Anyone with Hypothyroidism doing LCHF or Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also hypothyroid here and keto. Since medicating properly, tweaking my diet and regular exercise I hit my goal weight of 145 finally in August, now I'm just maintaining and toning up. Currently on 1 grain Nature Throid NDT, vitamin d and iron.
  • abbyweaver1975
    abbyweaver1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's as well. I take armour and have just started LCHF approximately a month ago. Combined with exercise I have lost 14 pounds in a month and feel so much better. I don't if it works for everyone but it seems to be working for me as of right now. Also, you'll never know till you try. Mama always told me to turn your nose at something until you try it. LOL
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Update to update....April test - not so good. Major stressors since early Dec caused my TSH to take a big leap as well as my TPO antibodies. I have been testing my temperature as well as keeping track of energy levels etc and definitely downhill. I have now been on 30 mg of dessicated thyroid for a couple weeks. I will re-evaluate how I am feeling in another couple of weeks, then get retested to see how things are going. I will say that at least I'm not freakin' freezing at 1 whole degree below normal body temperature while wearing hoodies and fleece pants in 25C weather anymore. I can even feel comfortable in just sox & a t-shirt overnight under a blanket and quilt instead of having to wear full sweats plus a neck scarf under the blankies.
  • abbyweaver1975
    abbyweaver1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh , I have been taking armor for years and it took them a little while to get me regulated but when they did it made a world of difference. Hopefully, you will continue to feel better as time goes on.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Update to update....April test - not so good. Major stressors since early Dec caused my TSH to take a big leap as well as my TPO antibodies. I have been testing my temperature as well as keeping track of energy levels etc and definitely downhill. I have now been on 30 mg of dessicated thyroid for a couple weeks. I will re-evaluate how I am feeling in another couple of weeks, then get retested to see how things are going. I will say that at least I'm not freakin' freezing at 1 whole degree below normal body temperature while wearing hoodies and fleece pants in 25C weather anymore. I can even feel comfortable in just sox & a t-shirt overnight under a blanket and quilt instead of having to wear full sweats plus a neck scarf under the blankies.

Bummer. :(

I find on NDT, it is often best to go by how you feel rather than the tests. My tests are pretty outrageous looking while I take it. My TSH was last a 0.02. LOL But I feel great! And my free T3 and free T4 are both close to the upper third of the normal range.

When going by how I feel, my temperature goes up ( I actually break 98F sometimes ;) but I feel cold more often now because the cold is more noticeable than when I was 96F), I lose the fish scales on my legs and my eyebrow skin stops flaking, my hair gets better, and I do have more energy. I find within a couple of days of changing a dose, I either felt good or bad - I once went a bit hyper but we cut my dose and it was fixed in a day.

I take 180 mcg a day. Funny thing is, my TPO Ab has never quite been abnormal. I think I started my meds after the autoimmune attack was about done, which probably made it easier to medicate me than it is for you - I had no fluctuations.

I really hope you get the right dose soon. Thyroid (NDT) was almost magical when I got the dose right - I hope you get that too.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    We mainly went with meds because of how I was feeling and not so much the numbers - but the numbers in my case showed what was happening to my body. It's nice feeling a bit warmer for a change.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    We mainly went with meds because of how I was feeling and not so much the numbers - but the numbers in my case showed what was happening to my body. It's nice feeling a bit warmer for a change.

Good to hear. Not many doctors will go that route.

Course it's summer now... You may not want to feel the heat. ;) JK
  • canadjineh
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Oh no @nvmomketo..... for me - I'd probably be happy in Arizona in August ;)
    I even looked forward to hot flashes lol.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Oh no @nvmomketo..... for me - I'd probably be happy in Arizona in August ;)
    I even looked forward to hot flashes lol.

Oh no no! I'm starting into hot flashes. One hit as I dried my hair this morning. I almost had to take another shower. I turned my drier to cold and stood there drying sweat for 5 minutes. Yuck! :D and it was only around 20C.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    My hot flashes weren't all that bad.... mainly just a short one when I awoke - and any later in the day just meant I could unzip my hoodie in the house for a couple minutes. hahaha
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :D
  • redoux33
    redoux33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    @bowlerae - I have hypothryoidism, too. It works for me and I think, but cannot be sure, that this WOE is the reason why I've had to reduce my level of Synthroid. This is odd because my thyroid is failing due to a bout of thyroiditis about15 years ago. They said once it started to fail, I would need increasing amounts of medication over time and that was what was happening until I started eating LCHF - mostly at Keto levels - this past spring. I started getting hyper symptoms and my TSH did show a big drop.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about 22 years ago and was told the same thing, that I would need increasing amount. But once it was regulated after the first year the dosage has never changed. I have been doing keto for 6 weeks. It will be interesting to see what my blood work looks like when I have it done again in April. I have not had any hyper symptoms but last year my doc said she wanted to keep an eye on it because she might want to decrease my dose, which really surprised me.