Workout changes on Keto

Options
GeorgeGCT
GeorgeGCT Posts: 20 Member
Hello everyone. I am a few weeks into the Keto lifestyle. The flu was mild once I added electrolytes and increased hydration. I have noticed my energy to lift weight has been reduced. I have been able to continue gaining with smaller weight and more reps. This seems to make sense if I am running on ketones. Anyone want to shed some light on this or share their experience? Does this return and improve over time? Curious how long it took people. Thanks.

Replies

• armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Make sure to increase your sodium intake. Also recommend that you take daily multivitamins, potassium pills, and 500mg magnesium pills. This will help you while in Ketosis.

I’ve been on the Keto Diet since May 13th and lost over 18 lbs of Body Fat Mass and 6.6% Body Fat. I did notice a drop in my energy level during the gym for the first 2 weeks. After that, I had no problem hitting heavy weights and doing 2 plus hours in the gym.
  • GeorgeGCT
    GeorgeGCT Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress. Thanks for the advice. I did increase the electrolytes and vitamins I have paid attention to as well. Guess I should start to feel better with the heavy lifts soon then. Glad to hear your burst energy improved. Keep up that good work! I lost about 8 lbs or so. Getting there. I want more upper body strength too so this has been a real challenge.
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you and congrats on your progress as well. If you continue to reach problems in strength training hit me up and I can guide you on the exact path of exercise and diet I did to see if it’ll work out for you. Keep up the good work!
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    George,
    I have been doing Keto and lifting for the last 7 months, and have actually made great gains in the gym all while dropping fat.
    Here is what I have been doing lately to combat sluggish workouts. ----
    Pre-workout drink includes whey concentrate (not isolate as the fast acting spiked my insulin levels too quickly) or egg protein @ 50-60 grams - 1 TBS of MCT oil (if you can afford it go with powder for happy guts) -- 1 teaspoon of Mortons Lite Salt (higher potassium). I drink this prior to heading to the gym, which is about 45 mins before lifting.

I also drink either BCAA's or Extrogenous Ketones right before lifting to improve energy levels. I have been doing this routine for the last two months with great success.

Finally the last piece is determine your goal and adapt the diet to that. While clinical Keto diets are 80% F- 15% P - 5% C, there maybe no need for that much fat in your diet. If you are looking to gain muscle mass you may need more protein. I consume 1.0 gram for every pound of lean mass. This is about 200-220 grams of protein a day, and I stay in a constant state of Ketosis. May fat macro is only 60-65% of my calories, and I am losing fat at a steady pace while gaining slight muscle mass. The best thing to do is play around and track, track, track. Then go back review your results and adjust.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Reddit has a strong keto community including one called ketogains, which is dedicated to keto and athletics including muscle building. Also just googling keto gains will give you a lot of websites about it.