Intro and Busy Spring/Summer

Options
Just a bit about me.
Male, 62, fairly active, love the outdoors.

I came to MFP to help me lose 20+ lbs. I figured that there is no reason to try to cut weight out of my backpack if I was just going to carry an extra 20-30lbs around my middle. So far, so good. I started the year at 212 (overweight for 5' 11"). I am heading down to a BMI of 25. I am on MFP to drop this weight to help keep my general health in line as well. I am arthritic and extra weight is s stressor. And I can clearly see that excess weight and elevated A1C go hand in hand.

My results in the last 3 months have been quite good. Now, I just need to stay on track.

Upcoming Treks:
May - 5 nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. We are a group of six ranging from 19 to 64 and all experienced backpackers. We are spending most of our time out on the Tonto Trail after a night at Bright Angel Camp. Three of have experienced backpacking in the Grand Canyon (this is my third trip in as many years...obsessed?). Can't wait.

July - 12 days with a crew of 12 Boy Scouts (10 youth and 2 Adults) at Philmont in New Mexico. Something like 60-80 miles (depends on options) in 10 days. This has been something I have wanted to do for many years. The group of 12 is a lot of fun. We have two move "shakedown" backpacking weekends before July 1.

Of course in preparation for all this, I am at the gym some days and out hiking others. I usually am out on some sort of a trail hike (3-8 miles) at least twice a week. I love being outdoors and it is much more fun than the gym.

Upcoming Adventures:
I have a headful of ideas and a desk drawer that has a lot of plans. I want to hike and backpack for years to come.

I am busy.

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Very cool!!! I hope to be backpacking and hike for many years to come also. You are very inspirational, and those trips sound amazing. Hopefully you will keep us updated. How long have you been hiking and backpacking for?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Excellent. I'll add that, while I've lost weight (and have about 15 lbs. remaining to lose), it doesn't mean you shouldn't also try to cut weight from your pack.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Been hiking and backpacking for many years. Many changes in how far and how often over the years as I moved from single to married, children, children away and back to single/divorced.

Now, I try to hike a lot and backpack a lot as well. So far in 2018, I have just under 300 miles of boots on the trail...9 miles last night in the woods just for fun.

The Grand Canyon trip was exceptional. Some of the older participants struggled a bit, but we rearranged things to suit them and all was just fine. I went off with the younger guys and we had a blast exploring places I had never seen. A little swimming in the Colorado (yes, very cold), being very careful to stay in a slow circulating eddy. Heat, shade, starry nights and some awesome sights. My son got almost face to face with a big horn sheep. Great times.

Trip to Philmont is up in the air. The backcountry is closed until July 15th (we were to arrive on July 5th). So we are trying to figure out other possibilities. Not easy when we all have such different schedules. Looks like we will run a shorter trek (7 days, not 12) in early August if we can get enough youth interested and available. If not...I may just have to go solo to Colorado and the Collegiate Peaks loop (160 miles on Colorado Trail and Continental Divide trail).

And yes, it is always good to keep an eye on pack weight. After every trip, I review what is in my pack, what I used, etc. But some things I will always carry...