Bone Broth

Options
tammyfranks2
tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
does anyone make Bone Broth and if you do , how do you use it ?? and do you think it helps you?? is it only a keto thing ? or do low carb folks do it too?? I would make this if I really thought it will help to lose more weight !!

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We make bone broth almost every week. Got like about 6 cups of it going in the slow-cooker right now. :smiley: We can't stand just drinking the stuff or eating it like broth or soup though, so we use it as the base for our low-carb bbq sauce.

Dunno if it helps in weight-loss as such. If you do a lot of fasting it's a good way to keep electrolytes and some nutrients in your system. We just like the BBQ sauce with our meat and low-carb store-bought is rare and expensive. Making it at home is cheap and plentiful.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We make bone broth almost every week. Got like about 6 cups of it going in the slow-cooker right now. :smiley: We can't stand just drinking the stuff or eating it like broth or soup though, so we use it as the base for our low-carb bbq sauce.

Dunno if it helps in weight-loss as such. If you do a lot of fasting it's a good way to keep electrolytes and some nutrients in your system. We just like the BBQ sauce with our meat and low-carb store-bought is rare and expensive. Making it at home is cheap and plentiful.

Violet_Flux: any chance you would share the BBQ sauce recipe? Maybe the broth recipe too?
  • Violet_Flux
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sure! Here's our bone broth process:

We use pork shoulder roast, so after it's roasted and we've carved off as much meat as we can, the bone(s) and all the drippings, and anything else left over in the roasting pan (bits of celery, onion, seasoning, etc) all go into the slow cooker. To this we add about a tsp or so of salt, about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and the peel (skin and all) from an onion. Then top it up with water and let the slow cooker do its thing. We tend to leave it on 'low' for 48 hours, then on 'warm' for another 48 hours, to get the most out of the ingredients.

Then pour it through a colander, press out as much liquid as we can get, and discard the solid waste bits. That'll yield 4 to 6 cups of really good brown broth. TBH beef bones (like soup bones, or beef ribs, etc) make a better broth (and better BBQ sauce) IMHO, but we don't like eating beef and pork is cheaper. :smile:

So for our BBQ sauce, the base is the 4 to 6 cups of broth. This goes into a big pot on the stove, and to this we add: 1 can of tomato paste (10 tablespoons I think? 4 oz?) 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3/4 to 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, about 1 fluid ounce of 'liquid smoke' flavour, a couple tablespoons of 'Franks hot sauce' (any hot sauce will do, or no hot sauce, if you don't like heat), and then we add 'low cal' sweetener. 10 to 15 drops of liquid stevia, or about 1/4 cup of granulated stevia, or 10 to 15 'pouches' of the stuff we put in our tea. This is 'to taste' I guess. Gotta have something, BBQ sauce is sweet, but you can control how sweet you like it. Finally, optionally, we add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, and 1/2 tsp citric acid. We find the xanthan gum helps it to thicken, but this is optional. And the citric acid helps give it a little extra 'zing' but again, optional.

(we actually 'eyeball' everything except the xanthan gum and citric acid. Too much of either of those will mess it up so we measure those two.)

Once it's all combined, bring it up to a boil while stirring, then reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally, and just let it go till it's as thick as you like. We leave it half-covered, like with a lid ajar, cos we want the steam to boil off, or you can leave it uncovered. If you skip the xanthan gum, it'll take a bit longer to reduce and thicken, and your final yield will be a bit less I think. For us, it tends to simmer 30 to 45 minutes and we're happy.

This usually gives us a final yield of 3 to 4 cups of bbq sauce, and a generous 1/4 cup portion has like 18 calories and about 2 or so net carbs. Plus we like to think it's healthy for us cos of all the nutrients and stuff from the broth! :smiley: We then put this in a big container into the fridge and it's good for at least 2 weeks. (Maybe more, but we tend to use it a lot hehe.)

Oh also, the sauce will thicken up a bit more in the fridge, so if you don't want it like 'chunky', either stop simmering it a bit earlier than you think, or do what we do - zap it in the microwave before serving. Like we measure out a serving into a dish and then heat it up. Hot bbq sauce is the best! :sweat_smile:

Cheers!

p.s. It might sound like a lot, but it's really super simple. Like 10% throwing ingredients into a pot, and 90% waiting while it does its thing.
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    Thank You for that recipe it looks wonderful
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make bone broth in the crock pot, similar to whats above. I add all the veggies in the fridge that are about to go bad. Also celery tops and broccoli and cauliflower bottoms that won't get eaten. Lots of salt, and some spices, I freeze some since it goes bad in less than a week.

I use it for any recipe that calls for bullion, or sometimes even water. It adds a really nice flavor to foods, much better than the packaged stuff. Homemade 'gravy' is delicious poured over just about anything (butter, bullion, cream, spices). I don't drink it either, or at least rarely. I don't know if it helps to lose weight. Its just tasty and I know it also supplements gelatin for joint health.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Sans, vinegar, I've been making "bone broth" for years as did my mother and grandmother. I generally don't drink it but rather use it as a soup base. There is rarely a whole chicken or turkey cooked in my household that hasn't had the picked carcass thrown into a pot of water with vegetables, salt and a bay leaf (and maybe other herbs/spices) to make what we call "soup stock". I also save (freeze) congealed fat (from beef/chicken/turkey) to use versus butter for the roux of gravy.

I did read an article somewhere that pointed out the differences between base, stock, bone broth. It didn't make enough of an impact on me to remember the differences.

I doubt it has an impact on weight loss unless it is used as a substitute for something with more calories such as a cup of bone broth for lunch versus a couple of eggs and bacon but I've not researched it.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    You can also use uncooked bones, marrow bones are excellent and just cook for longer. This is my preference I have to say as I hate the smell of cooked bones recooking! Like when I joint a fresh chicken I throw the bones and the wings into a pot to make stock (bone broth!) It freezes really well.
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    well I got the stuff to make the bone broth , tomorrow I make LOL I did find chicken bone broth already made , I bought it too .
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Let us know how it goes, and if you enjoy it. :smile:
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    well @Violet_Flux it turned out amazing , still to hot to put in fridge , but got it covered sitting on stove , the bowl of beef bits dangggg so good me and hubby been picking at that , but I had a cup of broth with beef bots in it , and it was so good . when the bones are all cooled down I am cleaning off all the meat and putting it up for later too , My daughter who loves veggies , has eaten the carrot and parsnip and celery with a little butter and so loved it (only get one bowl of that out of it) I will make this like every 2 weeks or so , it has to help with the diet because I had one cup and some porkrinds and that whole meal was 1 carb and only 100 calories , (porkrinds were 80) and I am full . I bought the chicken bone broth , so if I add some cooked chicken to it , I bet it would be just as good . I say try this folks it was awesome !!! i followed this recipe

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Keto-Bone-Broth

this chick has a great blog as well . I have been reading it like for an hour now .