What are the greatest benefits of spin classes?

Options
Hi, I've recently got quite addicted to spin classes and have bought a heart rate monitor so I can see whose classes I burn the most calories in. Some seem better for overall fitness and others better for weight loss - but what do you think the greatest benefit is? Toning up, weight loss, improving fitness? etc.

Replies

• kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    endurance, stamina, rock hard legs
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    My cardio endurance is so much better when I spin. Spinning is about the only thing that really gets my heart rate up (other than running sprints which kill my knees) and challenges me. Definitely different instructors give different burns too. For me, it's all about the music. We have one instructor who is technically excellent and she does her class like she is preparing you for road riding so tons of in the saddle time. But her music is AWFUL! I spend the whole class making my to-do list and walk out of there with fewer calories burned than 30 minutes on the elliptical with my own music.
  • raulfarfan
    raulfarfan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article that indoor cycling helps to improve your cardio, heart beat, and definitely burns calories indistinctively from fat or muscle. It is therefore important to combine it with strength training (I just started... since I am a spinning obsessive!! LOL :smile: ) Anyways...let's keep up the pedaling!!
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Healthy heart. Had surgery 9 weeks ago, went back to spin 4 weeks ago, and since then resting heart rate has dropped from 63 to 56! Healthier more efficient heart!