Which is harder, losing weight or keeping it off?

Options
loveshoe
loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
I thought this was an interesting article. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/which-is-harder-losing-weight-or-keeping-it-off/

Based on my previous yo-yo dieters experience I agree with the article about my focus and not having a plan to keep the weight off. Having a plan has made a difference in my 2-year weight maintenance.

What are your thoughts, harder to lose or harder to maintain?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I was a steady gainer rather than a yo-yoer but did make the occasional effort to be a steady loser...lol.

I lost all my excess weight/body fat in less than a year after surgery. Then I got too lean. That 6 months or so when my body tried to find equilibrium was horrible. I logically knew that I needed to gain weight but it was so hard to trust the process.

I've been plus/minus 5 pounds for more than a year now and, while it isn't hard per se due to my regimen, it is still a bit of a mind game with me. I'm still quite lean but overweight--I'm one of those BMI outliers. I want to weigh less but know it would be tough to achieve and stay healthy.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I actually gain easily when I eat too low of calories. I hate when people say the “starvation mode” is a myth. Everyone’s body acts differently. I gain at low calories. I lost when I was doing 5,000 calories a day (yes, you read that correctly). I was on a feeding tube and my bag was 5,000 a day...7 days a week! Now, that I am on solids, I eat what I can and if I fall short, I drink the rest. I don’t weigh myself but my clothes size has been the same for about 8 years. I know his because I haven’t bought new clothes for a while...I need to go shopping😂😂. I think a fluctuation of a few pounds is realistic. I’m not in the losing weight stage, so I try to eat 1500-1700 calories a day.