Drink problem! Actually coffee/tea & the sugar in milk!!!

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
Right-ee-oh folks, I've a drink problem I think. Let me explain.

I'm starting the Diet Doctor Challenge tomorrow, and it seems I'm going to hit a dilemma with my liquid intake. Today I filled in all my foods to MFP and was shocked to see the amount of sugar in the milk that goes in my coffee & tea!

Nearly 100% of my liquid intake is instant coffee, or tea from teabags. Sometimes I drink herbal tea, but my preference is not that. Sometimes I drink a salt/pepper/herb mix, but only when I think I need the salt fix, not for the comfort the hot drink provides.

Suggestions please! I've just realised I probably drink 5 or 6 mugs of coffee/tea a day!! I know I "could" drink it without the milk, but I'll not lie, it will be difficult. Gulp! I've prepared so much for these other changes, that this one slipped me by.

Help!!

Oh yeah, and I know I should drink more plain water. I probably manage one glass of tap water a day.... shhhhhhhh....

Replies

• itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I missed the "white stuff" seriously when I started low carb. Heavy cream just didn't taste the same as half and half unless I used a 1/4 cup of it (yikes) so I drank coffee black hating every moment for months until I discovered coffeemate liquid tubs. They are zero carbs, only 10 calories ea and require no refrigeration. Honestly they actually taste ALOT like cream and I love them so it's been a real treat using them. Only problem is in Canada where I live I can only buy them at Staples through a business account (not sold in store) so when we order office supplies at work I pay cash to order them. A case of 180 costs $24. Annoys me that the big box stores and Costco doesn't sell them. Only downside is that there is 1g of transfat in each pod but nearly nothing I eat has transfat, so to me it's totally worth it to actually ENJOY coffee again.
  • danceandplay
    danceandplay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can get a box of 192 on Amazon.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    I might need to check these out. That or as you say cream. Hmmmm
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I now use half and half because of lower sugar than regular milk. I prefer Heavy Whipping Cream but McDonalds does not carry it and it is 2x the price of half and half at Walmart plus the calories from HWC stack up faster.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I use cream, you can cut it with some water to make it more like milk! (I don't!!) Also it's not the sugar you need to worry about, assuming you are just talking the natural sugars in milk but the carbs, that's where cream wins!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I typically drink my tea (hot and cold) with nothing added but I've been doing that since I was kid. I was drinking black coffee on vacation but it has to be really good coffee but for the most part I just drink coffee with half and half or Califia Farms unsweetened Better Half or unsweetened Toasted Coconut milk. The toasted coconut milk is one of the few nut based milks I can drink all on its own (its so good yet so hard to find). I've had to experiment to find decent coffee that suits my taste.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I use either heavy cream or light cream. Much less sugar and carbs than milk and I think they taste better in coffee.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Half and Half for me. HWC when I kept carbs to less than 20.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    I think it will have to be cream. I tried today to just skip milk, but that didn't end well and I added the milk anyway! I was over on the carbs today entirely because of the milk thing. :(
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @Salkeela ...Here is the easiest most convincing version of "low carb milk" you will ever encounter....

3/4 Cup Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk
    2 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream

Mix, pour into whatever you like and enjoy! You get the volume from the nut milk and the flavor from the fat in the HWC while still keeping the calorie count more manageable if that's important to you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've never used cashew milk in coffee, but it is the very best milk alternative for cooking in my opinion!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m with @ladipoet. I add unsweetened vanilla almond milk with a tablespoon of heavy cream to my coffee. Both add sweetness and a little creaminess.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    This morning I whizzed up a tsp of butter into my coffee. SURPRISINGLY GOOD!

Will try not to drink so many cups of coffee, but this will allow me my morning fix at least with out all the sugars in milk adding to my carb count. :)
  • heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know I'm supposed to stay away from sugar substitutes...but I just have to have my SF Coffeemate in my coffee everyday...no carbs, low calorie...I'm keepin it.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Last few weeks, I have started more often doing "bulletproof" coffee with 1 TBS each of butter and MCT oil (improves ketones, but doesn't add flavor) in a very large coffee mug. it's less convenient, because you need to blend it to emulsify the butter and make it taste "creamy". otherwise the oil/butter just floats on top and is a little weird.

It's not as convenient as cream, but the advantage to butter is that it's zero carb, where heavy cream still has 1 carb which will add up if you're trying to be very strict or drinking a lot.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use half and half and call it a day. Too much HWC messes my stomach up and I haven't been able to properly digest dairy mild in 20 years.
  • strichard94
    strichard94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Being British I really had to have milk in my tea, I use cream in coffee but not tea I read somewhere about Hemp milk I buy the sugar free and it’s really not too bad in tea have been on Keto for 6 months 32 lbs down on Keto 189 down in total
  • sas1uk
    sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know I'm supposed to stay away from sugar substitutes...but I just have to have my SF Coffeemate in my coffee everyday...no carbs, low calorie...I'm keepin it.

I think this is SO important if this WOE is to be sustainable. I started 4 years ago and have lost around 120 pounds without feeling the least bit 'deprived'!! Also a Brit, tea is drunk by the gallon....well not quite, but you get the picture!

I drink goat's milk in tea and unsweetened almond milk in coffee. I must drink 6 to 8 cups a day and I've STILL managed to lose. These are sugars I've got to keep and that's why I think LCHF has worked for me.

Just track it - and enjoy it! x
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »
    I missed the "white stuff" seriously when I started low carb. Heavy cream just didn't taste the same as half and half unless I used a 1/4 cup of it (yikes) so I drank coffee black hating every moment for months until I discovered coffeemate liquid tubs. They are zero carbs, only 10 calories ea and require no refrigeration. Honestly they actually taste ALOT like cream and I love them so it's been a real treat using them. Only problem is in Canada where I live I can only buy them at Staples through a business account (not sold in store) so when we order office supplies at work I pay cash to order them. A case of 180 costs $24. Annoys me that the big box stores and Costco doesn't sell them. Only downside is that there is 1g of transfat in each pod but nearly nothing I eat has transfat, so to me it's totally worth it to actually ENJOY coffee again.

A gram? Seriously?

If there's anything that's been firmly and consistently linked to health issues, it's trans fat (particularly artificial trans fats). I'll take a couple of grams of even the worst sugar over just about any amount of trans fat any day.

I'd double check that and the ingredients if I were you. If each has 1g of trans fat and even if you only have one per cup, that's as many grams as cups you're drinking. For the OP, that'd be 6g of trans fats per day, every day.