Lets not go through this alone. Add me Cysters.

Options
RiannJazzyJ
RiannJazzyJ Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
Heyy everyone, I am looking for friends who can relate. It's good to have support from others who can actually relate. I have had MFP for years. I managed to lose 40 lbs but then I gained it all back by not sticking with the food tracking and giving up.. I have had extremely irregular cycles and painful periods since I was 13 but I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20. I'm currently 26 and I'm at rock bottom now and I'm fed up. I'm at the heaviest weight I've ever been at and I have inflammation throughout my body. I always seem to be in pain and I have been ttc for almost 3 years. I also suffer mood swings and lack of concentration. I just met a lady a couple of months back who told me she had severe PCOS and she beat it! She is now my friend. That was great news for me because I was told by my gynecologist that it was not curable around the time I was diagnosed. I want to be more happy, healthy and feel young like I should at 26. I'm back in the app and staying especially since the weight is more stubborn this time. My Dad recently passed away January 2018 from severe Type 2 Diabetes so I want to prevent myself from getting it. I need to take charge of my Life and let God give me the strength. I'm here to make some new cyster friends and give my support to other cysters. feel free to add me. 😊❤

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just a random question here, but have you ever heard of vaginal steaming (also called Yoni Steaming?). I ran across it almost completely randomly recently, and it seems really interesting to me.

SteamyChick on Instagram (and elsewhere) has a really good blog/vlog series that has interested me in researching further...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyMaUfIPVwE

Have you ever heard of this??
  • RiannJazzyJ
    Options
    Oh wow I'll have to check it out. I actually haven't heard of it but if it could help in any way I'm open to try new things. Thank you for sharing. :-)
  • RiannJazzyJ
    Options
    I'm going to her website. I want one of my own.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It sounds fabulous, doesn't it? I have spoken to another friend who is a holistic-based person...and she was hesitant, due to her own special circumstances. Be sure to do your research, too... I hope that this can help even one single person!
  • RiannJazzyJ
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I'm definitely going to do more research and if I can find a way to try this I'll let you know if it helps. Thank you again for sharing this. :-)
  • aresvallis
    aresvallis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it, and it sounded sketch at best, but mostly harmless. The only way I'd try it is if I was having a lot of cramping and that for pain relief instead of a hot pad. It's probably just another fad thing because I've seen claims that the steam 'gets up into the uterus' and I'm like 'and how does it get beyond the cervix?"
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    aresvallis wrote: »
    I have heard of it, and it sounded sketch at best, but mostly harmless. The only way I'd try it is if I was having a lot of cramping and that for pain relief instead of a hot pad. It's probably just another fad thing because I've seen claims that the steam 'gets up into the uterus' and I'm like 'and how does it get beyond the cervix?"

@aresvallis

The thing that stood out to me most in the overview video is that UNLESS THERE IS A PHYSIOLOGICAL ISSUE, WE SHOULD NOT HAVE CRAMPS. According to the multiple professionals interviewed, cramps are an indication that something is wrong - something is stuck and won't detach, there is an imbalance in hormones, etc.

Wait, WHAT??? I've had cramps since first got my period as a pre-teen and young teen. I don't really remember being horribly pained until my teens 13/14 ish... (started at 9). BUT, as we here know, having PCOS, that could have been just the first signs of the condition... I remember by the time I was 15 or 16, I was having to miss school over my cycles... By 16, I was on a low level birth control to help manage my cycles.

So now, I'm wondering, had a had systemic and culturally normative access to a device such as this to naturally manage my cycles, would they have ever gotten out of control the way they did? Would I have suffered delayed fertility and then secondary infertility?? Would I have endured horrible bursting cysts??

And now my 17 year old daughter has started the path towards finding a BCP that actually helps her...so this has me wondering...

But, if you're like me, and have enduring purely hellish cycles, with deep bleeding passing a week, incapacitating cramps, and just losing at least a week out of every 4 -- have you ever wondered, how do people in Africa survive this? In the Middle East? In China?? In the countryside of Poland or Ireland or Scotland or England or France? In any part of the more remote areas in any of those European or Asian countries?? In the wild in Australia or New Zealand???

HOW DO THEY SURVIVE?? Obviously, we're missing something. Just going a day without pain meds or any relief is enough to make me question my sanity... So, I just keep thinking that as they can track this back culturally to nearly every continent and ancient culture, perhaps it isn't as "magic pill" as it seems, but there has to be something to it, somehow...

Even as one woman said, even if it is all a placebo effect, it allows us to "let go" of all manner of physical issues...
  • aresvallis
    aresvallis Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    ...Well I actually know how people in Ireland, Scotland and England manage; they go to the NHS which is presumably better literally everywhere but Wales, and mass travel is actually easier than driving but there's less territory for them to have to go, too. France and Republic of Ireland have their own systems. China also doesn't pooh-pooh traditional remedies as often as Western doctors despite the fact that like half of our common medications is traditionally derived like aspirin (willow bark) or penicillin or Valium (valerian root).

But you would be surprised at how different the food/diet of another English speaking country is, much less how different it is in the Middle East or Africa. Few people eat as much sugar and sugar-related foods as we (from North America) do and have vastly different activity levels, and in the last thirty years HFCS has been added into practically *every* processed food from ketchup to soda pop in the US. I'm fairly certain grains and sugar are what is behind PCOS and several other medical issues when you get right down to it; the archaeological record of the Hopewell Civ is littered with how just introducing maize from Mesoamerica changed the overall health of the population within a few generations, and then you have entire families of Navajo who are diabetic right now because of modern diets. I doubt very much PCOS and the like is as much of an issue in other places but I haven't done study into it because it's exhausting just trying to manage my own condition.

I'm very much questioning the idea that vagina steaming has anything to do with "balancing female hormones" as Gwyneth Paltrow says. I just mentioned cramping specifically because heat tends to relieve the pain for me. This sounds far too much of a quack fad to have anything remotely related to actual traditional medicine after I dug into it a bit. I tend to research pre-Christian era remedies and herbology as part of my anthropology degree. You're more likely to balance hormones drinking raspberry leaf tea (an actual traditional remedy that has been proven to work, btw) or fenugreek/blessed thistle. Fenugreek in particular has been shown to be good for balancing diabetic blood sugar levels so I've been looking into getting some tea. My mother used to swear by raspberry leaf tea for her cramps.