Down on myself.

Options
Phoenix_Dawn
Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
I feel like I have been struggling, trying to force myself to eat lower carbs, like in the keto range but I just don't seem to be able to keep my carbs that low. I constantly feel like I'm failing because I want to eat a tonne of vegetables, and the occasional treats, but then my carbs are almost always over 50g. Then I get the throw in the towel attitude and eat whatever I want late in the evening because I blew it anyway. I don't do this every day but I do it enough that I feel like it has halted my weight loss. I get plenty of exercise and have an active job. Do any of you have success eating on the higher end of the low carb range? Do you still get the appetite suppression? I can be a bottomless pit when I eat highly refined carbs.

Replies

• Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Maybe it would just be easier to stick to if I gave myself a higher carb limit and shoot for lower so I'm not constantly failing. I'll send you a friend request Tammy
  • Wachkel
    Wachkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with nvmomketo's post. While I don't skip meals, as a general rule, I do stick to 30g NET carbs a day. Because I have digestive issues, I try to get my daily fiber in with 3 servings of veggies and a variety of lettuce types. If I get to 50g total carbs but have consumed 20g-25g of fiber I feel most satisfied and within my carb goal. Like others have said, you need to find what works for you. Remember the weight didn't come on over night so be patient with yourself! You'll find your groove before long. Hang in there . . . you will so happy you did! Feel free to send me a Friend Request, I'd like to keep apprised of your progress. Good luck!!!!!!!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am following keto because it eliminates my carb cravings, but I can promise you weight loss is very possible at 50 grams of carbs or higher--it's all about the total calorie count! I did South Beach Diet and 21 Day Fix successfully and both of those are likely in the 75 carb or so range (rough estimate.) I lost quickly and kept it off for quite a while.

BTW, on keto I DO eat a lot of vegetables. I feel like I'm pretty much eating what I used to on South Beach minus "good carbs" like oatmeal and whole grain bread or sweet potatoes, and I do intend to add those back in a month or two once I've been at my goal weight for a little longer.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I lost all my excess 60 pounds averaging 128 total carbs per day. My mode was the popular/unpopular (depending on the circle) eat less move more (not the specific diet, just the wording). In hindsight I'll call it: Quit eating all day every day and get off that recliner and move. It worked. I counted calories and paid little attention to macros. The 128 grams is just what it happened to average. Turns out fat, carbs and protein averaged around the 30ish percent-whatever equated to 100% of my deficit calories. I wasn't into and knew nothing about specific diets.

I was highly driven during weight loss to get it off and adhered to my calorie deficit. It took a year of a sensible deficit coupled with reasonable increased movement/exercise to create a bit more of a deficit. AFTER weight loss, I was incredibly hungry. Physical gnawing hunger. I happened upon keto for neurological disorders (I have a neurological movement disorder) and decided to trial keto for 52 weeks for neurology. I was SHOCKED by the hunger suppression. That was 2016.

I have remained LCHF-for hunger supppression-with no emphasis on being in ketosis. I generally eat about 50 carbs per day but "flex" up on special occasions. I don't seek "special occasions". I've determined they average about 20 days a year for me. My physical hunger has not returned. I'm careful not to string too many days together of "flexing" to deter cravings. On occasion, at home (a non-special-occasion) I might have a few extra carbs from an ear of corn or the beans in a bowl of chili. I don't consider that a "fail".

I like keto and LCHF and it is what I choose the vast majority of days. In the end it is calories for weight loss/maintenance. Macro allocations for health/fitness goals, satiety, compliance to calories. IMO. Find what works for you. My world neither requires nor desires strict keto for weight management.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 60grams net carbs and my gross is almost always over 100 and I have always had good results. I do get hungry at times but make sure not to keep bad food in the house...if i'm hungry i take a handful of peanuts and that does the trick.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of carbs can help you be mindful of what you are eating and making better choices. However, I'm no longer hung up on a number (Must. Get. Less. Than. 50g...) and it's made life much easier. For me, and as others have said eating Keto and LCHF help with the food cravings because you can incorporate fats and more proteins into your diet which makes me less "hangry" and eliminates that famished feeling at the end of the day. (refer to the above posts re: Hunger suppression and lots of Energy.)

I ended up using the great information that I learned in this group and going back to the basic Calories In are less than Calories Burned AND now in order to do that eating LCHF helps me better manage the "Calories In" and my eating habits. Having GOOD "Calories In" has been the key, I don't count calories, and more so than counting numbers, It's about ratios now, Carbs LESS THAN Fats and Proteins AND Everything I eat LESS THAN what my BMI and activity levels require. Now, I have enough energy to burn while keeping my muscles strong and my head clear, that has made the difference for me. My weight loss is slow(er) than when I was doing straight Keto - now about .8 to 1 pound a week. I'm very happy with that and find this is what works for me and is sustainable. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Breaking it down into weekly increments, thinking I need to lose 1 pound this week, is also easier for me than thinking I needed to lose 50 pounds! Ugg. I'm down almost 20 pounds so it can work at higher carb levels. Once you start stringing a few successes together you'll get your mojo back.
  • Jcamp8705
    Jcamp8705 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally strive for 60 net carbs a day otherwise I tend to get insomnia and hair loss with lower carb levels. I can't get full off veggies either so I really try to hit my fat and protein macros goals and I'll usually feel satisfied eating more of those. I feel your struggle and have felt the same too.
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to the whole going over my carbs limit and then giving up. I had the same issue, but then I began to realize that I can't cheat, cuz then I will be cheating myself. So I did some research on which diets will help me not crave carbs and that's when I found the "EGG FAST". I thought it was BS, but it states 3-5 days on it and you will loose almost ALL cravings for carbs... I said, WHAT? 3 days, I could definately do... And so I did!!!! If you want to see my progress, check out my blog... I AM 100% LEGIT AND THIS IS SO REAL!!!!
    BTW: I am a chubbster from birth so I have all the right to say that I have NEVER been slim, and I still have more to go, but I am definitely on my way!!!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It so is about finding what works best for "you". I did very strict keto 20 grams or less (total carbs) for over a year and found it very effective for me.

While some love intermittment fasting and feel like it has been the next step towards getting those last stubborn pounds off or keeping a consistent weight loss up I find that it just doesn't work for me.

And that's okay.....Keep trying every aspect of the lifestyle until you find the system that works best for you. But don't give up. We ALL know that never got us anywhere! :)