Tall girl trying to look less big and more slim

Options
cemurphy8322
cemurphy8322 Posts: 2 Member
Does anybody struggle with tall girl problems? “Oh you’re so big” or “amazon woman”. This is the first time, I am really trying to eat for me and my health and work out not just for a bikini. Although, I would like to be long and lean and not get thicker. I have done CrossFit for 6months and ate healthy, but I wound up going up 2 sizes. Anyways, any tips on diets and work out would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• cemurphy8322
    cemurphy8322 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks You for all the helpful advice!!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh, the joys of being a tall girl.

"OMG don't lose any more weight, you are so skinny" - No actually, my BMI is 25, BF% almost 30, and my blood pressure is elevated. I am categorically not as healthy as I can be. (Okay, my BMI has just dropped below 23 for the first time in YEARS, but people did say that back when it was at a BMI of 25, down from 26)

"I'd love to be tall like you" - I'd love to be able to find jeans in normal shops like you, instead of having to go online to get the extra leg length. Or get a dress with a waist that doesn't sit 3 inches higher than should. Or find that 'normal' t-shirts pretty much resemble crop tops.

"You don't need to lose any weight, you are tall" - That's not how this *kitten* works, Karen.

So yeah, calorie count. You were likely feeling more hungry because of the crossfit and overeating still, hence the increase in weight. Calorie counting is where it's at!

(I'm 5'10", down from 183lbs to around 158lbs at the moment)

• ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I'm also tall and regularly surrounded by shorties who average a size 2. When we're together, people look at me like I am the Jolly Green Giant. And I have a medium/large frame so if I dip below a designer's size 6, I look like King-sized Skeletor (and a 6 is pushing it). It was worse when I was competing. Unless I was with my teammates, or within 50 yards of Serena Williams, I was body-shamed for my size or complimented with less than flattering terms (Amazon, sturdy, etc.).

Maybe Cross Fit isn't the right workout for you. Perhaps you want to try something that strengthens without "bulking." A bunch of my friends are dancers. Their regimen creates a lot of length which makes them look taller but might make you appear more slender. Have you tried Pilates, Yoga, Barre, PiYo, or ballroom dancing? It might be worth a shot.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Obviously, not overeating is key. Personally, I think my thinness is a combination of genetics, I have a small frame, and the fact I do kickboxing. It's heavy cardio and bodyweight training, so it doesn't lend itself to packing on muscle. Not that I think Crossfit does either, tbf. You just started working out, I assume? You'll see initial gains and once those plateau, unless you're feeding them (eating in calorie surplus), I don't think you'll see much more.

I'm 5'10/11, a UK size 8, US4, 136.4lbs and on occasion fit into a size UK6, US2, loose-fitting top because of RIP boobs. I'm actually in the weird position, because of my training, I get poked fun at for being light. I'm the tallest woman there but also the lightest. Which is hilarious because I used to be well over 200lbs. Probably still the most shocking comment to me was when someone directly to my face asked me if I eat. You can try and stop me but you won't get far. :lol: No one ever said anything when I was heavier so I never felt the pressure to lose weight. Good or bad, I don't know. But I did and here we are.

Anyway, I'm not saying become a cardio demon, if you don't enjoy it, just find something you enjoy enough to keep your heart healthy. For me, it's just a byproduct and has leaned me out a lot.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Did you lose weight in those 6 months? I wouldn't blame this on your workout necessarily. If you're eating in a surplus and gaining, you'll gain a little muscle and some fat if you're lifting progressively during that time. If you started out with a higher level of body fat, that fat is still there on top of the muscles. That can contribute to looking bigger and thicker. It's not muscle alone from the workouts contributing to it. Being bulky and packing on a ton of muscle is not going to happen in 6 months. If your goal is to appear leaner and lose body fat, you'll want to incorporate a small deficit and buckle down on logging your food correctly while continuing your workouts in order to preserve muscle.
  • Moolatta
    Moolatta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'10". It seems like no matter what I weigh I stay in a size 14.