Drinking alcohol after bariatric surgery

Options
ladybug2659
ladybug2659 Posts: 91 Member
OBESITY IS OFTEN AN OUTWARD SYMPTOM OF SOMETHING DEEPER; WHEN PAIRED WITH ALCOHOL BEING ABSORBED AT NEARLY FULL PROOF YOU’VE GOT AN OMINOUS COMBINATION OF CIRCUMSTANCES. That being said, what are the rules of the road after bariatric surgery? Well, you have probably had this discussion with your nutritionist as well as your doctor — you may have looked up recommendations on the Internet. We have heard about alcohol’s empty calories, we know the liver is working overtime during the rapid weight loss phase, you may already know that someone addicted to food can transfer that addiction to alcohol after bariatric surgery. But, what is realistic? What are your thoughts, experiences—inquiring minds ant to know.

Replies

• ladybug2659
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Almost 3 months out, had my first grey goose dirty martini with three small blue cheese olives..... delightful sip.... just ONE. Took me 45 min of small sips.... quick buzz (my husband was designated driver) and my pouch was better than fine—relaxed and no nausea. Tried RED wine on Easter Sunday (I don’t particularly like reds) and I just don’t have the taste buds for it... it tasted like vinegar to me and it wasn’t a cheap low end bottle. My weakness is an ice cold Chardonnay..... with a fabulous cheese. But, I have to be careful or I can polish off the whole bottle over the course of the night. Drinking is a big deal for some people when considering bariatric surgery, it’s one of the most frequent subjects at support meetings. I don’t really have any cravings of any of kind but I will say this.... certain odors or smells make me feel sick. Walked through the food court at the mall today.... sickening sweet smell of Cinnabon made me get out quick.... even my sense of smell is different.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Your prior experiences with alcohol are no longer valid as things change with your bariatric surgery. Without a handbag sized stomach for digestion, the cocktail dribbles directly into the small intestine and is sucked into the bloodstream at almost full proof. You can get deliriously sloppy and dangerously drunk in seconds. With RNY surgery you can additionally become ill from sugar as specialty cocktails can easily contain 50 grams of sugar.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    If you are going to drink booze..... drink slow, drink responsibly and expect the unexpected.

1. Most doctors recommend a year before drinking. Why? Your stomach is healing, your liver is working furiously during rapid weight loss and let’s face it.... empty calories.
    2. Many people will wait 4-6 months before having a drink especially when there is a special event or Holiday,
    3. Stay away from wine and beer.... if you drink have a vodka martini, vodka and diet tonic water (dilute the carbonation w/water and add lemon or lime).
    4. Stay away from juices. However, organic Bloody Mary mix is good and you can chew on your celery stick garnish....
    5. Do NOT drive. Expect cheap drunk syndrome... 2 drinks and you may blow a DUI so DO NOT DRIVE...
    6. You WILL dehydrate faster....keep sipping WATER (add electrolyte drops which you can keep in your purse).
    7. Faux Margarita Anyone? Chic-Fil-A DIET Lemonade (buy a gallon). Add a SPASH only of your fav tequila, triple sec, lime (Skinny Girl is okay but I want the taste of a 600 calorie margarita in a jumbo margarita glass with lots of ice. The diet lemonade is 70 calories, again.... just a splash of tequila and triple sec....
    8. I like the Chic-Fil-A Diet Lemonade with a splash of great bourbon... hard lemonade that’s refreshing....

Share your tips.... inquiring minds want to know....
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Couple observations/considerations. I came across an interesting comment regarding drinking acidic based alcohol such as wine after gastric sleeve. The persons on the thread were saying that after just one or two glasses of wine, the next morning they awoke with sore throats, swollen glands in their neck, even their ears (tubes) felt like they were raw or burning. Finally, a Doctor commented that this happens if you drink on an empty stomach and typically drink in the evening and/or lay down or go to bed for the night. This can cause mild to rather severe reflux that causes inflammation. I just thought it was interesting as so many people made the same claim. Another woman said she enjoyed a cocktail from Time to Time but after losing 60 or more lbs she drank at a special event and got so drunk off two drinks they had to put her to bed. She had no recollection. The less fat on her body made for quick entry into her bloodstream.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Okay. So I bought three flavors of the Be Mixed zero calorie zero sugar cocktail mixers. All Natural Ginger Lime. Made a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred. Look, if you love a strong ginger taste with a pop of lime it’s okay. It’s sweetened with Stevia and is loaded with fresh ginger so you must shake this up. The colder the better. So here’s the thing, if you love sushi this cold concoction goes well with the fish, crab, avacado, veggies. It works well together. One last thing, if you suffer from nausea it would seem that the ginger (ok... maybe the vodka too) settled my stomach. Do you grapple with nausea even 7 months out? Anyway, I give this flavor a 6 out of ten—mostly cuz it’s all natural, sweetened with Stevia. Honestly tho... I can make this myself from scratch. Nice to have on hand in the bar. xhvlr7yo2o5a.jpeg