Quick wild foods ...

Options
touchdry
touchdry Posts: 32 Member
... you do not even have to go to the shops ... just go to somewhere green (preferably your own garden - if you have one!). Here in France there are loads of healthy greens ... just about everywhere.

So, not meaning to sound paleo but are there any ketoers who eat wild food along with the local farm produce ... ?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Yeah, some of us do. In addition to some of the greens, wild berries and nuts can be found in the wild depending on where you live.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I live in a somewhat urban area in an neighborhood that has fairly rigid Covenants (rules) but my patient husband somehow managed to get my raised bed garden approved by our homeowners association.

Thus far this year I've enjoyed kale, spinach, beets, radishes, peas and carrots. My "summer crops" were planted a bit late and we've had far too much rain but in a month or two+ I should have plenty of peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, pole beans, bush beans, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, cantaloupe and watermelon. Lots of common herbs too (thyme, rosemary, chives, basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley).

I'm not strict keto anymore. I eat my homegrown vegetables. :) What we can't eat, we give to a couple different neighbors. My carb cutting comes mostly from not eating sweets and "starchy stuff" like rice and pasta.

This is my 1st year for watermelon. I've avoided it in the past because of reading that it takes up so much garden space and my space is limited to about 100 square feet. I trellis cucumbers and cantaloupes but big watermelons may be a bit much though I have certainly seen it done with slings and livestock panels. Maybe 2019.

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    we have a local farmers market every saturday morning and I use to always go and buy farm eggs , potatoes , corn on the cob and yellow squash , and water melon , and except for the eggs I am not to eat the other stuff to many carbs .LOL. There is a guy there ,him and his partner make the best home made bread and jams , yep can not eat that !! so I have been staying away from the market .....maybe I need to go this week and at lease get the farm eggs and some good cheese . oh well .
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wild produce is hard here. I do have a small garden with lettuce producing, tomatoes, peas, raspberries later in summer. Wild onions, glacier lilies, columbine, berries when I can find them. Friends give us some elk and deer though!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    We just find a bit like wild saskatoons down by the river, or stawberries in the mountains (but then I worry about bears LOL). We'll collect a few dandelion leaves too, and I've used some juniper berries but that's it. The rest is from the store or my garden.

Meat is usually from the store, a family member's farm, or from hunting.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I usually just pick interesting things to add to my salads like fireweed bud tips when hiking in the mountains, or wild rose petals and violets. I have absolutely no idea how many carbs they are but since I'm not cooking up a pot of them I hardly think it matters <3