Peloton?

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Hey there - curious if anyone has a Peloton and if so what do you think of it? I pay WAY too much a month for a family gym membership and if I took my husband and daughter off of it i still will pay more than if I were to get a Peloton bike. I spin and have for about 15 years or so. The only classes I do at the gym are spin since nothing else works with my schedule. Something I am considering but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback

Replies

• HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don’t have one but I would ask yourself what do you get from your spin class. I like having others with me and I like the camaraderie in class (although, I know you can do online classes on the bike) I’m not sure that I could spin without that feeling, however, if you can spin and enjoy it, I say go for it!🤗. My friend has an endless pool and loves it, I got in it and was like ok, 2 “laps” I’m done😂
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Make the investment in yourself. If spinning is your exercise passion that you want to do for long term then go for it.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Sadly at my current gym there really isn’t any camaraderie. You may see the same people but you rarely get anything more than a good morning and that’s if you are lucky. I pay $220/mo for family and if I made it just me it would be $130/mo. Peloton to finance would be less than an individual membership including the $39 monthly fee. Plus it comes with a new app they just launched which includes running coaches, yoga, bootcamp etc. Some of their classes even incorporated strength training which I love
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 That seems like A LOT for a gym. I had a membership to a local one about 5 years ago and it was $9/month. (After the initial sign up which was like $70). I live in a smaller town.

Since surgery I've only spent $ on shoes, a couple of bicycles and a weight set. I live in a great climate so it's easy to get lots of outdoor activity. Personally, I don't think I'll ever have a gym membership again. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather spend money on race entries. 😁
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    BTW, I do have a friend who has the Peloton. She likes it and uses it. She has a couple of kids so it makes working out a lot more convenient.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a workout personality thing. I have to physically leave my house because otherwise, I make excuses not to exercise and my couch is too easy to get to. So I hike. My treadmill is gathering dust. I can’t get myself to do it.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    For me as long as I feel a sense of being part of something I think I am fine regardless of whether someone is in the room with me or not. Often times there are vacant bikes next to me and no one really says more than good morning so I don’t feel like I necessarily have an accountability to anyone. I haven’t ever worked out at home but I love to spin and I have heard the Peloton instructors are amazing. Someone in my community offered me to try a class on her bike - plus if friends will do a class at th same time as me there could be some accountability and some fun there :)
  • HappyKat5
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @jcavanna2 Not sure what you have available in your area, but have you ever looked into a community center versus a gym? My community center is actually better than our gyms (we have Lifetime, LA fitness, Planet Fitness to name a few). I find it more people oriented (my opinion) and it just seems more like a family atmosphere than went I went to a more standard gym. They offer 80 free classes and a lot of amenities that I never would have expected. I got a 7 day free trial and joined after my first day! But, I agree, invest in the bike, if you know you will use it.🤗
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    We don’t have any community centers near me. I used to go to the JCC but then they kept getting rid of classes I liked. Lifetime is where I go now - awesome gym but I don’t get enough out of it to justify the cost. Plus I have to work out really early before work - I leave the house around 4:30/4:45 am
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    That’s so funny because I belong to the JCC!😂😂😂. Wow! You are an early bird 🐦
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @HappyKat5 I am definitely an early bird..I am in my office by 7/7:30 at the latest so i need to get my workout done early. My commute home is an hour and a half so I go straight home because I go to bed an hour and a half to two hours after getting home. My daughter also had been trying to make me feel guilty when I am not home in the morning too
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    Sis! Much kudos to you! @jcavanna2 and I know the guilt that comes with having a family.😂😂. Sometimes, I look at my family (especially my kids) and think “Really?” You’re making ME feel bad because I’m asking you to pick up YOUR clothes that YOU wear and put up the dishes that YOU ate from? “Really?”
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @HappyKat5 I feel your pain there! I didn’t go to spin yesterday because of her guilt tripping me. We put our membership at Lifetime on hold starting 7/30. We are still going to research the Peloton - my only fear is that it is novel at first and then becomes a place to ha f my clothes. I don’t think that is what will happen but for me to just keep my membership will cost me the same as financing the Peloton and the monthly fee. With the gym, the family can come once a month to use the pool or whatever which is about how often they come to the gym anyway. Decisions, decisions!
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    I get it. I just have a membership for myself...when the kids were younger, I added them because I could put them on at asummer rate, but then as they got over and wanted to do other interests, I said...”Cool, you save us some pennies!”😂😂. They usually just will hike with dog now. Anyways, I know decisions are hard, but I always say make a pro and con list...which ever looks the best. Choose that🤗
    Good luck @jcavanna2
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting a Peloton or other spin bike and canceling my gym membership because I only like the spin class and an all motion trainer they have.

There are spin classes you can pull from youtube and I thought that might work with a cheaper spin bike. Consumer reports has recommendations for bikes priced around $800 and with a free class on youtube that seems to be the way to go. I also thought about seeing if I could find a used Peloton.

My gym membership is cheap, $45 a month but I still feel it's a waste of money when I don't go.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @loveshoe I agree - if you don’t use something it’s a waste of $$. My membership is $219/mo. If I take my family off it’s still $129 but I don’t get to maximize the gym. I have been getting tons of amazing feedback about the Peloton plus they lunches a new app which includes weight training, running coaches, boot camp etc which I would love to try. I do love weight training but don’t have fun with my trainer and at 5 am I need to have fun. Looks like I will be making an investment in myself in the next few weeks. They offer a 0% no interest financing too so I am going to do that vs taking the $ out of savings plus I look at it essentially as what I would pay for my gym membership. Can’t wait to get it!