licensed massage therapist trained and certified in the that technique.)...

As well as the usual suspects of sufficient sleep, plenty of water, treating vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, self care, and supporting organ health - especially liver and kidney health.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    WHAT! Myofascial release!

So, my foam roller may be more to credit for my lack of cellulite on my hamstrings than my fat loss.

That's amazing and will definitely encourage future foam rolling!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @tcunbeliever

If you go deep with your foam roller, I would say that it is definitely a contributing factor...but without your fat loss and your improved muscles, the foam roller alone could not have done it, but it definitely does not hurt!

While this lady is the person SELLING the FASCIA BLASTER product line, this is a pretty good explanation of the process and what fascia actually are, why you don't "blast" your cheekbones and such... (We want the plumpness there, most of the time)... https://ashleyblackguru.com/what-is-fascia/

This above technique is used aggressively, from what I remember of the youtube videos, to decent success, if I recall....

I'll ask my massage therapist friend if she has any good basic links for people in the process of deciding to add a Licensed Massage Therapist Certified in Advanced Direct Myofascial Release.

This seems to be a decent article, too: http://www.advancedmassageandmovement.com/Massage.html
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Deep or not deep generally depend on how sore I am...some days I'm done in like 5 min, other days it's like 20...just depends on how the muscles are feeling...good to know it might be helping at the very least!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@phytogurl

While no one thing works for everyone, the general idea is that if you continue to eat enough protein (and collagen-related foods), and maintain or improve your fitness/workouts, plus losing relatively slow/steady, your skin will have more time to "spring back" with you. "Practicing maintenance" at several stages along the health gains/weight loss journey can help, too.

Sometimes massage that uses lymphatic and/or myofascial release can help speed this process, too... (ESPECIALLY MYOFASCIAL RELEASE MASSAGE - as that can help with the "stickiness of the skin/fat deposits/muscles, etc. - I can't fully attest to the science behind the fascia blaster products, but the underlying principals are true - verified by a local licensed massage therapist trained and certified in the that technique.)...

As well as the usual suspects of sufficient sleep, plenty of water, treating vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, self care, and supporting organ health - especially liver and kidney health.

So do you think that a collagen supplement may help, or would my diet be enough? Hmmm, I'm very interested in the massage idea as therapy not only for my sore muscles but to also help with my cottage cheese skin. Thank you KnitorMiss...maybe, i'll look into that and budget that in :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@phytogurl

So do you think that a collagen supplement may help, or would my diet be enough? Hmmm, I'm very interested in the massage idea as therapy not only for my sore muscles but to also help with my cottage cheese skin. Thank you KnitorMiss...maybe, i'll look into that and budget that in :)

@phytogurl

Remember that if you take in collagen with the intention of specifically to help skin/hair/nails/etc., it must be consumed alone, and in a calorie restricted manner (I don't recall the number, here), or else it will be digested and processed as an incomplete protein. I believe bone broth is the preferred source, though I also like collagen powder.

Personally, I feel that if you get enough protein, and some of that protein includes slowly cooked meats that render out collage into the mix, you're golden and probably don't need to add anything. If you do add in something, I'd opt for food sources, if possible...and so on. But if your only option is to take some kind of supplement, just make sure that it meets your needs...

Boron and zinc are also part of this process, the boron is lesser known for a lot of reasons...

Good luck on working in the massage as therapy. That sounds like the best supplement you can get! :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    1. That my taste buds have really changed. Have sent back iced tea to Starbucks because I thought they added in three packs of Splenda instead of one--finally realized it was me, not them. Sorry, baristas!
    2. That the keto "induction phase" is very long, but once it's over, it's pretty much over. I thought it would take me a few weeks to kick the keto flu, then when it went on longer, assumed being weaker during workouts was the price I had to pay for such a satisfying and easy weight loss method. Now, 3-4 months into it, I have better strength, stamina and speed. And all my other "flu" symptoms are gone. The only difference between me now and pre-keto is 12 lbs. and lack of cravings.
    3. That I could travel 2-3x per month, go on two family vacations, be in my 40s, not have much weight to lose--and still get to my goal weight in faster time than I ever did before.