Do you miss eating for pleasure?

Options
jenniepriebe
jenniepriebe Posts: 11 Member
This is a question that I probably know the answer to, but it’s one of my biggest fears about having surgery if I’m being honest w/myself (and all of you!). I’m a big-time pleasure eater & it seems like I’ll need to figure that part out. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Who said you can't eat for pleasure anymore? Lol. I think what you're do may be more eating yummy junk food when you're not really hungry? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I enjoy EVERYTHING I eat. Otherwise I wouldn't be consuming it. I eat different types of food now though. Rarely do I have fast food or sweets anymore. But the food I eat now is delicious and yes sometimes "pleasurable". But it's also nourishing and satiating.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I would agree with what @JamesAztec said. I will say that I do still enjoy pizza and stuff like that - before I started my process I told my surgeon I wouldn’t want to be unable to eat pizza, have a cookie, etc and he said that I will still be able to enjoy them but not immediately after surgery and I would be able to eat less.

That said, I do have it and I love to cook and bake so I have enjoyed finding good recipes that taste amazing and are Bariatric friendly. The Bariatric Eating site has some great recipes, and if you hadn’t seen any of my posts on other threads I have tons of sites I refer to for recipes. Some are websites based on healthy foods and others are just great recipes and you can modify if you need. Let me know if you are able to find the thread otherwise I can send the links.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy eating food! One of my favorite indulgences is Black Label Mtn. Dew for my sugar fix. I still eat pizza, but instead of half a pie, I eat one slice and feel satisfied. If I want an Oreo, oatmeal cream pie or whatever, I just make sure it falls within my daily caloric allotment.

I don't eat for the joy of it though and I've found that since I am more able to go out and do things, eating isn't something I do to pass the time any longer. I also don't eat out hardly ever now.
  • jenniepriebe
    jenniepriebe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I guess I’ve only been exposed to information that the medical team has given me so hearing real-world feedback is really helpful.
    JamesAztec wrote: »
    I think what you're do may be more eating yummy junk food when you're not really hungry? Correct me if I'm wrong.

James, you are spot on, I love the yummy sweets & carbs! It’s good to know that it’s ok to indulge (in a smart way) post-surgery.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am with the others, I still enjoy eating, and definitely cooking. I have always been social and I love to entertain, and cooking and eating is a big part of that. I make different things now, and I also adapt recipes to make them fit into my eating style. I think having more control over my eating and being more focused with it has given me the freedom to enjoy what I choose to eat without any issues.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, and make stir fries and Korean BBQ ribs and chia bowls and so many more interesting foods now than before surgery. Key to your new life is eating MINDFULLY - thinking about what you put in your mouth, and how it will affect the way you feel. My mobility is vastly improved - never giving that up again! So, it's all good. Moderation.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It depends on what part of eating is fun for you! I can still eat everything I ate before, just not nearly as much. I had pizza yesterday and managed two slices. It was delish. Before I could have eaten a large pizza alone and had room for more. Now whether pizza was a good choice is another question...
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I eat differently now but I enjoy what I eat. I still go out to resturants but instead of burger and fries, desserts and cocktails I'll order steak and veggies and enjoy the conversation more

I'm not worried about offending people by saying no to food. I was at a friend's house yesterday who lives off takeaways, had no problem saying thanks but I'll eat after I get home, the food didn't appeal or fit into my preferred eating style
  • Jessical1066
    Jessical1066 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Who said you can't eat for pleasure anymore? Lol. I think what you're do may be more eating yummy junk food when you're not really hungry? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I enjoy EVERYTHING I eat. Otherwise I wouldn't be consuming it. I eat different types of food now though. Rarely do I have fast food or sweets anymore. But the food I eat now is delicious and yes sometimes "pleasurable". But it's also nourishing and satiating.

This is something I am struggling with! You say you are eating better and enjoying delicious food. I'm a few months out before surgery and have lost close to 40 pounds so far. But, the food is boring. Salads with chicken, ham steaks, broccoli, cheese sticks, chicken salad, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, occasionally fish, eggs, Greek yogurt nearly every day for breakfast - and I hate the taste, and post workout protein shakes. I've just had a bad two weeks of take out items - chicken pad thai, eggplant rollatini, pizza, nachos .... That food is delicious!

One of my biggest challenges is that I work until 5, go to the gym, drink a protein shake at 7:30, shower, and can't prepare dinner until 8 or so. This means I'm looking for things that are fast an easy so I'm eating a lot of omelets. The practice I'm going to said to avoid marinades as they add extra carbs and calories...but I admit, I've ignored that advice and put olive oil on steaks and I marinade salmon in Teriyaki.

If someone can recommend a website with advice to turn healthy food into delicious food, I'd be happy to take a look at it!! Of course, it doesn't help that I don't like a lot of vegetables and grew up in a household that ate few vegetables and mostly ate pre-packaged foods (think hamburger and tuna helpers, chicken burgers, fish sticks and French fries!)

:smile:
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Jessical1066 you will have to make changes to see changes. But if you start to like the food you'll find that it is in fact delicious and nourishing.

Personally I don't drink any "shakes" and rarely have stuff like protein bars. I believe the more processed something is, the easier it is to eat. And you'll continue to crave processed foods. I probably AVERAGE 3,000 calories a day. That big number is mainly because I'm not afraid of natural fats. Yes, I exercise regularly. More importantly I eat foods that are in their original form (eggs meat fish fruit nuts poultry seeds beans vegetables etc) or minimally processed. And when I do eat out I try to make smart choices. I ate at Dennys Sunday morning. 4 eggs, 2 bacon, bowl of fruit. And then I ran my FIRST MARATHON.

I'm NEVER hungry and haven't had any significant weight gain in over three years now since surgery. I know I'm just one person but I don't believe restricting calories is a good long term solution for most. Eat naturally and your body will tell you when it's full.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I posted this in a different thread the other day:

Here are some good resources I have found for products, recipes and just good blog posts:

Bariatric Eating
    The World According to Eggface
    Bariatric Foodie
    Celebrate Vitamins
    Eat the Bear (love their protein powder)
    Chike (love their coffee based protein powders)
    Chocorite - great protein powders and sugar feee chocolates
    Lilly’s Chocolate - tasty sugar free options
    Lakanto - monk fruit based sweetener and products
    Skinnytaste
    Emily Bites
    Weight Watchers
    Once Upon A Chef
    Mels Kitchen Cafe
    Peas and Crayons
    Oh She Glows
    Damn Delicious (love the protein waffle recipe. Doesn’t use protein powder just cottage cheese and eggs for protein sources)
    Syntrax Nectar (they will send you a samplin if all of their offerings for $15 - one time only)
    Thin Slim Foods
    Also - I recently tried Ezekiel bread which is flour free and very good

Some of these sites aren’t specific to Bariatric surgery patients but have good resources and recipes. Some recipes can be modified as well.

• luke6283
    luke6283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is a question that I probably know the answer to, but it’s one of my biggest fears about having surgery if I’m being honest w/myself (and all of you!). I’m a big-time pleasure eater & it seems like I’ll need to figure that part out. Thoughts? Suggestions?

As prepared as you'll think you are , itll still hit you, just educate yourself on how to deal with it for when it happens...that's how I regained 20 lbs....now back on track though. Current loss is 140lb including the regain...
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

This is something I am struggling with! You say you are eating better and enjoying delicious food. I'm a few months out before surgery and have lost close to 40 pounds so far. But, the food is boring. Salads with chicken, ham steaks, broccoli, cheese sticks, chicken salad, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, occasionally fish, eggs, Greek yogurt nearly every day for breakfast - and I hate the taste, and post workout protein shakes. I've just had a bad two weeks of take out items - chicken pad thai, eggplant rollatini, pizza, nachos .... That food is delicious!

One of my biggest challenges is that I work until 5, go to the gym, drink a protein shake at 7:30, shower, and can't prepare dinner until 8 or so. This means I'm looking for things that are fast an easy so I'm eating a lot of omelets. The practice I'm going to said to avoid marinades as they add extra carbs and calories...but I admit, I've ignored that advice and put olive oil on steaks and I marinade salmon in Teriyaki.

If someone can recommend a website with advice to turn healthy food into delicious food, I'd be happy to take a look at it!! Of course, it doesn't help that I don't like a lot of vegetables and grew up in a household that ate few vegetables and mostly ate pre-packaged foods (think hamburger and tuna helpers, chicken burgers, fish sticks and French fries!)

When I started this journey, I vowed to never again eat things I don’t like, including yogurt and protein shakes. I haven’t and all has gone well. Find things you like that fit into your new lifestyle. I travel for work, so I mostly eat at restaurants. I eat protein, soups, and veggies. You can find what works for you. Keep trying.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am actually more into food and probably love it more than I ever was before my surgery. I think it’s because I know I might only get a bite or two of it, so it better be good and worth it. You will find that out and trust me it will take some time. I put every food that I consume in 2 categories. “Will I okay with eating this? Or am I gonna pay for it, later?” Knowing that something I really want despite the consequences means I do want it for either pleasure or even comfort even if it’s only temporary. I believe pleasure is not just an isolated thought or an act, but can also be the memories and the connection that I have with that food. I think that’s normal. I eat potted meat. When I looked at the process of how it was made and the sodium count, I was like, “No, never again will I eat that.” But, it reminds me of my dad (RIP) who loved in it and it brings me comfort that I can still be close to him and also pleasure because it’s my past and I feel close to him.
    I hope I worded this right.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy food. I'm still learning that there are no bad foods but there are foods that a bite or two is all I can have. I still have pizza, 1/2 slice paired with a small salad with a vinegarette dressing. I like bologna even though I know it isn't a smart choice. I won't buy an entire package but get one slice from the deli. Did I get weird looks the first time I ordered one slice, yes but I'll take the weird look any day over buying and eating an entire package of bologna. Because I would, I would have it for every meal until the package was gone.

You don't have to give up foods you like you only need to eat reasonable quantities and like HappyKat5 said to know the consequences of your choice, is the pleasure worth the temporary pleasure.
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know I do!!! I'm off during the summer and unless we are doing something I am a huge tv watcher (I know terrible habit) and I miss sitting on the couch just eating whatever and watching tv!!! I am doing well so far this summer (helps that there isn't much food in the house 🙂) I haven't had surgery yet so I know the mindless eating while watching tv had to stop!
    I just wished it wasn't so hot outside so that I could spent more time outside and not on the couch!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

What does food pleasure mean to you? It's going to be different sensation for each of us. You won't know how food pleasure is going to play out for you until after surgery.

Some things to know...Only from my personal experience:
    • My taste buds changed. Some of the things I enjoyed I can't stand. I now crave healthier foods.
    • l discovered that my new stomach has a different tollenace for certain foods.
    • It's a pleasure to have the sensation of full on a smaller amount of food
    • I enjoy food quality food over quantity.
    • I still enjoy pizza. many healthy recipes for it.

I have cravings..... Sweet and Salty cravings can be satisfied with healthy options.

Example

Salty: beef Jerky or chicken fajitas without the tortilla.
    Sweet:Dannon lite n fit flavored yogurts or strawberries dipped in hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup.

@jcavanna2 has some great recipe links. Here is my bariatric dietitians recipe site - Look through them to get ideas of what food can be like.
    http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

I love cooking. I eat healthy and it's still flavorful and a pleasure.

• HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    "It's a pleasure to have the sensation of full on a smaller amount of food"

This!

I am a bit of a foodie and I agree with the others -- if you can find time, there are a ton of healthy options for meals.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

You do have a tough schedule. How about finding some recipes you can make and enjoy for a few days as leftovers? Here's what I'm making for dinner tonight: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup. Recipes makes 6 1-cup servings. You can thrw in some frozen shrimp to bump up the protein.