Need accountability

tolive64
tolive64 Posts: 7 Member
Hi all - I recently joined and I am really struggling. I'm going over my calories frequently - and I have a lot of shame about it. I can't figure out why I can't just listen to myself when I know I should. Life is pretty stressful right now - isn't it for everyone??? And I know that I need to get this weight off to live a healthy long life. But for some reason my brain ignores my warning to stop at one glass of wine, to walk away from that chewy granola bar, etc. I'm doing great during the day - it's dinner and after that is the kicker. I have all the tools - I'm just not using them. So I'm setting myself a goal and I need witnesses - I will stay under my calories for the next 5 days, eating healthy, limiting wine, and moving my body for at least 30 mins. Today is water aerobics - it is so hot here (Florida). Thanks for witnessing - (hoping to lose 40 pounds - current weight 203). Could also use some on-line friends to cheer me on. I never was a cheerleader (and I SO wanted to be), but I'm great at supporting folks. B)

Replies

• slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Be happy to support you, know what a struggle it is to stay on track.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2018
    I found it HARD in the 18 months surrounding my last period. It was like 18 months of PMS cravings (and wine indulgences). sheesh!!
    I'm happy to be a support as well. I'm trying to lose the 10-12 I gained during the transition.
  • tolive64
    Thanks, y'all! Doing good so far. Plus there is an offer on our house!!! Woohoo. Gonna reward myself with a GLASS - one - of Rose. Then tomorrow morning a long walk!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Congrats on the offer!
  • MountainLaurel787
    MountainLaurel787 Posts: 45 Member
    I've been doing the same thing. I stopped logging over a year ago and put my weight back on...and then some. I just got back on to MFP with a new set of goals. I tend to yo yo and I doubt that's good for my health. Good luck on this journey. You are not alone!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    edited June 2018
    If it's a struggle, then maybe it's time to evaluate the plan and adjust it so that it better fits your life. If you like to eat a lot in the evening, then maybe schedule you calories that breakfast and lunch are either skipped or very light. If evening is when you have the biggest appetite, save the calories for that time of day. When you eat doesn't really matter that much, but what you eat and how much you eat are very important.

Maybe walking instead of lunch, that would be two-for...getting activity and cutting calories...you could always do a snack for lunch if you want to eat something but don't want to eat a whole meal.

Success is really much more about sustainability and finding something that fits your life than using any single version of "move more, eat less".

I totally get wine as a weakness...love that stuff!!!
  • tolive64
    So great to see your supportive comments! I am committed to track my calories - even when I know I've gone over. Currently I've set my calorie limit for 1400 - wondering if I should go up to 1500. Going to do some more reading. It is so hot here - I live in Florida. So walking midday is out for me. But I'm going to start getting up 30 minutes earlier so I can get out before 7:30. I've gotta have my cuppa before I can function in the morning. And I like the idea of going light on calories during the day, then eating good meal in evening. I don't really get hungry until about 11/12. Thanks again!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    tolive64 wrote: »
    So great to see your supportive comments! I am committed to track my calories - even when I know I've gone over. Currently I've set my calorie limit for 1400 - wondering if I should go up to 1500. Going to do some more reading. It is so hot here - I live in Florida. So walking midday is out for me. But I'm going to start getting up 30 minutes earlier so I can get out before 7:30. I've gotta have my cuppa before I can function in the morning. And I like the idea of going light on calories during the day, then eating good meal in evening. I don't really get hungry until about 11/12. Thanks again!

You sound like a good candidate for intermittent fasting. Some find it much easier to eat within their calorie allotment if they start eating later in the day (or end earlier in the day).
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    I’m back again after a year or so off! I’m looking to build a mutually supportive network this time around - because I’m terrible at being accountable only to myself! Feel free to friend me! Let’s do this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    I’m back again after a year or so off! I’m looking to build a mutually supportive network this time around - because I’m terrible at being accountable only to myself! Feel free to friend me! Let’s do this!
    Welcome back!
  • tolive64
    The struggle is REAL! I didn't meet my goals. So today I rode my bike for 40 minutes. Trying the intermittent fasting - just finished a big breakfast of healthy food - purchased grapes and berries and bananas for snacks. So much stress in my life - but nothing more important than my health. Thanks for all your encouragement.
  • suzysunshine6901
    suzysunshine6901 Posts: 9 Member
    We’re here to support you. I know I yo yo depending on how hard I’m trying to eat healthier. I’m on day 7 or cutting out sweet snacks. I was crazy out of control so I committed to a reset. Bonus is I find myself eating fruits now that I didn’t use to.