What foods do you miss?

Options
Tazzy_ralis
Tazzy_ralis Posts: 5 Member
Are there any foods that you miss on the keto diet? I dont really miss chips or cake or other junk food, but I am starting to miss corn. I could quite happily eat corn every single day but I can't because it would throw me over my carbs very easily.

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies... REAL chocolate chip cookies. And cupcakes. Cheesecake. Pie. Okay, all things sweet lol
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    nothing much really but a big bowl of pasta mmmmmm, sometimes that Italian parentage will out!!
  • Matdubya
    Matdubya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Detroit style Greasy Pan Pizza. Thank God for Fathead dough although it's not 100% the same
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is surprising to me that I don’t really miss sweets because I am typically a sugaraholic. I really miss garlic bread and pasta.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Potatoes in all forms. Home fries, french fries, baked, roasted, hash browns.....I love potatoes. I do admittedly eat them occasionally now, but usually only 1 or 2 bites and that usually satisfies the Potato Monster inside of me.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Potatoes in all forms. Home fries, french fries, baked, roasted, hash browns.....I love potatoes. I do admittedly eat them occasionally now, but usually only 1 or 2 bites and that usually satisfies the Potato Monster inside of me.

I'm the same way. I don't really miss chips, but I miss steak fries and hash browns and potato cakes and most everything made out of a potato. And I totally indulge in a couple every now and then. I think I've had like 5 since starting keto a couple on one occasion and three on another. LOL!

Another thing: Apples! I MISS APPLES SO MUCH!! I used to eat one every damned day, and to cut cold turkey was one of the hardest things to do. :cry:
  • Devinpa
    Devinpa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I miss all kinds of fruit and yogurt. I know we can eat full fat yogurt, but it's hard to find and it still has a lot of carbs!
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I miss whatever is in front of me that I can't have when I am in a moment of weakness!

I have found that when I take control of my thoughts and don't even 'go there', I make much better choices. (which is why I usually pass on these types of discussions, because why do I want to dwell on what I am trying to deny myself of?!?)

I sometimes have to go to the extent of not really 'looking' closely at what I am preparing for my kids - kind of detaching myself - because I know that I am not consistently disciplined and want to eat things I am committing to give up right now.

Pasta, good bread, candy, and all things sugar are high on my list of things I miss.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    And potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice....
    See why I can't go there? lol
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Crunchy stuff that isn't celery or lettuce lol
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. OMG
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I miss sweets but as long as I don't have them it is not a physical thing. More of a " I really like those, oh well" sort of thing.

Beer in the summer. And not the gluten free beer I can actually drink. Sorghum beer is just... wrong.
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen blizzards with heath candy bars and peanuts..omg
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hot fries smothered in sauce lol hmmmm and sometimes potato chips and garlic bread. I just find substitutes or eat these on my non keto day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's summertime. I love taboulleh. I can't say I really miss it because I eat it occasionally but not nearly as often as I'd like. It fits into my 50 carbs. :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had a few things that were foods of habit. I used to have toast and hash brown potatoes with the men's breakfast on Friday. I would have an apple fritter at coffee hour on Sunday. For Christmas and birthdays family members would give me chocolate bars with almonds.

I enjoyed all those things, and they were traditional treats. I can't say I miss them really. The interest in them has faded in the light of improved health and weight loss. My last apple fritter was in 2016.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I would have an apple fritter at coffee hour on Sunday.
    I enjoyed all those things, and they were traditional treats. I can't say I miss them really. The interest in them has faded in the light of improved health and weight loss. My last apple fritter was in 2016.
    Boy does that bring back addictive memories, being late after needing to stop for an apple fritter, finding a donut shop in a new town to get them, spilling coffee on my clothes cuz I'd eat them while driving, hiding them so friends wouldn't know how many I ate...

Fun to remember, enjoyed them immensely, no interest to do it again, in fact slightly repulsed knowing they would ruin my life.
    Turned on and repulsed at the same time.
    But because the cravings aren't there,
    indifference has an easy job of holding out.

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been keto now for over 18 months. I haven't done keto perfectly and will on occasion indulge however I will say when I do have carbage I almost always regret it. I don't feel good, the foods don't taste as good as I remember them.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    tifano wrote: »
    I've been keto now for over 18 months. I haven't done keto perfectly and will on occasion indulge however I will say when I do have carbage I almost always regret it. I don't feel good, the foods don't taste as good as I remember them.

Yeah I feel the same way. I am not strict Keto more Low Carb so I don't really miss anything all too much, maybe fruit but I've added that in some here and there when I am not being really strict and in a re-feed mode (up the net carbs). I've gotten to the point where the foods I used to love like pizza, pasta, bread, and cookies just make me feel like poo if I try to eat them now. So I would rather feel better than worse. Plus I can "low carb" a lot of my favorite meals like green chile chicken and cheese enchiladas, remove the tortilla and use chopped green chile will make it low carb. I can substitute the tortilla with a low carb option (not always the best for me) or some type of lunch meat like turkey. My palette has definitely changed quite a bit in the last year.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Xerogs wrote: »
    tifano wrote: »

Yeah I feel the same way. I am not strict Keto more Low Carb so I don't really miss anything all too much, maybe fruit but I've added that in some here and there when I am not being really strict and in a re-feed mode (up the net carbs). I've gotten to the point where the foods I used to love like pizza, pasta, bread, and cookies just make me feel like poo if I try to eat them now. So I would rather feel better than worse. Plus I can "low carb" a lot of my favorite meals like green chile chicken and cheese enchiladas, remove the tortilla and use chopped green chile will make it low carb. I can substitute the tortilla with a low carb option (not always the best for me) or some type of lunch meat like turkey. My palette has definitely changed quite a bit in the last year.

when I've had pasta it's like all I can taste is the white flour. It's gross.

Yes...I too can now just about ketofy anything....