Living The Lifestyle, Thursday, June 7, 2018

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don’t) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. “ It’s a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for June are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - calvin2008brian (Brian)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -88olds (George)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Tracking

What’s your experience with tracking? Is there anyone here who has never tried it? Anyone who has been able to keep their tracking going but consistently over their number?

And the biggest question in weight loss, I think, do you start out determined to track, but have the process slip away somehow? How did that happen? Have you ever quit tracking just to keep from writing down a mistake or lapse? Why?

Replies

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I've tracked since Day 1. I believe it has had both direct and indirect benefits related to my weight management objectives.

Tracking forced me to be more aware of what I was eating--what tradeoffs I was making. I joined WW on the Points Plus program where everything was weighted equally. Most fruits and veggies were 0, but there was a price for everything else. I found the phone app quite workable most of the time so the act of tracking really has not been an inconvenience. Still, having to log my food slows me down enough to have to think about what I'm eating and start making my tradeoffs right away. But that's OK--just the "price of participation". I credit GOAD (again) with informing me that "weight loss happens in the kitchen." Eating less was the crux of getting to my goal weight. Tracking helps keep me mindful of that reality.

On advice of GOAD, I didn't stop doing what I was doing after I reached my goal weight in September of 2015. So I didn't ring the bell and I didn't go back to my old ways. I still track and it still works for me. While most of the time I do follow the "Red, Yellow, Green" zones that @steve0mania mentioned in yesterday's LTL. I've had a couple slips. Twice since reaching Lifetime, I've had to pay for meetings because I was over my target weight. It wasn't the end of the world--just a reality check that helped me quickly get back where I want to be.

I did have a recent experience where I wasn't tracking as diligently last month. However, I guess I managed to pretty much stay the course as I ended up losing a few pounds. It's tempting to think "I've got this" but I think tracking is a more viable way for me to maintain. I have tremendous respect for those who venture out on their own but then come back having gained the weight back. Not enough to want to join 'em though.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Many times when I would be struggling to find the motivation to get started to lose weight I would just stop tracking once the calorie total went well over my budget. Why? I was shocked and embarrassed that I could consume so much and not have it feel like anything. Especially when the budget was shot by lunchtime. Obviously that was a counterproductive move.

I have tracked every single day for the past 7 years. I finally made the commitment to myself that I would track everything, the good, the bad, and the truly ugly. And I have had several truly ugly days over the past 7 years. But not nearly as many as I did in my morbidly obese days. I weigh and measure as much as is practical. Otherwise I just use my best guesstimates. I'm still under WW goal so my estimation must be good enough.

Too many large weight regains over my life have proven to me that I will never "have this". I have to stay diligent every single day. Kudos to those who are able to maintain via intuitive eating.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,975 Member
    Options
    I only track when I want to lose weight.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with @Al_Howard. With rare exceptions, when I track I lose. Last week is a good example. I was way over my allotted points (I think I finished something like -60 on weeklies!), but still kept at my tracking every day. I ended the week with a small loss. My feeling is that even though I was over budget, keeping tabs on it all helped me avoid truly losing control (and losing interest, and having it carry over into the next week ...).
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking for a time after I made life-time thinking I could do it on my own. I did get back to tracking good or bad and a lot of times over my budget. I still track today. As for weight loss that has been a challenge but I believe I am finally finding a balance. I track because I need accountability.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,962 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot about my tracking process since rejoining WW this year.

Way back when, when I first joined WW, I tracked diligently. I was incredibly careful to figure out points for everything I ate, not only at home where it's easier to calculate points, but also for items that I would eat out. I made reasonable guesses as to caloric contents, and/or ingredients, and sometimes just made a rough estimate of the points themselves. The whole process worked well, I lost weight, and made lifetime.

I continued to track for a year or so, then realized I was eating mostly the same stuff every day, so I transitioned to "SFT" and then ultimately intuitive maintenance. My weight has always been below goal, but it has drifted up by 10-15 pounds over my personal goal weight. I had given up on tracking because I found it repetitive, boring, and didn't add value to simply paying attention to my weight and working to adjust my intake based on weight.

Now since restarting WW, I've gone back to tracking. Tracking certainly works. It works even better if you can stay within your point allotments.

BUT, I am finding the new program very challenging to stay within my allotted points. There is a real penalty for eating "imperfectly," to the point where I think I'm well over 100 points in the negative this week (I was away on travel, had some drinks, some fries, etc.).

In the old system, points were more proportional to calories, so I found it easier to mark down the points, shrug my shoulders, and "restart" with the next meal.

However, with the new system, I am experiencing a psychological response that I never had before: throwing myself down the rest of the stairs!

Once I've blown through my points, and gone pretty deeply into the red, I have been getting a case of the "oh well, this week is a bust so I might as well pile it on and start fresh next week."

That was never an issue for me before, because it seems things were less penalized for poor choices. Thus, it was easier, conceptually for me, to start over with each meal and always to try to make the better choice.

So, to the original question for the LTL thread, by the end of the week I often mentally disengage from tracking, because once you're so far down in the points pit, it's very disheartening!
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Steve I don't think you could have put it in better words. I am trying to stick with the smart pts. program. It is also for me very challenging and restrictive.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That’s it Steve, that’s the part I want to get, the throwing ourselves down the rest of the stairs.

Just to answer my questions, I tracked for 5 years after making Lifetime. Then I think they started Points Plus and I couldn’t deal with all the changes. So I did intuitive until I started creeping up but going back to tracking worked. Did that twice. Now I’m comfortably in my new lower weight yellow zone. Not tracking.

But I’ve been to 100s Of WW meetings and every week- “I was ok until Tuesday when my sister showed up with brownies and I ate 3. So I threw myself down the rest of the stairs.”
    If we knew how to break that link we could write a book and go on the GoaDie book tour. What fun.

From what I hear, I couldn’t do the new program. My best trick was to award myself extra WPA when backed into a corner. 5-7 extra for the week really did a lot and didn’t hinder my losses much. Don’t know if that strategy would get me much now.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,975 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @steve0mania re: Negative numbers.
    After the weekend (all 3 days, incliding Friday, as that's weigh-in day)I'm usually deep in the negative, due to neumerous pints of beer. To keep my sanity (if not my losing mode) I "eat my APs". Not really the best method, but...
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's all in my head, but one way I help to NOT throw myself down the stairs is to follow my leader's advice when she says to track it all--the good, the bad and the ugly. Once I've tracked an "over" meal (maybe even grossly over), I chalk it up to 'one done; onward and downward'. The tracking--as out of points as it may be--helps me start fresh with the next meal, guilt-free and still able to adhere to my plan.

With SP, things are weighted / penalized for sugar, carbs, etc. For several months after the plan was rolled out, I read of so many people who went to it kicking and screaming, BUT they finally lost the weight that had eluded them for a long time. Many went on to say (in retrospect) they hated the plan, but they realized they really needed to cut back on the sugars and carbs and SP helped them do it. They didn't like the process but they conceded the result was worth it.

To me, that's what this whole thing boils down to: a series of tradeoffs--the proverbial "NO FREE LUNCH". As we have said on GOAD for a long time: "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard." There are definitely times I miss my old carefree, all-you-can-eat-or-drink-at-every-meal ways. But for the most part, I prefer the benefits that come with weight loss. My "mantra" has come to be "Life's better in a smaller body, even on my worst day." and it's true. So I choose to keep going on this routine. I don't do it for the scale. I do it to enjoy the corollary to @88olds 's saying. As I lost weight, my world got bigger (instead of the other way around).
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    So my experience with tracking over the last 12 years as a WW member is that if I do it, it actually works! Who would have thought that to be true!
    In spite of that I am at best spotty about it. I do a meeting on Sat. mornings and come out motivated and a tracking mainiac. By Monday pr Tuesday my enthusiasm starts to wane and I start "air tracking". If I have a truly bad ugly day then I typically shut it down just because I don't want to face the truth. In spite of never having attained my goal or lifetime status I am down by 55 - 60 pounds and continue to go to meetings. I accepted that I don't seem to be able to do this all on my own a long time ago, so its just a commitment I have had to make to myself.
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I rejoined WW this year and tracked fairly well however couldn't get in to the SP program even though I did lose some weight. I switched to tracking at MFP with a focus on the macros (ie: % of protien, fat & carbs) and found it to be easier and a good fit, right now. However, if MFP gets stale, I will jump back to WW because tracking is the best way for me to knock off the pounds and get healthy.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I realize I’m late to the party, but...

I tracked diligently during weight loss then for some months following achieving goal. I then started a more intermittent tracking process- first to keep myself in the ‘mindset’ of tracking, then when I’d notice some not so ‘better choice’ eating behaviors (with or without weight gain) and when there were changes in the program. And, anytime I’d notice my weight creeping up. And, gosh darn it, tracking works. When you do it.

That said, I’d agree the new program has moved considerably further away from calorie tracking. It is much more prescriptive. It also doesn’t require me to think as much about the volume of what I’m eating. And, yes, you can go overboard on chicken breasts and bananas. So it’s very punishing for ‘naughty’ foods and overly rewards ‘good’ foods.

Long term maintenance facilitates learning about the relative caloric values of food. So you know pretty well what foods allow more volume/mass for a set amount of calories. So, now, when I do track, I just use the MFP tracker. Because I already know what the better choices are. And, without all the ‘naughty tax’ that the current WW program applies for that apple fritter, the calorie hit is punishment enough.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I tracked diligently for awhile when I first joined WW back in 2011. Once I lost enough weight tp not "feel the pain of being TOO fat," I slacked off for a time but would resume when I was ready to lose again. That's why it took me 2.5 years to lose 30 lbs and get to WW goal weight. Sometimes I wish I'd done it differently (i.e. just tracked/lost the the weight straight through), but the fahrting around provided some good lessons and allowed me to do some experimentation along the way that I may not have given myself the opportunity to do if I'd just plowed straight through.

I maintained/lost an extra 10-12lbs. inuitively for two solid years. I still weighed daily. I gained weight (about 14lbs.) during breast cancer treatment. Part of that gain was medication/even less activity and part was just not paying attention to what I was eating. Probably 50/50. I maintained that gain for about a year and a half then gained another 15 in three months solely from stuffing my face with crap food and paying no attention. No tracking or daily weighing during cancer treatment through the additional 15 pounds.

I had trouble getting back on the horse, but finally got serious again at the beginning of the year and tracked for 14 straight weeks. I was shocked at how easily the pounds came off this time. I started with Freestyle but switched to MFP sometime in March. I was double-tracking while on Freestyle. I've been spotty with tracking since late April, but I'm feeling okay about it. I haven't gained, but I'm close enough to goal that I need to track again to get over the last hump. When I'm eating mainly Power Foods, I don't need to track to lose. Snacking/drinking/special events, I should track.

As far as abandoning tracking after a bad day, I've never really been bad about that. I'm actually usually curious to see just how bad it really was in order to know what I'm capable of.

So, like I mentioned in a thread earlier in the week, I think it's a good idea for me to track at least one week a month even if I'm feeling fine about intuitive. Tracking - - even periodically - - is just a good habit that might keep me mindful forever.

Thanks for the question.