Starting Keto on Monday...

Options
mesaint
mesaint Posts: 19 Member
Hi All--I'm about to start Keto! I've been doing the low carb thing, but want to change it up to lose the last 30lbs I have left...

That said, I've been warned about upping my salt intake. As someone who has never really been into salting my food or having a huge desire for salt, what do you all recommend I do to stay on track with the plan and also avoid the keto flu?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not into salt either and prior to weight loss (2013-14) was on a low sodium diet for high blood pressure so was a bit reluctant to increase sodium. That's neither here nor there now. I've been off BP meds for a few years, eat very low carb, have upped my salt intake due to necessity and have no ill effect from it.

My choice is either salty broth or simply dumping about a half teaspoon in my palm, quickly licking it off and washing it down with some liquid. Quick, easy, done. Not real classy. ;) I'm also a fan of dill pickle juice. You'll find what is acceptable for you. Others will offer their choices but I'll guess that salt tablets might be an easy option for you. I've never purchased/used them.

Don't make eating keto difficult. Keep carbs low and your calories/sodium in check. It's really that simple. I was reading elsewhere where someone said Pink Himalayan or Sea Salt is REQUIRED and plain table salt will NOT work. Huh? Not so. There might be mineral benefit to the other two and Himalayan tastes better to me with my "palm method" but my n=1 was plain old table salt worked just fine.
  • mesaint
    mesaint Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I'd read the same thing about the pink Himalayan salt, but didn't know what to think since I'm so new to this piece of things.

I've already got a good, easy, really-not-all-that-different-from-my-current-eating meal plan set up for next week (all meals), and I'm looking forward to it! I made it fairly simple and added some new things to the shopping list, but it all seems fairly straightforward. Has that been your (or anyone else's) experience?
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I use Redmond Real Salt simply because I think it tastes better than plain ol' table salt, lol. Just look around and figure out what works best for you. :) You'll do fine. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of other ingredients added to table salt: sci-toys.com/ingredients/table_salt.html
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    An "opinion" of table salt versus the pink stuff:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pink-himalayan-salt
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was really nervous at first, since it's so different from how I had been eating before. What I learned is that you'll adjust things along the way, figure out what works best for you, and add favorites to your arsenal of foods/ recipes as time goes on.