Rhubarb dessert

Options
Phoenix_Dawn
Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
This is my favourite summertime dessert.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222739/nikkis-best-rhubarb-dessert-ever/

I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on how to make it low carb. I have swerve sweetener and lakanto golden monk fruit sweetener as well as powdered stevia. I also have almond flour, coconut flour and carbquick.

Replies

• Phoenix_Dawn
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. It looks good, but I'm really wanting to make a custard rhubarb recipe.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/strawberry-rhubarb-custard-pie-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

Never tried it. I'd eat the whole thing. My problem if it is in the house...
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Pre low-carb, I always replaced half of the flour called for with rolled oats when making a crumble crust so I have had really good success making a crumble crust using a combination of almond flour and unsweetened shredded coconut. You will have to experiment with the different artificial sweeteners though, I find them all very different and am personally not a fan of the after taste that a lot of them leave. I usually use Splenda
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've always found recipes by Carolyn at alldayidreamaboutfood.com very reliable. I'm very tempted to try the one that kpk54 mentioned above. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It would not be super low carb but, for the crust you could try golden flaxmeal. Maybe not 3cups worth. I would go with 2 cups and then add some vanilla (sugar-free) protein powder (maybe 2 scoops) and some powdered stevia or a fake brown sugar... I think Twins makes one?

For the filling, I would use protein powder too. It can REALLY fluff up. In fact, if you look up protein fluff recipes, you can see it whips into an almost mousse like texture after lots and lots and lots of whipping. I would use whipped cream instead of half and half. And of course use a stevia or other sweetener instead of sugar.

I know protein powder in baking sounds odd but I add it to all of my baking and find it makes a good partial (or most) substitution of flour. Most of my baking now includes flaxmeal, coconut flour and vanilla protein powder.
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Options
    fpxjqdlgrtps.jpg

This was my result. I made it with 1 cup almond flour and 2 cups carbquick flour. Also substituted hwc for the half and half and used lakanto golden and swerve as the sugars.

The crust didn't crisp up resulting in a little soggier dessert than I would have liked, but the flavour it's amazing! I may try the flax and almond flour next time.