Working out over 300 lbs

Options

Replies

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    OK i am going to rant a little bit so hold on to your hats ......My knee has a bruise on it that has been there for months , it has been swollen for ohhh a year .....it hurts like a toothache all the time , I saw an orthopedic guy , sweet man talked to me for like 8 mins (that is a long time in doctor time) took an ex-ray , told me i had had major arthritis in my knee , and I needed shots ...then said but your knee is so big I wouldn't know where to put the shot ...then he smiled and tapped my knee and said as sweet as butter , you go home lose weight . nothing can be done . your fat , as long as you are fat no one can help you!

I sat there , with I know a dumb look on my face , and said OK , then they are sending me bills after my insurance paid 80% of the office visit and I paid my co-pay , you think they will ever see that other 60 bucks LOL
    , they tell you lose weight , but help you in no way , pills or a shot would have been nice , at lease I could have tried it , if it was good great if not I didn't have to do it again .

but to be patted on the head like a 5 year old told to run along , be in pain , you're fat so that is your life . deal .

so now I walk as much as I can , I ice my knee , I take over the counter pain meds , I use a big rubber band and try to make my leg stronger . and I am losing weight .

but next time a doctor says to me your fat , he might get a ear full , then I might walk out . or she the women docs do it too.

I am 200 pounds overweight and I know they are right , but there is no help for us except surgery .

this web site has done more for me in 80+ days then all the doctors in the world !!!
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2. I know how you feel. Even after losing 42 lbs since Jan 1st my dr keeps telling me lose more eat better blah blah blah. We know this already. Sometimes we need actual medical care and some compassion. I have osteoarthritis in both my knees.They are bone on bone. Cortisone shots do not work anymore. I gaurantee you...do what you can even if it's 5 mins at a time. As the weight comes off your knees will feel better. If I were you I would call customer Service that deals with your insurance and file a complaint. Sometimes they do wave fees because of poor care. Make your voice heard. As we all learned some point in our lives if we don't do it no one will. Im proud of you for starting your journey and making positive changes in your life. And this group is an amazing bunch and we all are here for each other.
    Melanie
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    @bigghunny Thank you ! I will do that!
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My FitBit Zip pedometer tells me that I am getting in between 5,000 to 7,500 steps on my working days, but my weekends are pretty much 2,500 and 1,000. I tried to make the jump from 7,500 weekdays steps to 10,000 steps/day on Saturday with a nice long walk (now that the ice is all gone), but I think it was too soon and too much. I only got in 5,000 steps, and my feet and ankles hurt badly by the time I returned home, my lower legs ached throughout the night, and I put a little too much pressure on one hip flexer. It was tender all the next day. I did not try to go out walking yesterday. But, on a positive note, with all my advance meal prepping on Sunday which requires a lot of standing, my feet did not cause me any trouble. Today I seem to be back to what passes for normal right now. This new normal is a whole lot better than my starting normal of two months ago.

I'm wondering now if it might have been trying to do too many steps in one lengthy walk Saturday instead of in a series of smaller walks over the entire day. I think I'm going to ease into incorporating a daily evening walk after supper to supplement my number of steps over the day. I will start with a 15-min walk tonight and work my way up to a 45-min walk by summer.
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 - that makes me so angry for you. Sometimes I want to tell my docs "I'm fat, not stupid". Now if a doc can tell me how I'm supposed to work out when every step is agony it would be some useful information.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @PloddingTurtle - it sounds like you have a great plan. Just keep increasing your time/distance and you will improve!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I actually managed to finally get onto the elliptical yesterday! I did 15 minutes, with part of the time at a 2 resistance and part at 3. I know, it's not a whole lot of resistance, but it did get my heart rate up some and I figured I'd rather get more time in than more intensity, especially since its the 1st time I'd used it. I'm not sore this morning, either, but boy I could hardly walk when i first got off of it yesterday evening!
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    well i bought some weights (5 pounds) and I am doing work outs in my living room , last night it was outside . played 2 square with my daughter for about 10 mins then did 20 arm lifts with the weights and then did 10 leg and arm lunges . man I was kind of sore later , I will do them again today and start doing it once maybe twice a day. MY knee is so sore it is hard to do long walks or the dance video I love , i tried and was in so much pain I didn't do it again , but I will when I lose more . still using the big rubber bans as well .
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 that is awesome! Remember when working out sore muscles are good, pain is not. Listen to your body and don't hurt yourself.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    Sounds like we are making some good progress!!

My knees have been getting better as I loose weight and generally strengthen my legs (just higher step counts, not any lifting yet). I am starting to take stairs like a big girl again instead of one at a time which is awesome.

But what I am most excited about is my breakthrough at the gym today. I have a weird gait so buying sneakers is rough. Add to that how hugely swollen my feet were and it was almost impossible. I had special ordered some sneakers from the UK for diabetics (us ones are sooo ugly most of the time). Then I got on a diuretic and they became too big. I think I tried 7 or 8 pairs of sneakers from $35 all the way up to a pair that was $159 and my feet were cramping in all of them. Not just a little but seriously painful.

Well today I did 25 minutes straight on the treadmill with no foot cramps! I don’t know if my feet are getting used to the work or if I have just gotten this latest pair broken in enough but it was amazing to be walking without pain. I really want to start running again and today is the first time in a while I felt like it might be possible.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @MzCara148 that is awesome good news! I wouldn't worry about running just yet. Just enjoy building that endurance on the treadmill. You've got this!
  • JennaLynDuncan
    JennaLynDuncan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started to gain weight when going to the gym. I'm not eating back my calories burned, but it seems like I always weigh like a lb or 2 more the day after the gym. It's a bit disheartening.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    well, while I don't go to the gym, I do a lot of yard work in spurts, and I can tell you, @JennaLynDuncan , that when working your muscles, you will gain water weight as they repair themselves after the heavy exertion - in other words, its not at all unnatural to see a little gain after a work out; its water weight, especially if its a sudden jump of 1 or 2 lbs within 24 hours of doing that workout. It's not that you are doing something wrong - its just a natural result of your body dealing with the added stress put on it from the workout; its part of the restoration process your body undergoes.

It's not actual weight gain, at least, not all of it, especially not so soon after a workout, especially if you are staying in your calorie deficit and not eating back exercise calories. Water weight is a really insidious thing, though!

When it comes to weight gain from muscle compared to fat, I'll have to punt to those who know more, and recommend you put that question in the refeeds thread as those folks are really up on the science behind gaining muscle and strength and the physiological effects of working out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest

I can and have actually seen as much as 5 lbs in a sudden jump of water weight after spending a day doing strenuous work, like digging post holes or hauling around 4x8 sheets of wood or 2x4 boards or carrying blocks or other strenuous labor, and it can take well over a week for me to finally drop it. It can be very disheartening, I know, though - but it helps knowing that its water weight and all I need to do is ride it out! My water weight gains can make it look like I wiped a whole week's worth of deficit out and can mask any actual loss I've had, and I was beginning to wonder how I could possibly be gaining as much as 5 lbs in water weight, but the folks in the deficit thread said that at my current weight of 270 lbs, that 5 lbs is actually well within normal expectations for water weight gains.

• JennaLynDuncan
    JennaLynDuncan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well, while I don't go to the gym, I do a lot of yard work in spurts, and I can tell you, @JennaLynDuncan , that when working your muscles, you will gain water weight as they repair themselves after the heavy exertion - in other words, its not at all unnatural to see a little gain after a work out; its water weight, especially if its a sudden jump of 1 or 2 lbs within 24 hours of doing that workout. It's not that you are doing something wrong - its just a natural result of your body dealing with the added stress put on it from the workout; its part of the restoration process your body undergoes.

It's not actual weight gain, at least, not all of it, especially not so soon after a workout, especially if you are staying in your calorie deficit and not eating back exercise calories. Water weight is a really insidious thing, though!

Thanks! I know you can can have some water weight gain, it's just SO frustrating! The first month after I saw my dietitian I lost 16 lbs! Now she's added in 3 30 minute intense walks a week on top of my calorie deficit and I've only lost 2lbs in just under 2 weeks.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @JennaLynDuncan Everyone says weight loss isn't linear and I can tell you for sure it isn't for me. I have a gain every other week. Seriously. One week will be up around 2 and the next week will be like down 5 (minus the 2 I put on the week before and down 5 pounds, so I will actually be down 7 lbs in a week). It's enough to drive you insane, but if you can hang in there, it evens out.

Have you tried the happy scale app? It tracks your lowest weigh in and gives you a "moving average". I like to see the moving average stay steady even if there are ups and downs day to day.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @bigghunny , Melanie, awww, your poor knees.. :s
  • amy_kee
    Options
    @MzCara148 What a breakthrough with your feet on the treadmill!! So glad you saw the trainer @ Planet Fitness. Now, you'll be working on those weight machines more and more. Planet Fitness is great, isn't it? I go there too and am so happy there. I love you attitude about becoming a fit person. It is coming true for you.
  • amy_kee
    Options
    @PloddingTurtle so glad you're experiencing the NSV's. Plus, you have found a way that really works well for you. That's great!
  • amy_kee
    Options
    @JennaLynDuncan that's normal. It's water weight from exercising your muscles. Keep up the gym exercises. It pays off!