Living The Lifestyle - - Monday, July 9, 2018

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for July are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday -Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Rest Stops

When you have more than a few pounds to lose, it can take quite a long time to lose the weight and reach your final destination. If you've spent significant stretches of time losing weight, have you ever taken DELIBERATE periods of rest from "dieting?" How long of a rest did you allow yourself? How did you know you needed to rest? Did the rest serve its purpose of refreshing you, or did you enjoy it so much it made it harder to get back on the road to dieting?

Bonus Question: Similar to above, if you're driving a long distance, do you stop at regular intervals to give yourself a break or plow through until you're forced to make a stop?

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I had "only" 50 pounds to lose at the beginning. Those 50 came off pretty quickly and easily once I started WW. During that process I fully recognized that the ability to "sprint" to the end was a huge help in my efforts, because I was able to do things that I probably couldn't have sustained for years.

After I lost, it probably took me a good couple of years to really get to a sustainable approach. Perhaps not too surprisingly, that sustainable approach had me maintaining weight at ~10-15 pounds over my personal target weight.

Now that I've decided I really want to re-take-off those 10-15 pounds, I'm finding it harder than I anticipated to get back on the road to "dieting." Perhaps, though, a better way to say that is that it's hard to re-alter my lifestyle with more constricted food intake!

For the bonus question: I plow through until I have to stop.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    It took me two and a half years to lose 30 pounds and get to goal the first time around. I know I took a few deliberate stops during that time where I either ate at maintenance or simply didn't track and hoped for the best, but if I'm being honest the majority of those breaks weren't really planned/scheduled. I'm doing things differently this time because I'm a little wiser from that experience. I hit things hard for sixteen weeks at the beginning of the year. By that I mean I was weighing/measuring/tracking my food and being very mindful of my choices and satiety signals and cooking most of my own meals versus opting for takeout. I recognized I needed a break at week 16. I'd been in a non-weight loss medical study for eight weeks that restricted carbs, and some family issues meant I needed to be out of town even more than normal, so I decided to give myself two weeks of just eating mindfully. That turned into two months. Fortunately, I haven't gained weight.

I needed that rest. Maybe not two months but likely more than the two weeks I initially thought. I knew I needed to rest because I was mentally exhausted from constantly thinking about food macros (because of the study.) I've said it many times before, but for me, weight loss is all about how many "mental points" I use. Too many and I resent it and get exhausted/give up. Too few and I get sloppy. This little break has served its purpose of refreshing me. I'm ready to lose again and plan to re-evaluate in four weeks to see how my full my tank is for weight loss. If I'm not on empty, I'll go another four weeks.

Bonus Question: I spend a lot of time driving. I used to ALWAYS make stops only out of necessity. A couple of years ago, I started taking more breaks (cancer treatment forced the issue,) and I've kept it up when I'm not on a tight schedule. I've been pleasantly surprised at the difference a few breaks can make in how I feel/what I'm able to accomplish even 48 hours later. Who knew.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I lost in two stages. I had long, long stretch at about 215lbs. But it wasn’t by design. That nagging voice in my head never shut up.

I joined WW because I was desperate. By the time I got rolling downward again, I was well rested.

Bonus: I’m going to stop at about 2hrs. I may feel mostly OK pressing ahead. But if I do, I know I’m going to pay for it.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    This last weight loss of 50 pounds was straight through. The previous loss of 130 pounds ended up being 120 pounds and then I stalled and really had to change things up to get the last 10 pounds off.

Bonus: I press through but let my bladder and gas gauge decide stopping points. Bad weather can also force a stop as it did when I was driving back from Virginia in non-stop rain back in April. I ended up stopping overnight in Dayton.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The closest I've come to a deliberate pause is to look at a week (or so) with travel, holidays, or other hurdles and come to grips with a small gain ahead of time.

Bonus question: I like to stop along the way.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,011 Member
    Options
    I've been "stalled" for about three years. Yeah, I know, I SHOULD know better, but I kinda like the LTL at this point. Must start doing better, as TOL complains I'm costing her too much money. (She's regained Lifetime status).

Bonus Question: Every 2 hours fot pit stop, or, like 88olds, I'll pay for it.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,911 Member
    Options
    I have never taken an intentional rest stop, I have however stalled at certain points for periods of up to 3 years (I am at 1 now for the last 6 months). It was never the plan it was just the way it happened.

Bonus question, As a 30 something I did not stop except for gas, as a 60 something with a prostrate issue, about every 90 minutes or so. When I am planning a long drive I like to look at google maps or mapquest ahead of time, and I always say "mapquest says this is a 6.5 hour trip, but mapquest does not have any bladder control issues!"
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,974 Member
    Options
    When I began I has small goals that WW had built in. 5lbs 10, 25 on up to 100. So I had 200 lbs to lose so I chose not to take more than 1 small break at a time like a dessert on a day in the week or something like that. It took about 2 years to hit the 100 lbs mark. When that happened I didn't take a break I just started there for at least 3-4 years. From the up and down took spring if 2017 and I just broke loose and went crazy. So through out the year and and half I gained 50. Happy? No, Regretful yes. So one choice left loose it.

Rest usually about 2-3 hours depending on the length of the trip.

SW 400.8
    CW 342.0
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

58 8 lbs Total lost
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I haven't had much experience with this. What helps to sustain me is that I know if I'm making healthier choices, I'm still benefiting even if it's only in "practicing" the behavior. With insight from GOAD, I accepted quite some time ago what parts of this gig I have control over. I'm so glad I didn't change anything after reaching goal. It doesn't mean I've been perfect and it doesn't mean I haven't gained weight. However, I've not strayed for more than a day or two from my own plan, keeping the bigger picture in mind. I've taken to heart the saying "persistence, not perfection". In light of losing 80 pounds, I'm OK with a fluctuation of 5 or less pounds--maybe not thrilled with it but it's doable for the long haul. What's not doable is reverting to my old behaviors of zero mindfulness and total disregard for my health and its impact on my family.

Bonus: I've noticed as I've gotten older I really HAVE to stop and take breaks on a long drive. I don't fight it--I just make a little extra time for my new reality.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,246 Member
    Options
    I have never taken an intentional rest stop. I have taken several inadvertent "rest" stops, however.