What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Here's where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• sweetcc1
    sweetcc1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

400g tinned chickpeas in water, rinsed and drained
    1 small onion, peeled
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    Wholemeal breadcrumbs (from 1 slice of bread)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tbsp olive oil

To serve:
    4 large wholemeal pitta breads
    A few lettuce leaves
    2 medium tomatoes, sliced
    ¼ cucumber, sliced
    4 tbsp zero-fat Greek-style yoghurt
    Nutritional information

Method:
    Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and chop finely.

If you don't have a food processor, you can still make this recipe. Use a hand blender, or mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher.

Add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, cumin, coriander, parsley and olive oil, and mix for a bit longer.

Make leftover bread into breadcrumbs and store in the freezer.

Shape into 16 balls and place on a greased or lined baking tray. Chill for 30 minutes.

Place tray into a preheated oven (200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6) and bake for about 25 minutes, turning the falafel to prevent sticking.

To assemble, fill each pitta with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and cucumber, falafel and some yoghurt.

Warming the pittas in a toaster or under the grill makes them easier to split and fill. The falafel can also be served warm with couscous and vegetables.

-Found on change4life
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Went to the doctor today (due to a physical job I need to get booked off for rest so my badly sprained ankle will heal) and she was super impressed with my resting heart rate (it was in low 40s)

Plus I discovered that my gym is running a free 4 week strength and endurance challenge starting on Monday. Group sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with optional sessions on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I'm definitely out for the Saturday sessions as I have Jiu Jitsu at the same time and my focus is always Jiu Jitsu. Awesome prep for the competition on 7 July though.
  • lionessNV
    lionessNV Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Waiting. . . waiting. . . and more waiting. Ordered a Fitbit Charge HR off eBay last week - I tried the Charge2 and hated it. Anyway, Ebay says it won't be here until tomorrow, USPS says "it's in transit to next facility" as of this morning and that it should be here by 8:00. I just want to know how the package skipped me :s (rhetorical question). It went from L.A. to St. Paul and I'm in NV.
  • MJsStory
    MJsStory Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    lionessNV wrote: »
    Waiting. . . waiting. . . and more waiting. Ordered a Fitbit Charge HR off eBay last week - I tried the Charge2 and hated it. [\quote]

Why did you hate the charge 2?
  • lionessNV
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @MJsStory - it was too complicated as far as the programed workouts (run, interval training, etc.). Half the time I was missing the correct workout because of timing/equipment response issues. I find it easier just to push the button on the side of the HR and figure out the appropriate workout when I'm done.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    One day I am going to do this lol. I keep having a go but never making it so I'm hoping that this time will be different :-)
  • kahlan84
    kahlan84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Practicing my daily log in lol. I have no AC right now so I'm pretty miserable and it is very tempting to reach for some ice cream.
  • Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kahlan84 wrote: »
    Practicing my daily log in lol. I have no AC right now so I'm pretty miserable and it is very tempting to reach for some ice cream.

OMG!! Ice cream sounds sooooo good right now. The ONLY reason I'm not eating any right now is that I would have to go to the store and get some...
  • lionessNV
    Options
    kahlan84 wrote: »

Wasn't really thinking about ice cream until I read your post. Now I want some (and don't have any).
  • Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Y'all, Alberto is messing my week all up! 2 mornings in a row, my 9 month old baby and I have been unable to go for our usual walk. Now he's cranky because he enjoys them so much, and I'm restless. Now that it's dried up a bit, I really aught to be out there walking. Instead, since Alberto kept me up all night and I only got 2 hours of sleep, I'm laying in a bubble bath....

If only I could guarantee a walk tomorrow, but alas, I must venture to the dreaded dentist for a filling during what would normally be my walk time.
  • MJsStory
    Options
    lionessNV wrote: »
    @MJsStory - it was too complicated as far as the programed workouts (run, interval training, etc.). Half the time I was missing the correct workout because of timing/equipment response issues. I find it easier just to push the button on the side of the HR and figure out the appropriate workout when I'm done.

I gave up trying to use that function and just use it for alarms, steps, and text messages when I’m away from my phone. I have noticed that if I am carrying something or pushing a wheelchair my steps don’t count.

I’m a staffing coordinator for a nursing facility. May Day is spent delivering documents to be signed, processing those documents, and then delivering them to the front for filing with headquarters. When I’m not chasing down and employee for a signature then I am assisting residents getting from here to there. It’s pretty frustrating as I know I walk at least double what it records.

For example, the other day I counted how many flights of stairs I did in a day. We have 1 elevator down and the other is beyond slow so I only use it if I have to. Fitbit says I did 11 flights of stairs, I recorded 25.

• memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I gave up trying to use that function and just use it for alarms, steps, and text messages when I’m away from my phone. I have noticed that if I am carrying something or pushing a wheelchair my steps don’t count.

[/quote]

I started wearing mine around my ankle inside my sock because I’m usually carrying stuff or pushing a stroller or grocery cart. My daughter ordered an ankle strap for hers off Amazon.
  • Stardust620
    Stardust620 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm other people have suggested this in previous challenges, but I've decided to pick out an "award" to give myself if/when I get into the winner's circle. I think this could be helpful for some, especially when motivation & determination start to wane. Make it something specific and realistic. For example, not just "a nice dinner out" but "dinner at XYZ restaurant where I will order XYZ meal and wear XYZ outfit." Personally, I'm going to reward myself with a specific item on Poshmark that I've been eyeing for a long time. Just a thought, hope it helps you all!
  • hititskip
    hititskip Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey does anyone know if we have to log exercise? For today it's fine because I did weights but there are a lot of days where I will be doing long walks as my exercise. My fitbit is connected to MFP and I'm concerned that if I also enter the exercise it's going to count the calories twice. Or does anyone know how to prevent this?
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you need to account for it in whatever way you feel works for you best.
    For example, my calorie budget is not changed by exercise because I take that into account when planning, so I'm not too worried about recording my exercise (but for me getting exercise in is easy because I train a sport I love.) I need to focus on choosing healthy food because that's my weak area, so logging all the food I eat keeps me accountable. If I say I logged it all but I didn't, I'm only cheating myself.

If you work with a calorie budget that changes with your exercise calories and it is synced to a device which links, I'm sure that meets the spirit of the challenge.
  • memere101
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon, or evening...depending on where you are :wink: I hope everyone had a great first day yesterday.
    Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?
  • MJsStory
    Options
    @acaliforniadreamer.... I log all my exercises as my doctor looks at my app when I go in for checkups. He is looking at macros and minutes of exercise and then compares it to my lab work. As he says “I like being difficult” as he often gets false positive test results for me. Being able to see what I am doing and comparing it to the blood work gives him more accurate information on how to adjust my medications.

I take one of the kids or my husband with me on all my walks. I take off my Fitbit for these and I have them track instead. As soon as I’m done my Fitbit goes back on. This allows me to more accurately track (I think) so I long my active waking minutes and then my Fitbit does its own thing.

I know it miscounts my steps at work and misses about 50% as it will not track if you are carrying or pushing something. I usually mentally add 40% to my step count for a more accurate reading.

I need to switch to a pedometer on my shoes and then buy a watch of some kind to wear instead of my Fitbit. Still deciding on what I want so keeping with my Fitbit till it dies.
  • MJsStory
    Options
    @memere101

My plans for the day are:
    1) 2 mike walk on the river front
    2) Football... playing catch with my son and then he will practice punting and I will be chasing down the ball and returning it. This usually ends up in an all out full contact weird sort of tag game with all 3 boys.
    3) Tearing apart the master bedroom. Cleaning everything while trying to find the spider that bite me. Putting it all back together again and getting rid of things not needed and taking them to goodwill.

What are your plans?
  • hititskip
    hititskip Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Dory_42 Yeah that makes sense. My main concern is that it does adjust my calories based on my fitbit. I don't want to count more calories exercised than I've earned. Logging food is no problem but I feel like double counting the exercise would be cheating lol.
  • memere101
    Options
    @MJsStory sounds like a very busy, productive, and fun (other than the cleaning and looking for a spider part) day! I’m exhausted...been on baby duty so the others can sleep...now I need a nap!