Turkey Ground Meat?

idamgreen15
idamgreen15 Posts: 12 Member
I'm curious about Turkey Ground Meat. But scared to try it out. Just wondering if anyone out there can let me know what this tastes like. And also how you prepare it.

Replies

• maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    I use it all the time, as meatloaf or turkey burgers. I just add salsa and a few spices (TexMex by clubhouse) and mix it up a bit. (Quite a bit of salsa, although I don't measure). It makes it nice and moist and adds lots of flavor.
  • idamgreen15
    idamgreen15 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you! Guess I'll be buying me some ground turkey this weekend!
  • MarieAB071967
    MarieAB071967 Posts: 4 Member
    I just about live on ground turkey! It's not over-powering and your body can break it down real easy, and it's cheap! I use the 93/7. A trick I also use is to cook mushrooms with it to seem more meaty. I season with just about anything, spicy one night, italian the next, soy sauce for crack slaw....endless possibilities
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    I only use ground turkey now. I do not quite agree that you can't tell it from ground beef-to me it has a lighter flavor and texture, but at the same time it's good. We use Jenny O brand.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    I agree with @JaiNicole7, the flavor is lighter and you have to cook it at a lower flame as it can easily dry out (less fat content).
    I like to cook it ground with garlic, onion, carrot and peppers and add crushed tomatoes and basil. Or make hamburger patties, meatballs, tacos...just remember to keep things moist.
  • suzie2640
    suzie2640 Posts: 3 Member
    we only use Ground turkey now. Love it!
    I'll have to try the lower flame - the high flame is probably why ours dries out. :-(
    We also have eaten the Shady Brook farms turkey sausage - delish. I make it with zoodles. Yum!
  • kendra27r
    kendra27r Posts: 1 Member
    I just started buying ground turkey last week, we used it for tacos and I was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted! I am going to start using it in other meals now too.
  • Kathie47
    Kathie47 Posts: 3 Member
    I buy ground turkey breast at Whole Foods and use it for turkey lasagna and chili, However, I also like ground White meat chicken for these recipes.
  • jamoca71
    jamoca71 Posts: 2 Member
    We use ground turkey as well! Yummers!!
  • mmea305
    mmea305 Posts: 3 Member
    Making meatloaf with turkey meat for the 1st time hope it comes out well
  • amseymour96
    amseymour96 Posts: 4 Member
    My fiance refuses to eat anything even 1% healthy...i switched ground turkey instead of hamburger and he said he liked it BETTER
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    maureli wrote: »
    I use it all the time, as meatloaf or turkey burgers. I just add salsa and a few spices (TexMex by clubhouse) and mix it up a bit. (Quite a bit of salsa, although I don't measure). It makes it nice and moist and adds lots of flavor.

Thanks for the tip about adding salsa. I tried it last night and it worked great!
  • Time4Coffee
    Time4Coffee Posts: 12 Member
    I like ground turkey when I want something lighter than beef. White bean turkey chili is one of my favorite things to make with ground turkey. My recipe is close to this one, although I use ground turkey rather than the chopped it mentions (and use can of tomatoes): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-turkey-chili
  • 831hiker
    831hiker Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,
    I love ground turkey. I especially like it in stuffed peppers. Savory!
  • Rita7Denise
    Rita7Denise Posts: 27 Member
    I cook spaghetti squash in the microwave to soften, cut it apart and bake it. then mix it with ground turkey and onions and canned tomatoes. I love the flavor
  • Brodie1948
    Brodie1948 Posts: 4 Member
    I make turkey jalfrezi, brown turkey mince, add some peppers, red onion and a tin of tomatoes and add curry powder to taste.
  • melann4180
    melann4180 Posts: 1 Member
    I use ground turkey all the time and my children prefer it over beef and the can tell. I think turkey takes on the flavor of what ever you are cooking.

• MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    We love ground turkey and ground chicken. One of my families favorite recipes is Florentine Meatloaf. I like to serve it with homemade mashed potatoes mixed with Birds Eye’s frozen sour cream and chive mashed cauliflower. It makes great leftovers for lunch too.

Florentine meatloaf:
    1 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
    10 oz chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 egg
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (can add more if needed)

Cook 45 - 60 mins at 350
  • MurFerBin
    MurFerBin Posts: 2 Member
    As other posters do, we use turkey -as ground or whole meat. My personal favorite is to chop fresh mushrooms to add into the patties for a "red meat" flavor, and add a low salt steak seasoning to kick up the flavors. I also pack the crock with sliced onions and 2 T of butter to carmelize on low overnite or for 4+ hours. It makes a lot. but those onions make a huge difference. It makes a lot so we have them over scrambled eggs too. We use a Greek blend, and 5-Spice to perk up our turkey options, or fall back on the lemon pepper to subdue plainness. The little ones like "sliders" made of the onions and burger meat squished between zucchini slices then toasted. Its also a breadless halftime treat.