Back at it!

oceangirl99
oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
Last week was interesting. I was on a work trip, where food variety was really limited and I wasn't able to refrigerate my food all the time. So, I prepared by bringing a bag of almonds, a jar of almond butter (that I didn't touch), a brick of cheese, and a couple bags of pepperettes. That got me through some tough times..... and then there were a few times when I had NO choice, unless I went hungry. Spaghetti dinner..... ugh. Breakfasts of sugary yogurt and granola. The sad part is I felt like I was "cheating" and it wasn't even good cheats. No bag of chips, piece of chocolate cake, or french fries that I would like to cheat with. I managed to make the right choices every time I had one. I came home from my trip and tried a test strip..... not in ketosis. 2 days of keto eating again and sure enough my mouth has that gross feeling of ketosis again. My test strip shows small traces of ketones so I think I'm back on the right track. I am wondering how many carbs, or how often eating a meal with lots of carbs will kick me out of ketosis? I've been eating Keto for 1 month, 14 lbs down and proud of it.

Replies

• bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    I am wondering how many carbs, or how often eating a meal with lots of carbs will kick me out of ketosis?
    I'm no expert here, but I understand it varies from person to person, and is around the 80g mark. I have a blood glucose meter and can eat 60g and still be in (minor) ketosis the next morning. I lose more weight at the 20g mark.

Great job on the weight loss so far!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Once you are actually fat adapted, which is what we are generally trying to achieve through ketosis it is unlikely a few additional carbs will stop you being fat adapted which is what you are trying to achieve. It takes a while to become fat adapted. Also once you are and you are running on Ketones then you may not find them on any measure as you are using them to fuel your body and you may not have excess to measure. Check out a site called Nuit Nutrition for a lot of sensible information IMO.