I'm not sure ...

Options
Hello,
I've started on the bariatric surgery track in the UK. I've been approved for surgery by the clinician, dietician and psychologist.
But I'm still not sure that this is right for me.
I used to be naturally skinny when I was young and then started piling on the lbs in my 20s.
At the beginning of the year (2018) I was 230kg. I have diabetes (Type 2 - surprise, surprise), sleep apnoea, severe liver fibrosis, hypothyroidism, depression, anxiety ... (you get the idea - if I was a horse, they'd shoot me!)
When I weighed this morning I was 114.4kg. This is partly due to a new medication that I was put on for my diabetes.
I'm currently trying the slimfast diet with small adjustments to make it below 1000 cal/day. Only 2 days in so don't know if it works yet.
My plan is to stick to this for 8-9 weeks and then to start introducing more meals based on Slimming World guidelines.
If I manage to get my weight down enough will I be kicked off the bariatric surgery programme?
My main problem with the surgery is that I don't want to HAVE to eat like that for the rest of my life. I want to be able to have a nice meal (ie: pig out) occasionally.
What are your thoughts? Would you go through with the surgery anyway?

Replies

• LGLAustin
    LGLAustin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nettie - Having the surgery doesn't mean you can never have foods you like. You just learn to limit them to small nibbles. It's true, "You'll never be able to Pig Out" but that's a good thing. It is a live change but you have to be ready for that. Giving up sweets and beer was really hard but now i'm 3 months out and I don't miss them. I can pass by them by. I still go out to eat with family and friends and order "smart" foods. Something that we should all be doing anyway.
    Good luck with any decision you make. I'm glad I went with my Gastric Sleeve. No regrets. I wouldn't go through with the surgery if you are still not ready to make the changes.
  • NettieBess0218
    NettieBess0218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have heard that the surgery changes your view of food and you don't crave so much. I'm still waiting to get on the sessions for preparing for the surgery so I'll see how that goes. I have to lose the weight so if surgery is the only way to go then that's where I'll have to go!
  • hotgropp
    hotgropp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm about six months out now, and I can tell you I still have a chubby-person brain. I still want pizza and donuts. But. I am also MUCH more mindful about what I'm eating. I also still do eat small pieces of foods I really want. The focus for me has been threefold: 1. stay hydrated (easier than I feared it would be post-op), 2. stay active (also easier with a chunk of weight off, and more fun) and 3. hit protein targets. ALL of this becomes much easier with practice. Your new normal will take work, whatever route you choose, but I have to say I've really benefited from the early losses, and the renewed sense that the weight issues are something that will actually end.

I had also not been super heavy for super long; I gained 70 lbs in a year about 8 years ago, from a course of medication, and that weight brought on more metabolism changes and then more weight. Prior to that, I'd been a little chubby, but like never like this. All that to say, I don't care how it came on, I just needed it off ASAP to prevent more health issues, and to move on with my life, you know?

Living/eating around the sleeve is the least of my worries these days. It's not for everyone, but I'm very happy with my choice.