Best Way to Cut?

Options
littlegibbs62
littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
Just curious about "cutting." Is it basically the same as hard core dieting? What are the strategies and is it always done in addition to heavy lifting? If I still have 40-50 lbs to lose, is it better not to cut, and to just diet and do my cardio and resistance band work rather than beginning lifting at this stage?

TIA for the education!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cutting refers to losing weight while trying to retain as much muscle as possible. It is not necessarily hard core, although some experienced and trained individuals will go about it a little more aggressively (with proper protocol) and get to ultra lean non-sustainable bodyfat levels.

Yes cutting typically happens paired with resistance training, otherwise you will lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. So my advice... start lifting NOW (actually start living yesterday but unless you have a time machine on hand... :D ) .. it will help you retain muscle as you lose which will have a very positive outcome on your body composition when you get to goal.

So in order to cut successfully and most optimally,
    -Do not have an aggressive deficit
    -Get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight minimum)
    -Follow a progressive lifting program

• littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • anniemccall1129
    anniemccall1129 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Cutting refers to losing weight while trying to retain as much muscle as possible. It is not necessarily hard core, although some experienced and trained individuals will go about it a little more aggressively (with proper protocol) and get to ultra lean non-sustainable bodyfat levels.

Yes cutting typically happens paired with resistance training, otherwise you will lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. So my advice... start lifting NOW (actually start living yesterday but unless you have a time machine on hand... :D ) .. it will help you retain muscle as you lose which will have a very positive outcome on your body composition when you get to goal.

I've experienced firsthand what sardelsa is saying. Recently I cut out too many calories when I tried to lose weight quickly, and I lost muscle and fat, not just fat because although the scale went down, my pants still fit the same and I didn't see much visual change. The one thing I would add to her list is to increase the higher-intensity exercise. Doesn't have to be long, could be like 15-20 minutes in the morning and then the same in the afternoon, but get your heart rate up there (in intervals, such as with HIIT).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I've experienced firsthand what sardelsa is saying. Recently I cut out too many calories when I tried to lose weight quickly, and I lost muscle and fat, not just fat because although the scale went down, my pants still fit the same and I didn't see much visual change. The one thing I would add to her list is to increase the higher-intensity exercise. Doesn't have to be long, could be like 15-20 minutes in the morning and then the same in the afternoon, but get your heart rate up there (in intervals, such as with HIIT).

While HIIT is great for some people, it can be time efficient and good for endurance and certain types of cardiovascular training, keep in mind it can be very taxing for recovery and it can interfere with lifting sessions. If it starts to interfere it can actually decrease muscle retention which is clearly the opposite of what you want for cutting. For me I have to be very careful and keep my cardio less intense, but YMMV right.