What tips did you wish someone told you in the beginning of your low carb journey?

Options
13»

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    More would be great.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great tips from a newbie [day 3].

I made bulletproof coffee on day 1 early afternoon when I normally binge [1 T kerrygold 1 T coconut oil and 1 T heavy cream]...it sustained me until dinner. So now that's my go to afternoon delight. ;O)

I appreciate all the salt tips because I feel so weird doing it but I keep getting reminded to add more salt.

And how do I make chocolate with coconut oil please?

Thanks. Trish
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me, this little saying holds true:

"Fail to plan or plan to fail"
    Mostly I pertain this to my weekly meal planning and grocery trips. If I stay on track with keeping good food in the house and meals in the line up, I'm much much less likely to flub up. Planning to keep my fridge/freezer stocked with foods that I actually look forward to eating make it so much easier to stay on the right path.

But this also holds true to things like...if I know I'm going to be at a cookout/dinner party or drinking with friends, I need to plan to have snacks and foods that I can enjoy and indulge in. If I fail to do so, it's waaay too easy to go for the other stuff.
  • baconslave
    Options
    And another "planning" tip. Pre-logging.
    Life saver.
    Pre-log your day the night before. You have a guilt-free, easy plan to follow, so you don't have to make decisions when hungry. And you won't accidentally go over on carbs or calories when you make a choice at the end of your day that turns out doesn't fit and makes you go over.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wish it had been laid out as LCHS, or maybe "Salty Keto," to de-emphasize dietary fat (thereby emphasizing dietary protein) and remind folks about getting enough sodium.

It might have saved me some LBM and a couple weeks of living in Zombieland.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    The salt omg the salt. My dr originally set me on this path 3 years ago but while she was supper supportive had no real advice on where to start so I just limited my carbs to 35g a day and I THOUGHT I WAS DYING. I didn't realize I needed salt I maintained but good lord that first shot in the dark was painful and unnecessary.

That you don't have to have some magical fat amount. It's not required to add fat just for fats sake for most people. Don't force yourself to put butter in your coffee and olive oil on everything if you don't like it. I've never ever found a BPC coffee that doesn't make me gag. I just hate it and that's ok

Fake carbs just make me mad. Cauliflower pizza crust isn't pizza. It just makes me want the real stuff worse. So, I don't engage in low carb copies of carbs AT ALL. I'm lucky that I can have a single slice of good NY style (the only style) pizza once in a while and I don't experience many side effects. (It just took me a stupid long time to learn I can't have like the whole pie every other night...... but that's a conversation for a different topic)

And finally, It was a watershed moment for me to realize there's no magic program. a LC lifestyle is incredible personal. What works for you won't necessarily work for me and I don't have to follow some specific diet program obsessively and fear that I'M DOING IT WRONG constantly.

And yes all of these are in the posts above but *pbbbbbt* most people need to hear, see, read things upteen times before they absorb into our thick skulls.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that the Keto flu is NOT normal, to "suffer" through it is not normal. It is not a flu it is an electrolyte balance. Get that salt into you. I also had to google what electrolytes were at first.

Having to eat 3 meals plus snacks is nonsense. Eat when you are hungry, learn to listen to your body.

Don't obsess about macros. At first get used to the plan and a new mindset. You can eat crispy chickenskin, you are told to use full fat products. Enjoy, don't feel guilty. When you are used to the plan, look at your macros.

There is no need to go Keto, low carb is fine.

And eat too much carbs and bloat to 7 months pregnancy and put on 4-7lbs in water weight is normal. It comes off again once the carbs leaves your body.

Finally, yes your bowel movements will get affected. Don't be scared, you are not constipated.

And PS Magnesium can have some interesting side effects if taken to excess.
  • baconslave
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    The salt omg the salt. My dr originally set me on this path 3 years ago but while she was supper supportive had no real advice on where to start so I just limited my carbs to 35g a day and I THOUGHT I WAS DYING. I didn't realize I needed salt I maintained but good lord that first shot in the dark was painful and unnecessary.

That you don't have to have some magical fat amount. It's not required to add fat just for fats sake for most people. Don't force yourself to put butter in your coffee and olive oil on everything if you don't like it. I've never ever found a BPC coffee that doesn't make me gag. I just hate it and that's ok

Fake carbs just make me mad. Cauliflower pizza crust isn't pizza. It just makes me want the real stuff worse. So, I don't engage in low carb copies of carbs AT ALL. I'm lucky that I can have a single slice of good NY style (the only style) pizza once in a while and I don't experience many side effects. (It just took me a stupid long time to learn I can't have like the whole pie every other night...... but that's a conversation for a different topic)

And finally, It was a watershed moment for me to realize there's no magic program. a LC lifestyle is incredible personal. What works for you won't necessarily work for me and I don't have to follow some specific diet program obsessively and fear that I'M DOING IT WRONG constantly.

And yes all of these are in the posts above but *pbbbbbt* most people need to hear, see, read things upteen times before they absorb into our thick skulls.

And lots are like: "SALT!!! No that's bad. I don't need it. This doesn't apply to me."
    EVERY low-carber has higher sodium needs. Especially those that will pass in and out of keto or those who stay keto. At 100-120g, I needed sodium. Not as much as when I was keto, but I needed it. It's biology.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @baconslave I have had friends who said "OMG YOU'RE GOING TO DIE EATING THAT MUCH SALT". Naah. Every health metric is vastly improved with this way of eating. I ain't gonna die from salt.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    chocolate coconut oil - I use agave instead of honey, but any sweetener can be used:

allrecipes.com/recipe/236212/homemade-melt-in-your-mouth-dark-chocolate-paleo/
  • abbyweaver1975
    abbyweaver1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been reading through a lot of these and I have a question. It might have already been answered. I work out hard twice a week and the other days I get as much activity as possible (taking steps at work, walking as much as my schedule allows). I am doing something everyday. I am new to Keto so I am wondering how many calories should I allow myself in a day? And any suggestions on how to keep myself from falling off the wagon and letting it roll over me? LOL! I'm struggling this morning, if you can't tell.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @abbyweaver1975 I find if I gave a hungry day, especially when I was getting used to this way of eating, it was helpful to eat more, but not in carbs. Some days I just seemed to need 500+ calories more for some reason. My usual intake while losing, and without exercise, was 1500 kcal. I rarely had more than two days in a row of 2000-2500 kcal days. Then my hunger fell off and I ended up with some lower calorie days. I found not depriving myself of calories when I needed them helped.

Since you are active, you may have higher calorie needs than me while losing, unless you are quite petite. I am 5'8" and had 40lbs to lose, and lost about 2 lbs a week on average. If I was exercising, I probably could have averaged closer to 1700-1800 kcal. I often walked 30-60 minutes but tended not to eat that back - I guessed it was only a hundred or so calories.

And try more salt and water. Sometimes those needs feel like hunger and low energy. :)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    What she said! "eat fat to satiety" means that when you feel low, eat a spoonful of something fatty and see how you feel in an hour. And drink more water. With salt if you need it.