Why is my Dr. satisfied with an A1C reading in the 6's?

Sandytoes71
Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
Hi, im new to diabetes T2. Im 47 yrs old and was diagnosed with this officially about 5 weeks ago. My Dr.(whom I'm not sure I am going to stick with yet, something rubs me the wrong way about him) has me puzzled. He seems to have set an A1C goal for me of anything below a 7.0. I am currently at 8.0. I didnt think that would be a low enough number (in the 6.0 to 6.9 range)?? He put me on a weekly injection called Trulicity as Metformin just killed my tummy. He said glucose readings under 150 were good. Isnt that too high tho? Im just confused.

On another note, I would love to have more friends who are in this same diabetes boat. Thanks for reading ♡

Ginger 😊

Replies

• Sandytoes71
    Wow, thank u sooo much for explaining all of that. Makes great sense! I did not realize that about the exercise either. Thank u thank u!!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I was diagnosed in 2016. My doctor wanted under 7. The Diabetes Association and metformin was not even getting me BG readings under 200 and I had this vision of adding meds and things not being well controlled. I got a Walmart meter and strips because the OneTouch even with insurance was more expensive. I started paying attention to how I was responding to things I was eating. I discovered that glucose levels for me were mostly a function of carbs consumed. Lower carbs -> lower glucose readings...

I decided that 50 carbs a day was a reasonable limit, and glucose readings were going down. I started looking into this correlation online and found keto and groups like this one. I dropped my carbs per day to 20. I reduced calories and started tracking them to lose some weight

I got my A1C in the mid 5's on metformin, the keto diet and weight loss. The doctor reduced my metformin. The next A1C was even lower. The doctor took me off metformin, and the next A1C was 5.9. The meter is predicting the next A1C will be 5.5.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think many doctors end up shooting for an A1C that seems more attainable rather than one that is healthiest. Meds don't not normally bring A1C down below a 6, and I don't think most patients (or doctors) know how to cut carbs to bring BG down further. :(

I recommend DrBernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a great book on how to reduce BG and insulin. It helped me a great deal.
  • Sandytoes71
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I was diagnosed in 2016. My doctor wanted under 7. The Diabetes Association and metformin was not even getting me BG readings under 200 and I had this vision of adding meds and things not being well controlled. I got a Walmart meter and strips because the OneTouch even with insurance was more expensive. I started paying attention to how I was responding to things I was eating. I discovered that glucose levels for me were mostly a function of carbs consumed. Lower carbs -> lower glucose readings...

I decided that 50 carbs a day was a reasonable limit, and glucose readings were going down. I started looking into this correlation online and found keto and groups like this one. I dropped my carbs per day to 20. I reduced calories and started tracking them to lose some weight

I got my A1C in the mid 5's on metformin, the keto diet and weight loss. The doctor reduced my metformin. The next A1C was even lower. The doctor took me off metformin, and the next A1C was 5.9. The meter is predicting the next A1C will be 5.5.

Kudos to u for ur success!! U must be super proud :) Thank u for the information!
  • Sandytoes71
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think many doctors end up shooting for an A1C that seems more attainable rather than one that is healthiest. Meds don't not normally bring A1C down below a 6, and I don't think most patients (or doctors) know how to cut carbs to bring BG down further. :(

I recommend DrBernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a great book on how to reduce BG and insulin. It helped me a great deal.

Thank u, I will check out that book.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Great suggestions.

A quick note....

Not all Metformin is created equal. I switched to brand name Glucophage XR for a couple years at Dr. Bernstein's (incessant) recommendation, and the theme music of my GI system morphed from "Wellington's Victory" to "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage."

Due to coverage issues, I'm now taking generic Metformin made by Oceanside, and it's working pretty well so far.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    I was diagnosed T2D almost 2 years ago and decided on my own to go for tight control. I was started on 5mgs of glyburide twice a day and 500mgs of metformin twice a day, and I started working out 5 days a week. I also logged my blood sugars and foods religiously to find out what spiked my sugars and what I could still enjoy in moderation. My starting A1C was just under 8%. By the end of the first 6 months, I had dropped that to 5.6% and was having trouble with hypoglycemia, so we cut the metformin and glyburide in half.
    When I say I work out, I mean I started working out hard. I started doing 5ks (and I had not done anything faster than a walk in 30 years), then worked up to a half marathon and a year later, a marathon. I currently training for a triathlon and am doing a few Spartan type races this summer. I also do weights and body weight exercises. In 2 years, I have only lost 10 pounds - but many, many inches.
    Tight control means that my numbers are non-diabetic now. I take metformin once a day now and my doc and I will decide if I need to stay on it at my next visit this fall. I work out hard 5 days a week and thanks to the logging, I know what cheat foods I can eat and still maintain my numbers and what I absolutely cannot have. I had to completely change my lifestyle but it is worth it.
    This is long, sorry, but I should add - my husband is on Trulicity and made no changes at all, and his doctor is satisfied with how he is doing. Everyone's journey is different. I just wanted to keep a tight control of my diabetes for my own peace of mind.
  • nvmomketo
    Congratulations!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty wrote: »

I got another A1C yesterday - 5.6.
  • nvmomketo
    Nice! Very close guess. :)
  • 2t9nty
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Nice! Very close guess. :)

My meter has historically been very close.
  • Jcotman
    Jcotman Posts: 1 Member
    Ginger

My first diagnosis came August of last year with an A1C over 14! Like you, Metformin did a number on my stomach which already felt like crap from my high A1C. He moved me to Januvia and when I started seeing my endocrinologist she moved me to Jardiance and Trulicity. Nothing was wrong with the Januvia, she just felt as though the newer meds would help...plus Trulicity can help with weight loss.

Almost a year later and my A1C is under control (5.5 as of yesterday’s visit) and my BG is fairly good. The fact that your doctor is shooting for that number could be to gauge your commitment to your health. My primary care didn’t want me taking any readings at first but wanted me to go to a diabetic class. I learned there I needed to check my sugar often. My wife was mad though because my doctor said not to but I wasn’t listening to him. It was only when she could see the results did she say I was doing the right thing. If you haven’t had classes yet, I highly encourage you to go to some. Most insurance will cover them with only your copay to be paid.

Drink tons of water, exercise at least 30 a day (my wife and I walk for about an hour) and watch your carbs. I try to keep my carb intake per meal at around 45 grams. I have since lost ove 50 lbs and I plan on losing more! Don’t be discouraged. If you can do the little things then the rest is easy! YOU GOT THIS!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2018
    Jcotman wrote: »
    Ginger

My first diagnosis came August of last year with an A1C over 14! Like you, Metformin did a number on my stomach which already felt like crap from my high A1C. He moved me to Januvia and when I started seeing my endocrinologist she moved me to Jardiance and Trulicity. Nothing was wrong with the Januvia, she just felt as though the newer meds would help...plus Trulicity can help with weight loss.

Almost a year later and my A1C is under control (5.5 as of yesterday’s visit) and my BG is fairly good. The fact that your doctor is shooting for that number could be to gauge your commitment to your health. My primary care didn’t want me taking any readings at first but wanted me to go to a diabetic class. I learned there I needed to check my sugar often. My wife was mad though because my doctor said not to but I wasn’t listening to him. It was only when she could see the results did she say I was doing the right thing. If you haven’t had classes yet, I highly encourage you to go to some. Most insurance will cover them with only your copay to be paid.

Drink tons of water, exercise at least 30 a day (my wife and I walk for about an hour) and watch your carbs. I try to keep my carb intake per meal at around 45 grams. I have since lost ove 50 lbs and I plan on losing more! Don’t be discouraged. If you can do the little things then the rest is easy! YOU GOT THIS!

Good job on the A1c! Question, did your doctor say why he didn't want you taking readings? I had the same experience with the doctor who gave me my diagnosis (have since switched doctors) who sent me home on glimeperide and metformin with not even a meter - which is dangerous, and potentially even deadly, since glimeperide causes lows! I learned after I read stuff on the internet and bought a meter myself that I was dropping into the 60s every morning after exercising! I never got to talk to that doctor about his intentions and wondered if yours explained his reasoning.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    You've made great progress, my dr told me the same about only taking my bg fasting in the am for 3 months on metformin. It was to see if my bg could be managed on 500mg metformin twice a day. That did not work, so I've been on 1000mg twice a day since July 2017. My A1c was 7.1 and now 5.5 I've lost 24lbs