Impending Shark Week Cravings

Options
theuber85
theuber85 Posts: 21 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
Hello everyone!

I am a PCOSer hoping to get my weight under control with keto. I tried keto for the first time in February (with my boyfriend leading us) and he insisted we start the week before "The Bloodening". The week before everything starts I always have the worst cravings and insatiable hunger. I did well my first 2 months on keto, but allowed myself to backslide during the week before the main event because of stress and not wanting to feel like I was starving myself to death.

We fell off the wagon in April because of a funeral and a wedding, but we are now getting back into it. Thankfully, I just finished the week of terror before we started. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice to help make sure my cravings and hunger don't throw me off track in 3 weeks would be so much appreciated!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    More salt usually helps me...and strong teas like licorice or or spiced.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Go a little heavier on fat in general. If you want to nibble on something, focus on foods that are keto-friendly so you don't knock yourself out of ketosis. And do other things to pamper yourself that are not food related. Workout (I am a BEAST in the gym when I am PMSing) and get a pedicure, watch Netflix, hang with friends. Try to remove food as an option for comfort.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I personally find that if I really want to suppress cravings to within an inch of their miserable lives, I do best going full-on carnivore keto for 3 days.
  • theuber85
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I personally find that if I really want to suppress cravings to within an inch of their miserable lives, I do best going full-on carnivore keto for 3 days.

That sounds amazing!
    Go a little heavier on fat in general. If you want to nibble on something, focus on foods that are keto-friendly so you don't knock yourself out of ketosis. And do other things to pamper yourself that are not food related. Workout (I am a BEAST in the gym when I am PMSing) and get a pedicure, watch Netflix, hang with friends. Try to remove food as an option for comfort.

I will definitely try the workouts. Possibly while walking the dogs more frequently too. Maybe focusing on them will get my mind off of it. Lol!
    More salt usually helps me...and strong teas like licorice or or spiced.

I never thought about using strong flavored teas. I'll have to get some. Thank you all! I appreciate the advice so so much!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My favorite coping technique is loud, angry rock music. This is for any type of stress, frustration, anger, sadness, boredom, etc. :) Particularly, my current "starting" song is "The Sound of Madness" by Shinedown. I have many others on this list...but that's nearly always where I start.

That, and, once bloating and cramps set in, wear as tight of clothing as you can handle. While it feels uncomfortable at first, it actually compresses the area, allowing for less intense cramps (insert-able type products help this "compression" from the inside, too)...
  • theuber85
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My favorite coping technique is loud, angry rock music. This is for any type of stress, frustration, anger, sadness, boredom, etc. :) Particularly, my current "starting" song is "The Sound of Madness" by Shinedown. I have many others on this list...but that's nearly always where I start.

That, and, once bloating and cramps set in, wear as tight of clothing as you can handle. While it feels uncomfortable at first, it actually compresses the area, allowing for less intense cramps (insert-able type products help this "compression" from the inside, too)...

Five Finger Death Punch is my go to. LOL Especially when working out!