Protein Grams

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
I am back to eating like I should be and making use of the tool I have. I went through my surgery info and I can’t find the info regarding the grams of protein I should be getting per day. Could anyone share that info with me?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Each doctor seems to recommend different amounts. The lowest recommendation I've seen is 60grams. Usually it's around 70 or 80.

Our bodies "store" protein for a week or more so you don't really need to hit a certain amount daily. And if you're eating whole foods you should be getting plenty.

And for me personally, I haven't tracked protein since the first few months after surgery (vsg March 2015). Nor do I track calories, water, macros, etc. I just tried to develop good habits and stick with them best I can.
  • buxombrunette
    buxombrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They tend to say 0.8-1g per kg of body weight, so if you're 100kg aim for 80-100g. Double it if you weigh in pounds.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The very very base # is 60 grams. You need to hit that daily... Goes for water also, the very least amount you should drink is 64 ounces a day.

so, at least 60, more is better for protein. :)
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and female. I was told to aim for 60-65 per day. I don't know if gender plays a role in the recommended grams of protein.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    90 grams per day.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My dieticians instructions were 60 to 100 grams of protein. I do track my protein. It helps me with hunger and retaining muscle.
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My RD gave me my goal which is 74g/day give or take, but to definitely hit the range of 60-80g/day.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference if your are male or female. Males generally need more, and taller people need more protein than a shorter person. I'm a F, 5'11", and my RD said to get minimum 80 grams, but, around 120 grams would be best
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was given 80 grams by my dietician. I usually hit right around that. Some days less, some days more but on average, I'm right around the 80.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was also given 80 grams.