Vsg almost a year. Did not lose 100 lbs

Options
crosbyp12003
crosbyp12003 Posts: 4 Member
Hey everyone I’m so ashamed I did not lose 100lbs and my 1 year anniversary is coming. Yes I follow the program and yes I exercise 5 times a week average 30 minutes. I’ve only lost 61 pounds. I had a blood clot in my spleen at 4 mos post op. Ever since then I’ll lose the same 2-3 lbs.

Like I lost 3 lbs last Friday by this Friday dumb scale is saying I’ve gaine 8lbs. I look so bloated in the mirror like I look when I was 300 pounds. I think I wasted my time gett8ng this surgery. Ughhhhh I’m so depress and mad. Could it be my diabetes meds, slow thyroid and menopause. Help. My clothes fit fine but that darn scale won’t budge.

Replies

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What do you eat generally? How many calories? Some programs/plans are better than others and that’s not your fault, but maybe people hee can give you advice. On the plus side, you’re down 61 pounds! That’s a huge benefit to your health and nothing to feel down about!
  • crosbyp12003
    Options
    I’m on a 1400 calorie diet. Stay bloated most of the time.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Try to remember that scale shouldn't be the only way that you should measure yourself. If you clothes are fitting better, than that's a good sign :) I weigh myself usually once a month, my clothes do not represent the number that I see on the scale so I don't depend on it. Also, as time gets longer, we sometimes get comfortable with our food choices. For example after my surgery and for years after, I did not consume any carbonated product then one day I had a coke and I could tolerate it, so be mindful of things that you eat now (even though it may be in your calorie range) may act differently with a smaller stomach. Also, with a smaller stomach you don't have as much stomach acid to break down some things, I can not break down gluten anymore but at the beginning of my surgery I lived on crackers and chips because that's all I could tolerate. I say, journal your food and see how you feel after it. It will take some time, but you may see, that after you eat a certain food EVEN thou it has been in your rotation before now causes you bloat or distention. I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree, you may have developed an intolerance to foods you’re used to eating. An elimination diet to see if you can isolate something that’s causing your bloat like dairy or gluten might be helpful.

Also, I know quite a few people who have had weight loss surgery and I am endlessly fascinated by how many calories each person can eat to lose or maintain. Some it’s around 1000 to maintain. I’m around 1800 (very tall). Some fall in the middle. Those past menopause tend to fall on the low end. So you seem to have found 1400 is your maintenance level. You could try dropping your calories for a few weeks and see what happens. I lost all my weight in 8 months eating under 1000 calories per my surgeon’s instructions. Now I eat a good bit more to maintain. The further out from surgery you are, the more you can eat volume wise and the hungrier you get. I think that’s why it’s so important to take advantage of the first honeymoon year - it’s just that it never is easier than that year. But by no means does that mean you can lose more with some tweaks!

You might want to talk to a registered dietitian to help figure out the blostingvthough that sounds really frustrating and uncomfortable.
  • crosbyp12003
    Options
    Everyone thanks. I have a dietician. She recommended the 1400 calories . I’m a big snacker that’s my problem. The bloating comes from cheese I was eating got to stop, I’m really lactose intolerant. That was just stupid. I lost 3 lbs in one week the next week the scales says I’ve gain between 8-12 lbs. which my husbands says is impossible. I feel like I’ve failed. Too embarrassed to tell people I had surgery and didn’t lose much. In my honeymoon phase I had a blood clot in my spleen almost died. After that surgery I never loss any more weight. I would go up and then down. I lost inches. Thanks for all your help. Somehow I missed that segment that says. Lose as much as you can the first six months.
    I kept hearing from my surgeon 2 years.

I got cut on so I can play diet roulette. I know it’s a tool but my tool seems rusty now. Lol
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Crosbyp, you had a serious complication and none of us know how we would have managed that experience. I don't know anyone who has not had to deal with the snacking issue. The only way I could overcome it was to find another activity in place of snacking. I started walking in place for 5-10 minutes. I figure if I'm going to have a bite of something I better be prepared to walk it off. They say if you can find a substitute activity in time you'll think about the activity rather than the snack. I also save a few bites from my dinner to have as a snack, this prevents me from overeating.

I agree with your husband it's impossible to gain 8-12 pounds in a week unless you did nothing but eat. However, I have found my weight go up 5 pounds in only a couple of days, only to drop off in a few days. Personally part of the fluctuation for me is when I eat out. My body doesn't like preservatives and dining out is a killer for me.

Just keep working at it and find what works for you.
  • crosbyp12003
    Options
    Thank you. I needed that sooooo much
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    First off, there's no rule that says you have to lose 100lbs to be "successful". So, no need to be ashamed. :smile: Everybody's body is different and we all lose at different speeds and amount. So many factors go into weight loss they are too numerous to list. And also, don't forget weight is only one measurement of health.

So... here's what's worked for me. I'm 3+ years post op. I once weighed 403lbs and now am in the 190's (I don't weigh myself anymore). I eat as much as I want, all day, everyday. But I RARELY eat refined carbohydrates and processed foods. So, that means I don't drink the protein shakes, or eat the protein bars. I don't take supplements regularly or worry about water intake. I try to eat like most people ate up until about 50 years ago. Except I eat more often. If I had to estimate my calorie intake it's probably around 3,000 on average.

I realize this is counter-intuative to most of what we've been taught as bariatric patients. For me, the results speak for themselves. I'm NEVER hungry, don't have CRAVINGS and enjoy the heck out of the food I eat. I don't have to worry about "counting" anything. All my blood markers are excellent. I'm more fit and happier than I've ever been. And last week I ran a full Marathon.

So... that's what works for me. I hope that helps you get to where you want to go. :smiley:
  • soangelakay
    soangelakay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't fret Queen! Everyone is so different. Are you still losing inches? I always say scales lie inches don't. Make sure you're hitting your protein & water goals. Also watch your carbs & sugar intake. Sometimes it helps to go back to the basics.
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your troubles with the clot!!! (hugs) Hang in there!

I am post meno, on a total hormone blocker for anti-cancer therapy, am hypo and have pcos. I'm 55. And my TDEE is only 1400cals. For me to personally lose, I have to follow my surgeon's and RD's plan to a T and stay at or under 850 cals per day. Otherwise the scale goes way down to only about 3-4lbs per month. I also have to keep my carbs under about 30g whole carbs per day. Protein is between 70-74g.

I don't snack outside my meal schedule and eat very cleanly and simply--not a lot of cheesy, gooey, casserole stuff and no contraband. It seriously kinda sucks to have to be that focused and strict, but because of my extra crap, it is what it is. OH and I also walk 6 days a week, and do conditioning 3 days per week.

I think if something isn't working for any of us, we have to go back to the basic rules and then start the tweeks to see what works. I'd prolly start by making 3-4 mini meals per day and dropping all snacks and crap and eating protein first (dense lean), then veg, then healthy fat, then fruit if room left.

You can do this!!!
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My year out is in August, and I'm 30 pounds away from my goal weight. I'd rather this take 18 months to meet my goal anyways, slow and steady makes me happy and successful.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a reset? I did that and it helped me tremendously. Go to bariatric eating on Facebook or their website. It really does help. You can do this!!!!