Net Carbs

Options
abcgeorgef
abcgeorgef Posts: 1 Member
Hola! New to this board. I can't seem to get the app to net fiber against my carb intake to get an accurate reading. Is this a shortcoming of the app or am I missing something?

Thanks, Geo

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I use the "net carb script" from the LC intro materials. It works great for me. I am using it with Chrome, and I had to install TaperMonkey to make it function.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I followed this website's walkthrough:

cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
    Hope it helps!
  • shirli2018
    shirli2018 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just do the math myself but only deduct fiber from actual food like veggies and fruits. I don’t deduct it from processed food because well that fiber was already processed. Otherwise, We could have just diff ourselves with a bunch of empty carbs and sprinkle it all with fiber supplement and call it zero carbs too.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    shirli2018 wrote: »
    I just do the math myself but only deduct fiber from actual food like veggies and fruits. I don’t deduct it from processed food because well that fiber was already processed. Otherwise, We could have just diff ourselves with a bunch of empty carbs and sprinkle it all with fiber supplement and call it zero carbs too.

I am not sure I understand the reasoning here. If I take a cupcake, add 10 g of fiber to it and then subtract the 10 g of fiber for the net, I am still left with the original cupcake.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    abcgeorgef wrote: »
    Hola! New to this board. I can't seem to get the app to net fiber against my carb intake to get an accurate reading. Is this a shortcoming of the app or am I missing something?

Thanks, Geo

I've read that the scripts that work on the website (desktop) do not work on the app (cell phone). I don't really know since I don't use the scripts or focus on net carbs. Perhaps others can shed some light on pc verus app and the scripts working. You mentioned APP, thus my comment.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    shirli2018 wrote: »

Similar to another poster, I'm not quite sure what you're meaning. HOWEVER, I'll interpret it as what I see often occurring and that is someone justifying or rationalizing a "poor choice" by focusing on the fiber content if they have a goal of X fiber or X for net carbs. I tend to see this more in "other forums" with comments such as "I ate a bran muffin for extra fiber". In my mind it was still a sweet muffin. It just happened to have fiber. ;) (Of course a judgement on my part because I really don't know what they ate).

One of the reasons I don't bother focusing on "net" or "fiber" is because I could easily slip into eating something that really does not need to be a part of "my plan" by saying "It had this many carbs but only this many net carbs". I just try to focus on eating vegetables versus "keto muffins". In my past life, I got fat eating too many "healthy" muffins cuz tasty.
  • shirli2018
    shirli2018 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My point is chewing your food vs. eating powder additives/supplements. It’s not a one to one replacement therefore I only count fiber that I had to chew for my body to use. This is just me based on principles of eating unprocessed food. But again this what I do. I also don’t redeem exercise calories for food calories either.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Adding in fiber supplement adds carbs. You cannot have a fiber supplement without carbs.

If you took Metamucil that was 10 grams of fiber, there would be 10 grams of carbs, making it zero next carbs FOR ITSELF.

You cannot artificially create a negative carb situation. There is no such thing as a "negative carb" food, unless someone has made an error in calculation and subtracted fiber carbs from a number that was already a Net Carbs number.